Contribute
Register

Catalina on Dell XPS 9500 (year 2020 model) (OpenCore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've definitely found a few issues with it...

1.) I personally can't get imessages working, I've googled and cleared cache, even called apple and my ID wasn't blacklisted...No idea. but that's not a huge deal.

2.) the screen goes black and won't come back until reboot if you close the laptop or if you let the screen itself go to sleep. Not the computer...Just the screen. This is the biggest issue I have found

3.) I get an error trying to update to Big Sur, the app pkg one...Not even sure if this is capable of updating to big sur, But again, small issue. Was able to get it working somehow.

4.) The trackpad works "ok" some gestures are kind of...well terrible...

5.) Something is wrong with the audio...it distorts pretty heavily at higher volumes.

6.) The wifi speed is terrible, but that's an openintelwireless issue that's been known on their GitHub apparently.

Edit:
Updated to openintelwireless alpha version 1.3.0 speeds are increased. Not great. But a lot better.

Conclusion: Can you MacOS on a Dell XPS 9500, Yes. Is it worth the drawbacks? If the screen and wifi speed were fixed id say yes, but with those big issues it's not close to ready for a daily driver hackintosh.

the iMessages issue is basically based on luck it seems to get it working fully. But I don't really need imessage. The trackpad is good enough. The big sur update, eh...That's whatever. It will work eventually.

But the driver issues are showstoppers.

Either way thanks for your work zachs. Hopefully, it eventually becomes as stable as an apple laptop itself.

Last edited:
Iam using XPS 15 9500 with Catalina, and i have to say its almost perfect.

- Trackpad, all Gestures are working, nice precision, better than under Windows ( you have to disable Touchscreen in Bios and disable "haptik" in preferences in MacOS Trackpad setting. Then stuttering and non working touchpad is fixed. I never had a better working Trackpad with a hackintosh-device.

- Bluetooth and Wifi are working too. Sure, WiFi is a little bit slow and sometimes buggy, but iam sure this will be fixed in future releases. BT Devices are working too, I only cant pair my Logitech MX Master 3, its a known problem and caused from Logitech. (Real Mac do have the problems too). AirDrop is not working, but the devs are already on fixing that. Should be fixed with newer Intel-Wifi kexts.

- I had to disable sleep. Because the Dell supports S3 buts its not good implented. (Sleep works, but hangs on wake). Same Problem in Windows and Linux. Thanks to Dell and Microsoft for this **** called S0i3 Sleep. :/ Maybe Dell will bring a Bios-Update... but i dont believe in that.

Hello, it's my first time doing a hackintosh and I can't even make the installer working..
I've followed the OpenCore Guide, skipped the EFI part using the one from the @zachs78
repo and done the GenSMBIOS thing to configure config.plist

I've disabled Cfg, Fingerprint and secureboot

But I have the apple logo, and then a loading bar, just before the computer reboots. (still the installer, not even installed)
I'm obviously using a Dell XPS 9500
I am missing something?
Thank you

Hello, it's my first time doing a hackintosh and I can't even make the installer working..
I've followed the OpenCore Guide, skipped the EFI part using the one from the @zachs78
repo and done the GenSMBIOS thing to configure config.plist

I've disabled Cfg, Fingerprint and secureboot

But I have the apple logo, and then a loading bar, just before the computer reboots. (still the installer, not even installed)
I'm obviously using a Dell XPS 9500
I am missing something?
Thank you
Try to Disable SecureBoot in config plist.

Hey guys, maybe somebody is alive here...I have some issue with two external displays. My catalina works well with one external display, but with two the internal display goes black, the only solution to make it work is hard reboot. Is possible to make internal display work after unplug external without reboot?

- Trackpad, all Gestures are working, nice precision, better than under Windows ( you have to disable Touchscreen in Bios and disable "haptik" in preferences in MacOS Trackpad setting. Then stuttering and non working touchpad is fixed. I never had a better working Trackpad with a hackintosh-device.

- Bluetooth and Wifi are working too. Sure, WiFi is a little bit slow and sometimes buggy, but iam sure this will be fixed in future releases. BT Devices are working too, I only cant pair my Logitech MX Master 3, its a known problem and caused from Logitech. (Real Mac do have the problems too). AirDrop is not working, but the devs are already on fixing that. Should be fixed with newer Intel-Wifi kexts.

- I had to disable sleep. Because the Dell supports S3 buts its not good implented. (Sleep works, but hangs on wake). Same Problem in Windows and Linux. Thanks to Dell and Microsoft for this **** called S0i3 Sleep. :/ Maybe Dell will bring a Bios-Update... but i dont believe in that.
HI , could you share the EFI files? I just got 9500 and try to hackin it. Thank you !

HI , could you share the EFI files? I just got 9500 and try to hackin it. Thank you !
Big Sur on XPS 9500 is almost perfect too, you can search internet for the EFI folder.

Hi all,

Since sleep/wake does not work on this laptop, is it possible to use hibernation instead?

Best regards.

Sleep does work for me on XPS 9700.

Turn off the Early Signs of Life option in BIOS. I think this is breaking sleep when it hangs on wake. I've done that for a number of XPS and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back