Contribute
Register

Clover EFI boot Dell Latitude E6510

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this as fast as I could. Turns out I had a CPU-Z doc saved in Evernote. Win.

CPU is M520. I believe I have NVIDIA solo. No Intel. I wasn't sure how to ID to motherboard model but I think it is the 0N5KHN. Here is a cut and paste:

Chipset
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge rev. 02
Southbridge Intel QM57 rev. 05
Graphic Interface PCI-Express

Monitoring
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mainboard Model 0N5KHN (0x00000194 - 0x005189C0)

Chipset is QM57. CPU is i5-520M. Don't guess about your graphics configuration -- find out for sure. You can use CPU-Z on Windows or 'lspci -nn' in Linux Terminal.

It is a pretty old computer. UEFI may not be implemented correctly.

You could also try copying CLOVERX64.efi to \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi.

Chipset is QM57. CPU is i5-520M. Don't guess about your graphics configuration -- find out for sure.
I checked and I have no indication I have any Intel graphics. Only NVIDIA.

It is a pretty old computer. UEFI may not be implemented correctly.
I suppose that is always a possibility. When I install UEFI Windows 7 first to a GPT disk it works though, up until I add an HFS+J partition. This suggests I could get it working.

You could also try copying CLOVERX64.efi to \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi.
I will be happy to try this. But evidently all UEFI booting gets broken the moment Mac Disk Utility is used to make an HFS+J partition on my drive. I haven't wrapped my head around how this will clear my current hurdle but I will DEFINITELY keep this step in mind as I continue to chip at this issue.

(Btw if anyone wants to attack this issue first hand I'll be happy to FaceTime my iPhone 5, set it on a coffee cup, and point it at my monitor and follow precise instruction, if you can handle the terrible cafe music. o_O I've already confirmed with my friend who was watching me that he can read the screen and it is a decent setup. I'll be a decent human being if you care to give it a spin and you like puzzles.)

I suppose that is always a possibility. When I install UEFI Windows 7 first to a GPT disk it works though, up until I add an HFS+J partition. This suggests I could get it working.

It also suggests it may be buggy.

I bypassed Disk Utility and had success dual booting: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-boo...-after-adding-mac-partition-2.html#post879212

I now have Clover booting from \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi . It boots Windows just fine.

The problem is that when I boot my MAC-OSX 10.8.0 partition from HD using Clover, the screen goes black. That's all. Laptop stays powered but screen goes black with no cursor. Zero activity.

I can boot this Mac partition by inserting Unibeast 10.8.0 USB and booting the HD partition using Chameleon, but my goal is to stop depending on this damn USB stick to boot my Mac environment. Any advice is appreciated. I'm not even sure where to go from here.

I bypassed Disk Utility and had success dual booting: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-boo...-after-adding-mac-partition-2.html#post879212

I now have Clover booting from \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi . It boots Windows just fine.

The problem is that when I boot my MAC-OSX 10.8.0 partition from HD using Clover, the screen goes black. That's all. Laptop stays powered but screen goes black with no cursor. Zero activity.

Probably an issue with your graphics configuration.

Probably an issue with your graphics configuration.
I'm afraid I don't know what this means. I think it means to fiddle around with this: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Graphics

All combinations I've tried haven't yielded anything yet.

My instinct says this is somehow "disconnected" from executable components. The machine is completely inactive. There's no hard drive light or anything. No work is being done. Selecting "Boot Mac OS X" from hard drive might as well be a "Hide Clover" option. It happens so fast it feels like clover didn't even exit but decided to black the screen like I hit a "boss key." I don't get the impression that a handoff has taken place.

I was using Clover Configurator and somehow Clover's plist got corrupted or massively changed and suddenly it started working. I no longer get stuck on a black screen when selecting Mac.

New issue: Mac starts to load, I see a white screen for 3-10 seconds, then I see rainbow screen tears for a quarter of a second and my laptop reboots. I have not been able to fix this after hours of googling.

As usual, booting with Unibeast 10.8.0 USB stick still works.

I was using Clover Configurator and somehow Clover's plist got corrupted or massively changed and suddenly it started working. I no longer get stuck on a black screen when selecting Mac.

New issue: Mac starts to load, I see a white screen for 3-10 seconds, then I see rainbow screen tears for a quarter of a second and my laptop reboots. I have not been able to fix this after hours of googling.

As usual, booting with Unibeast 10.8.0 USB stick still works.

I don't really know what you need to do for your nvidia (it is somewhat rare), but I'll look at what you have currently...

Post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

I don't really know what you need to do for your nvidia (it is somewhat rare), but I'll look at what you have currently...
As requested.

Attachments

• IOReg.zip
    401.9 KB · Views: 160
As requested.

You might look in ioreg, IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/AGP@100000/VID@0. There you can see all the properties that Chimera is injecting. You could inject the same properties with DSDT (_DSM injection).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back