Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H Gaming
CPU
i7-14700K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I'm sourcing out parts for new hack and have decided with the Z790 chipset, i7-14700K, and GPU is RX 6600 XT. I'm still searching around for mobo and was set on ROG Strix but not so sure at the moment. Now I've been doing some research and reading articles but can't decide on what the difference is with CAS/CL timings and speed specifically on DDR5. The rule of thumb for DDR4 was the lower the better for CL and speed would not make so much of a difference unless doing labor-intensive tasks. I'm aiming for 2x32gb sticks but can't decide if the CL or the memory speed matters more. Don't necessarily have a budget for it but don't want to break the bank either. I'd like this system to be build once and forget for years to come. Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.

Make sure you check the RAM you purchase is listed in the Memory QVL, for whichever motherboard you buy. Then look for the RAM that fits your budget.

DDDR5 RAM starts at a higher speed than DDR4, so I doubt even the base speed 5600MHz RAM would be bad. Nearly all the DDR5 modules I have seen, appear to have high CL counts (30+) so I don't think you are going to be able to make a choice based on the CL count.

Ensuring the memory has an overclocking ability might give a bigger performance boost, to say some 6000MHz RAM.

Thanks for your reply. After much research, I chose the G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 f5-6400j3239g32gx2-tz5rk. Do you know 14th gen CPUs are supported? Think I've seen like 1 guide on here.

Thanks for your reply. After much research, I chose the G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 f5-6400j3239g32gx2-tz5rk. Do you know 14th gen CPUs are supported? Think I've seen like 1 guide on here.
Hello,
If your motherboard is ROG STRIX Z790-H GAMING WIFI then check/search here :

Cheers :)

Do you know 14th gen CPUs are supported? Think I've seen like 1 guide on here.

Yes they are. Well not officially in any Apple sense, but they are fine. They need a CPU "spoof" obviously and 14th gen just needs a little more care with the BIOS.

And DDR5 is fine too.

:)

Yes they are. Well not officially in any Apple sense, but they are fine. They need "spoof" obviously. 14th gen just needs a little more care with the BIOS.

And DDR5 is fine too.

Haha thanks @UtterDisbelief.. you're actually the only person I've seen with 14th gen B760 build on here. Trying to see how much work I have cut out for me.

Haha thanks @UtterDisbelief.. you're actually the only person I've seen with 14th gen B760 build on here. Trying to see how much work I have cut out for me.

i'm sure you'll be fine. :thumbup:

And you just need the extra "agdpmod=pikera" boot argument for your GPU. I recently bought a new RX 5600 and that's all that needs to be added.

Back