Contribute
Register

Does it matter which brand of graphics card you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CustoMac Pro
CPU
Core i5 2500K
Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

Have been having great success with my hackintosh so far however now feeling the need to get a graphics card.

Had a quick look at the CustoMac Buyers Guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/375-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-august-2013.html#gfx_cards) and noticed that for each graphics card there were multiple manufacturers eg Asus, Gigabyte etc. My question is:

Does it matter which manufacturer you go for or will they all work OOB? Is one particularly better than any of the others?

Thanks!

Hi All,

Have been having great success with my hackintosh so far however now feeling the need to get a graphics card.

Had a quick look at the CustoMac Buyers Guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/375-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-august-2013.html#gfx_cards) and noticed that for each graphics card there were multiple manufacturers eg Asus, Gigabyte etc. My question is:

Does it matter which manufacturer you go for or will they all work OOB? Is one particularly better than any of the others?

Thanks!

The brand will not matter, you can fit any of the recommended cards (its best to be using 10.8.4) http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...7xx-kepler-cards-work-graphicsenabler-no.html

Adrian B

The brand does matter. I have tried several cards in my Hackintosh and within the same chipset there are differences how good a card will work. The problems some brands have are mainly random lockups when using the GPU or not functional sleep.

What is the higher quality brand to buy?

ASUS is building very good 600 and 700 GTX cards with the best cooling solution on the market.
EVGA is offering very good overclocking cards and ALLOWS to change the cooler without voiding the guarantee.

ASUS is building very good 600 and 700 GTX cards with the best cooling solution on the market.
EVGA is offering very good overclocking cards and ALLOWS to change the cooler without voiding the guarantee.

That is really great info. Thank you! Think I'll go with EVGA now...they have a $10 rebate until 8/31

That is really great info. Thank you! Think I'll go with EVGA now...they have a $10 rebate until 8/31

My old EVGA 560 Ti FBP worked without problems under Lion, but I had freezing Problems with my ASUS 660 Ti Direct CU and my EVGA 460 GTX. On both cards sleep wouldn't work, but both cards run perfect under Windows.

My current MSI 770 Lightning works perfectly as if it was made by Apple ;)

My Asus GTX660 DC2-OC have been nothing but success.
No drivers, no issues, all 4 ports works out of the box (using 4x screens).
The card is fast and quiet.

It replaced a Gigabyte GTX285 which have worked like champ.
I was so happy with the GTX285 that I kept it in my Sandy Bridge hack after I retired it from my Core 2 Duo build.
It's still in daily use in my fathers hack, which is basically my old one with a few changed parts :D

Before the Gigabyte GTX285 I had a MSI 9800GT, which died a little after one year in use..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back