Graphics
Evga GTX 750Ti sc
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
my current pc is running windows 10 and i want to dual boot it with os x el capitan. is there a way i can get os x on it without losing my data from windows 10?

my current pc is running windows 10 and i want to dual boot it with os x el capitan. is there a way i can get os x on it without losing my data from windows 10?

Depends. Open the Windows disk management app. Look at your Win10 drive - how many partitions in front of (C:\) xxxxGB NTFS Healthy (boot, page file, crash dump, Primary Partition)?

Normal Win10 UEFI has partitions WinRe, EFI, MSR, (C:\) NTFS, Recovery
If EFI partition is present, what size? If less than 200MB, OS X will not install.

I'm in a similar situation with a newly purchased computer. My Disk Management says I have 500mb on the "System Reserved" partition and nothing else. Does this allow me to install El Capitan? Or do I need to format?

Attachments

• Picture.png
    Picture.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,409
I'm in a similar situation with a newly purchased computer. My Disk Management says I have 500mb on the "System Reserved" partition and nothing else. Does this allow me to install El Capitan? Or do I need to format?

Your problem is that Windows is installed Legacy mode, probably on MBR partition tables and El Capitan requires Clover to boot it.
This is no big deal if installing OS X on a separate drive from Windows. Just select the Legacy options when building your USB installer and when installing Clover onto your new OS X HDD/SSD.

So I have a similar question based off of this question and am new around here. I have a windows 10 pc and want to install Mountain Lion and it will be on a separate Disc. However, I have been a pc destroyer for a decade and a half and grew up thinking OSX on a PC is not going to happen. That being said, my 10 pc can be dumped.....if needed. I started to look at this process:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Question is, without a mac on hand but having the OSX.....will this work?

Thank you or anyone that takes the time to answer me. This build is for my daughter who is a school teacher. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

:D

So I have a similar question based off of this question and am new around here. I have a windows 10 pc and want to install Mountain Lion and it will be on a separate Disc. However, I have been a pc destroyer for a decade and a half and grew up thinking OSX on a PC is not going to happen. That being said, my 10 pc can be dumped.....if needed. I started to look at this process:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Question is, without a mac on hand but having the OSX.....will this work?

Thank you or anyone that takes the time to answer me. This build is for my daughter who is a school teacher. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

:D

Without knowing your hardware is impossible to say for sure. PC must be Intel board/CPU.

AMD CPUs will not work with the methods and tools on this site.

Look at your disk structure in the disk management tool. Does it show System Reserved as first partition or WinRE Tools? This will tell you if it is installed UEFI or Legacy mode.

Intel i7 12gb mem Asus rampage 2 gene board with ufei. And I'm gonna clean boot everything onto separate drives.

Intel i7 12gb mem Asus rampage 2 gene board with ufei. And I'm gonna clean boot everything onto separate drives.

Great. Now follow the forum rules and put this info into your profile and/or create a sig with it.

Still does not tell if you installed Win10 UEFI mode or legacy mode.

Click start, type msinfo32 and hit enter. Post pic of resulting screen.

Alright, sorry for jumping the gun and then taking forever to get back to this.

Any help.... would be appreciated

Attachments

• teachpc.jpg
    teachpc.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,324
Alright, sorry for jumping the gun and then taking forever to get back to this.

Any help.... would be appreciated

So Windows is definitely installed Legacy mode.

Procedure for dual boot install on separate drives:

Since you already have Windows installed, we will skip the first steps.

Next, disconnect the Windows drive.
Connect blank drive for OS X.
Follow guide to install OS X.
If installing 10.10.x Yosemite and earlier, just use Chimera boot loader available in MultiBeast post install tool after installation. If installing El Capitan, use Clover installed Legacy mode with MultiBeast.
Shutdown, reconnect Windows drive, boot to BIOS and make the OS X drive first in BBS HDD boot order, save&exit, continue boot.
Select the OS X icon for OS X at the boot screen or select the System Reserved icon for booting Windows.

The above presupposes you have created a UniBeast USB installer to install OS X. Since you say you have no access to a Mac, then you need to purchase a Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail installation DVD from Apple - http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Download the iBoot 3.3.0 image and restore/burn it to a CD.
With your Windows drive disconnected and a blank drive connected, boot with iBoot, swap the iBoot CD for the SL DVD. Wait until drive activity stops, hit F5 to refresh, hit the down arrow to hi-lite boot verbose mode and hit enter.
If it does not go straight to the install screen post a pic of where the boot process stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back