RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Portable
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Edit: Mac Pro Mod with Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 rev2.0 + Yosemite

I finish my MOD some weeks ago and I decided to share some of my impressions about building a hackintosh into a MAC Pro Case with the users of this forum...
For the OS part their is not so much to say, I follow the Karosho's Build, I have the same MOBO (Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3)expect for the revision, my is 2.0 and he got a 1.0... It's perfect because he also show the photos of the BIOS.
I have two HD one SSD with Sierra (128GB) and one for Data (1TB)
Now using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2047M

I manage to make the Audio cable of the front panel working (My Headphones are working.)
Here is the configuration:
Left Chanel (HP_L) : Grey
Right Chanel (HP_R) : Black
Ground: Brown (red)
There is 2 more cables (That I DON'T USE)
Purple: On other forum they say that it must be the SENSE.
Cable shielding, must be ground, but I don't use it...

The MOD:
I buy my case in Guangzhou (China), I have a chance to go their every 6 month, and my hotel is at 5 minutes of the electronic city... I paid 1000RMB for my second hand case with the font panel and all the cables... The guy have a lot of cases and parts, it is a funny place...

Back at home my first worry was to fit an BIG ATX MOBO inside the MAC PRO case...and... it fit JUST right. I see a lot of guys on this forum asking for this question and going for a G5 case (Because the space is bigger)...
The only thing is that you CANNOT use 2 of the 4 HD trays... (Check the photos below)

for the front panel, I use this connection but I was unable to get the USB to work. After some research on different forum, I decided to use 5 volts power to the pin 5 and 7 and at my big surprise IT WORK.
On the SATA plug, I only use the green + data and white - data, and NOT the ground...
I don't use the firewire...
frontpanel.jpg

frontpanel2.jpg

usb.jpg

The Front fans:
After some testing everything was working fine, except for my 2 HD temperature... My 1TB was running around 48 degrees and my 320GB around 51 degrees which is TOO hot. So I order a PLEXIGLASS mount for add 2 fans in the front...
Now my temps are down to respectively 36 and 38 degrees...

I also add a tray button for my DVD, but I think that I put it on a wrong place because it look pretty ugly...

You can check my photos below for more details.
I hope this can help some people on this forum and I want to thanks all of you for giving me so many fun reading this forum and building my hacintosh ...
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Mac Pro Mod with Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 rev2.0

Nice job! !
Boy that mobo is a very tight fit lol. Do you have two DVD drives going with it?
Did you reuse the original Logicboard standoffs?

eelhead said:
Nice job! !
Boy that mobo is a very tight fit lol. Do you have two DVD drives going with it?
Did you reuse the original Logicboard standoffs?
Yes, there is just 1 or 2 mm up and down, I have no idea if ALL the ATX mobo are exactly the same size but I suppose it is...
I use the original standoffs and just glue them again, the easier way is to fix them on the motherboard first so you are sure that they are at the right place. I had to do it 2 times because 3 of the stands didn't glue good...
I only have one dvd drive, it is a new one. I try to install OSX with my old IDE but I got KP all the time. I may try to install the IDE DVD drive again, to see if after OSX installation I still have a KP...
Or maybe I will buy a Blue-ray... :?
cheers... :)

I am having the hardest time getting to the point where I can yank out the power supply. How did you get to the top shelf? or did your case come without a power supply. I have pulled out all of the screws, and it seems like those stupid blind nuts are probably what is holding me up. Did you have to pull out the locking mechanism for the side panel?

mkteagle said:
I am having the hardest time getting to the point where I can yank out the power supply. How did you get to the top shelf? or did your case come without a power supply. I have pulled out all of the screws, and it seems like those stupid blind nuts are probably what is holding me up. Did you have to pull out the locking mechanism for the side panel?

I am sorry, I cannot answer your question because my box come without power supply...
There is others guys on this forum who buy boxes with everything inside, try to search for it...
Sorry again... :oops:

mkteagle said:
Well if it's like a G5 case you need to look at the three latches that hold the side panel on, they have a clip on the back of them. Flip case upside down. They are simply pressed in and easily removed with a small screwdriver. You pop those clips off and the three latches pull right out after that. Then you undo the screws along that channel, I think there is 5 or 6 of those, they are torx bit (forgot what size). Once that is done you need to go to where the latch is connected and remove the little c clip on the pin and pull out pin from inside. Once the plastic rail is unfastened from the latch lever and all screws are out you can see that it is slotted with one end of each slot wider for the screw studs. You move that plastic rail so the wider openings are aligned with the studs and pull rail out with a slight twist. Once removed you then do all the little black screws along the other panel holding shelf on. And that should be it, shelf should be easily removed and you can cut to size if thats what your doing. May I suggest though leaving just enough of the metal on the front edge so you can mount it back in with the plastic tray like the photo above. It keeps it tight together along the rail with the metal.

Edit: I see the Mac Pro has 4 latches that hold the panel, a G5 has only Three. Still might be the same.

Also this is the G5 dismantle so hopefully it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back