CPU
Intel BX80684I78700K 8th Gen Core i7-8700K Processor
Graphics
SAPPHIRE Pulse Radeon RX 580 8G GDDR5 Dual HDMI/DVI-D/Dual DP Graphics Card
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Hi all,

I've just done a fresh installation as I've been having some problems since upgrading to Catalina.

But I'm not quite sure if I am chasing my tail trying to make something work that can't (or I shouldn't be).

My main issue is FCPX.

Should I be able to select the 630 in the preferences for render?

I have an RX 580 as my main GPU, but - from what I can gather - FCPX should be able to use the 630 on the 8700k to lighten the load.

I've finally managed to get activity monitor showing both the Radeon RX 580 (Slot 0, GPU 2) and Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Slot 0, GPU 1).

And Videoproc shows the 630 has h/w acceleration. I can't work out how to test the RX 580 with it though?

My problem now though is I FCPX is crashing on startup.

I can get this fixed, but when I fix it, either the 630 doesn't show up properly (or maybe it does, tbh I've been doing this so long I'm getting myself confused).

But even when FCPX does load, in the preferences the render option is always greyed out and the RX580 is selected. Should I be able to set that to the UHD 630 for FCPX to make use of it?

I've tried various SMBIOS's too. In fact, I've tried most things and feel so close, but yet so far!

Thanks

Hmm, I may have fixed it.

All I did, which goes against a lot of what I've read, is change the bios so the default card was the iGPU instead of the dGPU.

No FCPX not only starts, it also exports H264, and while it is exporting, activity monitor shows the 630 is being used.

I still can't select the 630 in the FCPX preferences, but does that sound like it is working ok?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back