Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro crashing, GPU acting up (Radeon Vega 64 Frontier Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z490 Vision D
CPU
10th Gen Intel Core i9
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Hi all,

I recently built a Hackintosh for my work as a video editor, but have had trouble running Final Cut Pro (Version 10.5). When I open up the software, it immediately starts screaming with fans on an extreme high. The 2-3 times I've tried editing with FCP, it consistently crashes the project and takes too long of time to get a 2min video done. DaVinci Resolve seems to do a lot better but still notice the GPU working hard for it.

Another thing I've noticed with the GPU is that it's extremely sensitive to external monitors. I only have 2 HDMI monitors hooked up currently, but it sometimes decides not to recognize it and doesn't want to recognize a 3rd monitor at all (although the 3rd one was USB-C).

I'm pretty convinced that the GPU I have currently (Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB) is not compatible with the current OS of the Hackintosh.

Current specs:

Mac OS Catalina, 10.15.7
CPU 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB (3200MHz DDR4)
GPU Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z490

Can I get some advice on what I can improve on and/or get some insight on what is happening? If the GPU has to be swapped out with something else, please give me some suggestions as more than willing to do that as soon as possible. I'm looking in the ballpark of $400-700 for a new one if it needs to be replaced.

Anything would help. Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Brandon

I'm not sure, but have you tried adding the 'SSDT-X570-Vega64-slot-1.aml' to your ACPI folder? It may help if it has something like that (for the system to recognise and control).

As for the FCPX crashing, have you tried say enabling the Above 4G Decoding option in BIOS? It's crashing probably because some part of the memory in system isn't being recognised or handled properly or needs patching. Either that or enabling SetupVirtualMap option in Opencore Configurator may help.

Sometimes the instability also occurs because the system RAM speed has been set too high. I've heard from many people having Z490 chipsets that when it goes above a certain threshold (say 3600Mhz) the system will outright crash. Bringing it back down to say 2666Mhz may help.

If you still have issues a good way to diagnose the issues is to look into your system's Console logs in Applications > Utilities and see what has occurred there. Look to when the FCPX runs and what happens when it crashes, it should tell you something.

Thanks for the response and apologies on the late report back.

I found a temporary solution that kind of fixed it and I'm embarrassed to admit this.. there are 3 ports to plug in the GPU. What I didn't know on this motherboard is that every port outputted something different: "the top (primary) slot runs up to x16 while the middle slot is x8 and the bottom slot runs at a maximum of x4."

Mine was in the middle one as when I was building it, I needed to get to the M2 slots (which the primary one covered). Now that I've switched it to the primary plug, it runs smoother and freaks out less.

To go over your pointers:
  • I haven't tried adding the aml file to the ACPI folder yet. What would that do and where I can find that?
  • I didn't see the "enable 4G Decoding" option in the bios. I looked into it, but it may not pop up for the Frontier 16GB edition. Thoughts?
  • I've tried lowering the speed of RAM but it didn't do much.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a new problem I'm having right now. I'm no longer using Final Cut and using Davinci Resolve. With moving the GPU to the primary slot, things ran a lot better for sure. But now it's crashing as I am doing a pretty big project (not unordinary - 5-10 overlay videos with some editing done on them individually, some text, audio and that's it.

How it crashes is very random. Just now it just flashed and stopped (photo attached), another time it just went black. Any idea on why this is happening?

Obviously I'm very new to this Hackintosh thing but I've got good parts, GPU is responding normally until it gets to some heavy editing (which is why I built this machine in the first place).

Another quick thing I noticed: I thought that maybe Windows would run Davinci better so I hop into the PC side but it's not recognizing my other 2 monitors. Do you think this has to do anything with the GPU or perhaps downloading the most current drivers for it?

Please help!! Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpeg
    IMG_0199.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back