1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
I've been looking around online, and have yet to see anybody who has no used the stock front panel. I think it's great to use, and if it works, then even better, but I've come across a small problem. The panel I have is model 630-2836-A which has a lot more 'stuff' on it. I'm wondering A) If anybody has still used this panel or B) If anyone has done a mod without using the stock panel. I have a few half baked ideas, but none elegant enough to be put into an Apple case.
:p

Here is a link to a similar panel. http://goo.gl/kw8TB

Hi,
I've been looking around online, and have yet to see anybody who has no used the stock front panel. I think it's great to use, and if it works, then even better, but I've come across a small problem. The panel I have is model 630-2836-A which has a lot more 'stuff' on it. I'm wondering A) If anybody has still used this panel or B) If anyone has done a mod without using the stock panel. I have a few half baked ideas, but none elegant enough to be put into an Apple case.

I believe the one you have was used in the Blue G3 models and the PCI graphics G4, also known as "Yikes". The board I've seen used here the most is from the G4 AGP graphics model. It's allot simpler in design and easier to mod. You can buy them on eBay pretty cheaply. "Just search for Powermac G4 power button". I just did a quick search and found one for $5.

I had one of those G4 ZIF socket / PCI graphics (YIKES!) models that I got used back in 2002. From what I remember it was identical in nearly every way to the G3 B&W except for the CPU and the outer plastic panels.

Hi,

Hi

I built a Quicksilver Mod and used all of the original exterior including the power button.

I must say though that my project was s salvage one, it was converting an Acer Veriton S670G into a Customac inside of a Quicksilver case.

Firstly I got the cable that connects to the motherboard which was kindly split into different sections. There were 2 cables for "Storage", "Power" "Power LED" and "Network". Turning the system on from the "Power" cables was simply a case of making them connect or "short" together.

To make these work with the original button, I simply soldered a wire to each end of the circular switch for power, so that when the Power button was pressed, a contact was made and the system powered on. However, it is important that these wires do no short. I therefore savagely used a screwdriver to scratch out any pre-printed wiring inside the box relating to the power button to avoid the flow of electricity to anything else.

As for the "Power LED", if you turn on your Customac and simply put the wires onto the LED contacts at the back of the board, you can work out the polarity in which the cables need to be soldered on.

Just solder everything in place and avoid any shortings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back