Contribute
Register

G4 Cube with Z77n-wifi,i3 3225

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice build Rossi...and glad my wiring tutorial helped.

Looking forward to your second cube!

Thanks Minihack, It was your tutorial that persuaded me to stick with the original switch, and I'm glad I did because it works flawlessly with minimal wiring. I now have the dilemma with the next cube, of which motherboard to use, because the Z77n combined with the i3 3225 is a pretty awesome little combo. Now that I can squeeze both RAM modules in I will bump it up to 16gig and see what the GB score is. I put it through GB stress test for a bit over 10 minutes and it reported no errors with a top temp of 61deg C. I think I'll have to sit on it and see what Gigabyte comes out with their thin configurations, I hope they release a non AIO board without all the LVDS ports and headers as that would bring the costs down for something I don't need in the build.

Hi Rossi, Glad to see your build worked out, especially the power switch modification. I had heard that the switch proximity to other components did affect its functionality but seems like you had no trouble which is reassuring for when I attack my Cube. In the mean time I though you might be interested in my G4 Cube inspired project. Link is in my signature. I have some design pictures posted.

Your cube should be cool "literally" and a good project that will be very satisfying, I have got one on the boards, but it will take me a while to get onto it because I just bought the son his first car, a Holden HZ 1 tonne ute 4.2 V8, so it is taking my time (and money). And the cube is going great guns with not a sign of trouble from the switch, It might be the double sided tape that is on the ram that is hard up against the switch stopping any interference but I think it is also that the sensor circuit is not employed through the command wire that is used for the sensor, as I have mine wired just as an on off switch (or sleep). Speaking of sleep I'll grab some now and catch you later, and watch your progress. cheers Rossi.

Update on the Cube, I could not be happier with the performance of the GA-Z77 WiFi board with the little i3 3225 CPU, It is fast and cool all with only a 90 watt PSU, Thermaltake PSU calculator reckons with these specs I need a 161 watt PSU, as I have stated I ran the GB stress for over 10 minutes with no errors and have had no problems since. The really amazing thing is the graphics capability of the Intel 4000 series GPU built in to this mighty little CPU, my son is an avid gamer, and also get's into modding them, so he put a FPS called "Stalker Call of Pripiat" on the Win7 SSD drive to test it, and it played very smoothly with no issues at all. I take the Cube to work to show it off, and everyone loves it and wants one (of course). The little cube is one of those mods you just keep looking at to see what next you can do, even though I have another one in the build which is a lot different to the norm and have only seen one like it before. will keep you all posted. Cheers. Rossi.

Do it Again Dude, Very nice Rossi, keep us update with this great job

Hi fmanza, This Cube is all but done, the only things I want to do are to put 2x8 gig sticks of RAM in and a pico style PSU, so I can return the PSU I have currently powering the Cube to it's Antec mini ITX case.

Cheers.
Rossi.

Hi Rossi, nice work and quick, i'v built a Z77N system and I couldn't find the internal speaker, I gather there isn't one or have I missed it. Great work though. dirtwegy.

Hi dirtwedgy, I don't know why Gigabyte didn't see it proper to put a speaker, or even a header on the board for one, as I also like to hear the check beep at start up, or the diagnostic beeps, if there's an error. Thanks for the compliment on my build, it was quick and easy for two reasons, one being that I had the system already setup in another case running ML, and secondly, with all the info, and prior builds on this site to work off, made the job much easier. How is your build going? Cheers. Rossi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back