1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Lisa
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks in advance..

I currently have a GTX 760 running in Catalina, and do not recall having to select/inject anything during Multibeast setup - nor any Clover flags.

So now I have acquired two ATI cards (RX 580 and Vega 56) and I am wondering what procedure will be necessary to swap to one of those cards.
I was hoping that with ATI support built into Catalina I might be able to just shut down, swap cards, and power back on.... but it probably won't be that simple.
I had to do some configuring to get my sound card working (changing id's etc through some other program I have forgotten atm) and hope I do not have to do anything that will mess up, or require reconfiguring of anything currently working.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge of what might be required I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance..

I currently have a GTX 760 running in Catalina, and do not recall having to select/inject anything during Multibeast setup - nor any Clover flags.

So now I have acquired two ATI cards (RX 580 and Vega 56) and I am wondering what procedure will be necessary to swap to one of those cards.
I was hoping that with ATI support built into Catalina I might be able to just shut down, swap cards, and power back on.... but it probably won't be that simple.
I had to do some configuring to get my sound card working (changing id's etc through some other program I have forgotten atm) and hope I do not have to do anything that will mess up, or require reconfiguring of anything currently working.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge of what might be required I would greatly appreciate it.
I had tested MacOS High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina on your motherboard B75M-D3H before when I was still actively experimenting (using Clover and not OpenCore as bootloader).

You might have to add WhateverGreen kext (and Lilu if you have not done so) to your EFI folder, but other than that there should not be other changes necessary. That is the advantage of using natively supported hardware like the RX 580 and GTX 760.

I had tested MacOS High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina on your motherboard B75M-D3H before when I was still actively experimenting (using Clover and not OpenCore as bootloader).

You might have to add WhateverGreen kext (and Lilu if you have not done so) to your EFI folder, but other than that there should not be other changes necessary. That is the advantage of using natively supported hardware like the RX 580 and GTX 760.
Thank you for your assistance, and information..
Would the Vega card basically be the same?

I am going to run some benchmarks on both cards, and temps/power, and decide which one I want to use. As for performance I know the Vega is faster, but if its power demands and cooling are too high then I will use the RX 580.

Thank you for your assistance, and information..
Would the Vega card basically be the same?

I am going to run some benchmarks on both cards, and temps/power, and decide which one I want to use. As for performance I know the Vega is faster, but if its power demands and cooling are too high then I will use the RX 580.
I would think so, but since I don't have a Vega card I can't be sure.

OK... I already sold the RX 580 (bit of profit, heh) so I'm going with the Vega 56...
Before swapping cards I dropped the WEG kext in the "Other" folder (maybe thats the wrong place?) and shutdown to change cards. After replacing the card everything boots up normally until I get to the Apple logo. Normally it will pop up and get about half way through the progress bar - blink away - and come back with a higher resolution Apple logo (after loading gpu driver) and quickly finish the progress bar to the login screen.

With the Vega card installed all that still happens except when the logo blinks off it never comes back... BUT it is still booting (I basically have the drive light pattern memorized after all these years) and if I wait a couple minutes I can go ahead and type in my password and (again with the drive light pattern) it logs in - but the screen is still black.. =/

Any ideas what I did wrong, or I should do differently?
If Catalina 10.15.3+ has embedded ATI support why do I even need WEG..?

Back