Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you do this?

Really sorry to ask again, but I have spent several days and just can't seem to get there from here.

1. The Clover Install boots off of the USB just fine.
  2. When I select English and get to the Disk Utility screen is when it all goes wrong for me as not a single drive is visible other than USB stick from which I booted.
  3. I thought this was perhaps because I was trying to directly install to a Samsung M.2. drive, so I put together 2x 2.5" HDD (Spinning disks) into a RAID 0 configuration in the BIOS hoping that these SATA drives would be visible to Disk Utility.
  4. After successfully booting from the USB again and getting to the Disk Utility screen to select the drive to install to, I unfortunately didn't get any selections again except for the boot USB drive.
  5. When I look at the System Information, the Installer clearly can't see my hardware because it states I have NO SATA drives, NO NVME drives, etc.
  6. I thought maybe this was because the drives were RAW so I booted the dreaded Windows 10 and it saw the drives straight away and I was able to install Windows 10 to the M.2 drive, so I know the hardware is working correctly.
I really hate being "that guy" but I have read and re-read this thread and just can't puzzle out what my issue is. Any and all suggestions and help is greatly appreciated. I have hacked on my 'config.plist' a bit in order to get my memory properly recognized (which it now is, thanks for those instructions!) but just can't seem to get ANY of my drives to be available for actually installing OS X.

I have attached my config.plist for your collective review, insight and wisdom. Thank in advance for any help at all!

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.6 KB · Views: 205
Really sorry to ask again, but I have spent several days and just can't seem to get there from here.
  1. I thought this was perhaps because I was trying to directly install to a Samsung M.2. drive, so I put together 2x 2.5" HDD (Spinning disks) into a RAID 0 configuration in the BIOS hoping that these SATA drives would be visible to Disk Utility.
I really hate being "that guy" but I have read and re-read this thread and just can't puzzle out what my issue is. Any and all suggestions and help is greatly appreciated. I have hacked on my 'config.plist' a bit in order to get my memory properly recognized (which it now is, thanks for those instructions!) but just can't seem to get ANY of my drives to be available for actually installing OS X.

I have attached my config.plist for your collective review, insight and wisdom. Thank in advance for any help at all!

So, I am fairly new to this so I may not be the best person to ask. But I am not sure that RAID is supported.

I just build the same setup, GA H170N-Wifi + i7 6700

I set all the Bios settings for a test drive with HD530 (no dedicated card yet..)
+ correct config.plist etc...

I am stuck now at install OS X El Capitan step 3:

The Apple logo shows up, then the USB stick crashes at about 1/3 of the first progress bar: black screen.

I tried 2 different USB sticks.

****EDIT**** SOLVED: monitor was connected on DVI. Changed to HDMI with an adapter, and it works...

Last edited:
is there a log file for verbose mode on the USB stick? It goes so fast I can't read it before it goes black...

I just build the same setup, GA H170N-Wifi + i7 6700

I set all the Bios settings for a test drive with HD530 (no dedicated card yet..)
+ correct config.plist etc...

I am stuk now at install OSX el capitan step 3:

The Apple logo shows up, then the USB stick crashes at about 1/3 of the first progress bar: black screen.

I tried 2 different USB sticks.

****EDIT**** SOLVED: monitor was connected on DVI. Changed to HDMI with an adapter, and it works...
You can get DVI to work if you delete all the other KextsToPatch to do with graphics and use this

I just installed Windows 10 as a second boot on a separate SSD, once installed clover just found the second SSD and it came up automatically in the boot menu. There was a bit of stuffing around before I got it to work though.

- I tried to install a non UEFI version of Windows 10, this didn't work! You have to make a UEFI version of the USB stick using Rufus as detailed here (step 6) http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-usb-flash-drive-create-install-windows-10-a.html
- I tried installing with my Mac SSD still attached, don't do this! It stuffed up my Clover and I had to reinstall that!
- Unplug the Mac drive, install Windows, get it all up and running, then plug the Mac drive back in, it should come up in the Clover boot menu then. There are three listings for Windows on my install, only one works, just try them one-by-one.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Cheers,

Matt

You can get it down to one listing by going to clover configurator->GUI->Scan and changing it from Auto=Yes to custom with entries, tool, and linux checked. You only need linux checked if you have a linux partition of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back