Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo ThinkPad T440P [OpenCore 0.5.9]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same with the 4910MQ and it gets a bit warm, but tolerable.

Absolutely shreds most tasks.

I'm thinking of undervolting the CPU a little.

Could you share your VOLTA settings?
I have the 4810mq (so 2,8ghz base clock), when on battery I use a 17w-27w power limit for web browsing etc. Undervolt seems to be stable until -45mv, but I set it on -30mv most of time because you can feel the decreased trackpad responsivity imo. Using Kryonaut thermal paste really helped. Since Dgpu heatsinks are cheaper than before I just ordered one to see if I can go lower on idle temps (which are about 50c currently)

Awesome! Pic of the build?

I'm back on the T440P too.

It's just so comfortable to type on a mechanical keyboard with the Thinkpad Trackpoint on macOS.
I can show you some pictures later…

I really like it aside from the battery.
Mine came with a already replaced small battery non genuine and doesn’t last.
I had the Lenovo L440 extended battery but unfortunately the L440 motherboard died and the battery remained empty for more than a year and that destroyed it.
It took a while to start charging but it’s in bad condition, lasts a bit better than the smaller battery. Im looking to find a genuine extended one (if such exists anymore for the T440P).
It does shred and for me its more than what i actually need.

Other than that i am very happy with it.

Upgrade plans
- Trade the i7-4700MQ with a i7-4702mq for the lower wattage so i can have more battery life, performance trade is unnoticeable for my use case
- Intel AX210 Wireless and Bluetooth card upgrade
- Brand New OEM extended battery
- NGFF 256/512GB SSD (no data SIM cards available from the carriers where i live…).

As for the guide, some good changes happened and even more are on their way, waiting for September release of the Acidanthera kexts.

- Kext only Battery patch
- Intel itlwm now supports Dual Band AC.
- Intel Bluetooth major problems have been resolved.
- Smooth Brightness implemented into WhateverGreen

And all the other goodies that i couldn’t release for the T440P and did on the other ThinkPads.

First 10 days of September we expect to have our first baby (it’s a boy), im becoming a father for the first time.
Also from that time i leave my current job as a banker-teller and i will be working on my home business.

This should give me more room to breath and i can have some more free time for my hobbies/passion.

Upgrade plans
- Trade the i7-4700MQ with a i7-4702mq for the lower wattage so i can have more battery life, performance trade is unnoticeable for my use case

please allow me to make a case why this is a bad idea

check the power consumtion charts at the bottom here, keep in mind numbers shown at total system power draw with the only difference between systems being the CPU

1. the 4700MQ and 4710MQ are the only MQ bin CPU's in this series which can sustain there advertised clocks indefinitely and the difference in wattage they consume over the 4702MQ and 4712MQ is purely due clock speeds, id argue the 02 chips are the exact same just with TDP dropped.

2. by default macOS limits the TDP of the 4700MQ and 4710MQ to the same 37W TDP as 4702MQ and 4712MQ, i actually have a guide on how to use voltageshift to set this up to 47W on boot so that the CPU can be fully used

3. your savings idle will be next to nothing, your savings under load will only result in your CPU being clocked slower, completing jobs slower, and therefor having to maintain clock for longer.

it took a lot of running this through my head but in the end i am certain the 4702MQ and 4712MQ are a complete waste of time and money and this is simply a miseducated recomendation by those who make it.

Last edited:
please allow me to make a case why this is a bad idea

check the power consumtion charts at the bottom here, keep in mind numbers shown at total system power draw with the only difference between systems being the CPU

1. the 4700MQ and 4710MQ are the only MQ bin CPU's in this series which can sustain there advertised clocks indefinitely and the difference in wattage they consume over the 4702MQ and 4712MQ is purely due clock speeds, id argue the 02 chips are the exact same just with TDP dropped.

2. by default macOS limits the TDP of the 4700MQ and 4710MQ to the same 37W TDP as 4702MQ and 4712MQ, i actually have a guide on how to use voltageshift to set this up to 47W on boot so that the CPU can be fully used

3. your savings idle will be next to nothing, your savings under load will only result in your CPU being clocked slower, completing jobs faster, and therefor having to maintain clock for longer.

it took a lot of running this through my head but in the end i am certain the 4702MQ and 4712MQ are a complete waste of time and money and this is simply a miseducated recomendation by those who make it.
Thanks for the in-depth comparison/explanation.

I had the Lenovo L440 extended battery but unfortunately the L440 motherboard died and the battery remained empty for more than a year and that destroyed it.
It took a while to start charging but it’s in bad condition, lasts a bit better than the smaller battery. Im looking to find a genuine extended one (if such exists anymore for the T440P).

Upgrade plans
- NGFF 256/512GB SSD (no data SIM cards available from the carriers where i live…).

As for the guide, some good changes happened and even more are on their way, waiting for September release of the Acidanthera kexts.

And all the other goodies that i couldn’t release for the T440P and did on the other ThinkPads.

First 10 days of September we expect to have our first baby (it’s a boy), im becoming a father for the first time.
Also from that time i leave my current job as a banker-teller and i will be working on my home business.

This should give me more room to breath and i can have some more free time for my hobbies/passion.

Friend, congratulations on the future baby!!!!!
Big changes are coming, I hope you are very happy. Say goodbye to your free time (I know what I'm talking about hahaha).
A big greeting!

Friend, congratulations on the future baby!!!!!
Big changes are coming, I hope you are very happy. Say goodbye to your free time (I know what I'm talking about hahaha).
A big greeting!
Thanks,
Hahah yea i know what awaits me in terms of care taking but i am very happy with that and i am mentally prepared.

In the meantime there is some great progress overall, will install macOS on my T440P during weekend and prepare for the great upcoming September kext updates.

Finally a proper Linux port for the Card Readers:

It would be nice if someone can give this one a try and give us feedback if it does work properly and what are the speeds.

Thanks in advance!

Upgrade plans

Congrats on being a new dad! Of course, I also laughed when I read "This should give me more time to breath.."! Maybe I'm jaded cause we had twins. LoL

Whenever you do have an update prepared, I'm ready to help you test out. :)
Again, congrats on the new baby...might want to get some extra zzzz's now. ;-)

Congrats on being a new dad! Of course, I also laughed when I read "This should give me more time to breath.."! Maybe I'm jaded cause we had twins. LoL

Whenever you do have an update prepared, I'm ready to help you test out. :)
Again, congrats on the new baby...might want to get some extra zzzz's now. ;-)
Lol, yes i am aware what awaits me but the "This should give me more time to breath.." is true in terms of work.
I will be working at home business full time now as i was really struggling to keep two jobs at once working both on the bank which is stressful and ultra brain consuming and after i came home from the bank, i used to fix cars for additional 2-3 hours and i had no more time/energy/fun/mood for that.

So really now, i should have way more time than i had (both for hobbies and for the baby as well).

Trust me, i enjoy every second working with hackintosh, it was just too much to handle these last months/this year.
So i finally made the right decisions and slashed what is not useful and waste of time, put things back into schedule and have some time for myself as well.

Thanks !

Lol, yes i am aware what awaits me but the "This should give me more time to breath.." is true in terms of work.
I will be working at home business full time now as i was really struggling to keep two jobs at once working both on the bank which is stressful and ultra brain consuming and after i came home from the bank, i used to fix cars for additional 2-3 hours and i had no more time/energy/fun/mood for that.

So really now, i should have way more time than i had (both for hobbies and for the baby as well).

Trust me, i enjoy every second working with hackintosh, it was just too much to handle these last months/this year.
So i finally made the right decisions and slashed what is not useful and waste of time, put things back into schedule and have some time for myself as well.

Thanks !
That's great to hear and impressive that you were able to keep 2 jobs going like that! I wish I had the talent to fix cars! Would safe me some $$! Is the home biz the auto work?

I love hacintoshing too. But one of these days I need to figure out the acpi stuff. I think that's what held me back in getting my t440p working on my own.

That's great to hear and impressive that you were able to keep 2 jobs going like that! I wish I had the talent to fix cars! Would safe me some $$! Is the home biz the auto work?

I love hacintoshing too. But one of these days I need to figure out the acpi stuff. I think that's what held me back in getting my t440p working on my own.
Yes, it's the auto work, ACPI stuff is great to know for sure, but unfortunately i myself am not good yet either.
I know the standard stuff enough to do some decent fixing but it has to be based on something so i can adapt.

I need to read ACPI spec and some ACPi syntax work to be ready on working on it and building stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back