CPU
i5 3230M
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I haven't been able to get sound working on older operating systems, specifically Mavericks, and Mountain Lion. I haven't got the help I was expecting in order to make it work. I have had success using the AppleALC.kext for Sierra and High Sierra. Unfortunately trying this kext with the older operating systems does not work. I am wondering what hardware alternatives I might be looking at, and can be recommended for sound output.

I use Dell USB speakers/soundbar that are plug & play in macOS and Windows

Just select them as the output in Sound options and they work. Native USB drivers work with no actions from the user required.

I haven't been able to get sound working on older operating systems, specifically Mavericks, and Mountain Lion. I haven't got the help I was expecting in order to make it work. I have had success using the AppleALC.kext for Sierra and High Sierra. Unfortunately trying this kext with the older operating systems does not work. I am wondering what hardware alternatives I might be looking at, and can be recommended for sound output.

If you're feeling brave/adventurous you could always test the VoodooHDA.kext for your older OS versions instead of AppleALC. It's not quite so polished but download an old version of MultiBeast - 6.5.1 for example - from our Downloads section and give it a try. You don't have to run any other part of the app, just the audio. (Remember to make a proper backup first in case of unforeseen problems etc.)

But if still no joy, go with @Edhawk 's suggestion. There are a lot of useful devices out there these days.

:)

If you're feeling brave/adventurous you could always test the VoodooHDA.kext for your older OS versions instead of AppleALC. It's not quite so polished but download an old version of MultiBeast - 6.5.1 for example - from our Downloads section and give it a try. You don't have to run any other part of the app, just the audio. (Remember to make a proper backup first in case of unforeseen problems etc.)
Could you explain what the differences are between the AppleALC, Voodoo, and whatever audio chipset driver? For example in my case it would be a Realtek 1150.

Could you explain what the differences are between the AppleALC, Voodoo, and whatever audio chipset driver? For example in my case it would be a Realtek 1150.

The VoodooHDA driver does not need a Layout ID, you just install and see if it works.

In my opinion it does not give quite the same audio quality as AppleALC, and was more poplar in the early days, with older versions of OS X, before AppleALC's development overtook it in recent years. In my own testing it does not seem to work well with the latest macOS versions, if at all. This is why I pointed you towards the older version included in MultiBeast. Worth testing though, if you are installing old OS X versions.

:)

The Realtek ALC1150 works with AppleALC.kext even in older versions of OS X. Support for the ALC1150 was increased in version 1.0.5 (March 2016) based on Mirone's Audio Codec work.
  • layout-id 5 for 3 ports and
  • layout-id 7 for 5/6 ports
  • layout-id 11 for 5/6 ports and mic boost.
Have you tried these layout-id's?

My own Haswell Z97X-UD5H system works perfectly using layout-id=1, which was based on Toledo's audio code work, along with id's 2 & 3.

A recent ID, in comparison to the ID's listed above, was added to the kext specifically for the Z97X-UD5H motherboard - layout-id=99. Based on work by DalianSky.

These layout-id's should all work in OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) or newer versions of OS X/macOS.

The Realtek ALC1150 works with AppleALC.kext even in older versions of OS X. Support for the ALC1150 was increased in version 1.0.5 (March 2016) based on Mirone's Audio Codec work.
  • layout-id 5 for 3 ports and
  • layout-id 7 for 5/6 ports
  • layout-id 11 for 5/6 ports and mic boost.
Have you tried these layout-id's?

My own Haswell Z97X-UD5H system works perfectly using layout-id=1, which was based on Toledo's audio code work, along with id's 2 & 3.

A recent ID, in comparison to the ID's listed above, was added to the kext specifically for the Z97X-UD5H motherboard - layout-id=99. Based on work by DalianSky.

These layout-id's should all work in OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) or newer versions of OS X/macOS.
I have no idea how or where to begin work involving any of this.

I would just test it by installing each version in MultiBeast until one works, right?

If you search online you will find the developer's repository with historical versions available as well as the latest.

For this kind of testing it would be easier to simply change the kext in the kexts folder and reboot to test, rather than running MultiBeast each time.

Back