Contribute
Register

Has anyone tested the GTX 660 (non-Ti)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not personally found a working setup for the GTX 660 yet. Not sure what your CPU is, but I have another system using HD4000 graphics nicely. So as long as your cpu has that, assuming you have an Ivy Bridge processor with a GPU, then you should be good to go for now. I am leaning towards returning the 660 and picking up a 7870 or 7850 instead. The 660 falls in the middle in terms of performance of those two, with the 7850 being a closer match in price. Both serve my needs just fine for 1920x1080 gaming.

Sorry to say, but that's terrible advice as the 7000-series from AMD is so far not supported at all. You either have to go up or down the Nvidia product range with a GTX 660 Ti or a GTX 650.

Sorry to say, but that's terrible advice as the 7000-series from AMD is so far not supported at all. You either have to go up or down the Nvidia product range with a GTX 660 Ti or a GTX 650.

Well that sucks. Will edit my post, if I can, so there is no confusion. As it is, I am returning the 660 for now and will leave getting that working either to Apple or folks such as yourself who are more informed on this. Appreciate everything everyone in the community has done to allow all of us to do what we enjoy. I am sure someday it will work out and when it does, will perhaps give it a shot then.

Thank you and good night.

I have not personally found a working setup for the GTX 660 yet. Not sure what your CPU is, but I have another system using HD4000 graphics nicely. So as long as your cpu has that, assuming you have an Ivy Bridge processor with a GPU, then you should be good to go for now. I am leaning towards returning the 660 and picking up a 7870 or 7850 instead. The 660 falls in the middle in terms of performance of those two, with the 7850 being a closer match in price. Both serve my needs just fine for 1920x1080 gaming.

EDIT: Leaving the original text alone cause the information regarding the hardware is still valid and because that just feels like the right to do. In regards to the AMD 7XXX cards, the thelostswede has pointed out that the 7XXX series of AMD cards are not supported either. Not my lucky day... :) I am not bothering with the 660 anymore, nice card, great price but not practical right now.

Sorry I didn't leave the CPU. Here is the computer I'm building:

Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H
i5-2500k Sandy Bridge Quad Core 3.3GHz
8GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM 1600
EVGA GTX-660 2GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm 6.0Gb/s (for mountain lion)
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm 6.0Gb/s (for windows 7)
Roswell Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750w
Asus 24x DVD Burner

I mainly got the GTX-660 to use for gaming on the Windows 7 side. Is it possible to keep the GTX-660 plugged into the board, but just use the onboard video (HD3000 for what I got?) when I boot up the Mac side and then switch the HDMI to the GTX-660 when I boot up the Win7 side? Once again I'm sorry for the noob questions. This is my first hackintosh, and actually, my very first personal PC build. I've always gone through Gateway to buy a PC. I work on computers all day and understand all the components and stuff, but it's all completely foreign when it comes to Mac. I work on a brand new iMac 27" at work and I love it. I just wanted something similar at home without spending a crazy amount of money. I appreciate your reply Roadkill74.

Sorry I didn't leave the CPU. Here is the computer I'm building:

Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H
i5-2500k Sandy Bridge Quad Core 3.3GHz
8GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM 1600
EVGA GTX-660 2GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm 6.0Gb/s (for mountain lion)
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm 6.0Gb/s (for windows 7)
Roswell Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750w
Asus 24x DVD Burner

I mainly got the GTX-660 to use for gaming on the Windows 7 side. Is it possible to keep the GTX-660 plugged into the board, but just use the onboard video (HD3000 for what I got?) when I boot up the Mac side and then switch the HDMI to the GTX-660 when I boot up the Win7 side? Once again I'm sorry for the noob questions. This is my first hackintosh, and actually, my very first personal PC build. I've always gone through Gateway to buy a PC. I work on computers all day and understand all the components and stuff, but it's all completely foreign when it comes to Mac. I work on a brand new iMac 27" at work and I love it. I just wanted something similar at home without spending a crazy amount of money. I appreciate your reply Roadkill74.

You're welcome. I am no expert, but I am learning. :)

As for leaving the 660 in and using HD3000, I thought about trying the same thing but never did. So I have no experience doing so and nothing to relay as far as information goes for that. Try it and see what happens I guess.

In regards to your Sandy Bridge and the Z77 board, this might be useful for you. I stumbled on it doing research for a HD3000 setup last night. It's a post that helps explain how to setup for a situation where the cpu and chipset don't align to what OS X expects, such as your case.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFWzy_EmqaYWznIb3CWeZ0FCjdFew

You're welcome. I am no expert, but I am learning. :)

As for leaving the 660 in and using HD3000, I thought about trying the same thing but never did. So I have no experience doing so and nothing to relay as far as information goes for that. Try it and see what happens I guess.

In regards to your Sandy Bridge and the Z77 board, this might be useful for you. I stumbled on it doing research for a HD3000 setup last night. It's a post that helps explain how to setup for a situation where the cpu and chipset don't align to what OS X expects, such as your case.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFWzy_EmqaYWznIb3CWeZ0FCjdFew

I'm going to try it and I'll keep you updated if that works. I'm sure we will be able to use the 660 in time, but just not right now. I was looking at this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...70-hd-sc-i5-2500k-16-gb-data-ddr3-1600-a.html and he seemed to have a black screen, but when into the installer and added his device ID and got it to work that way. Possibly this will work with the GTX-660. I'm going to install Win7 first with the card and get the Device ID and see if I can get this to work that way. I'll keep you up to date.

Also thank you for that link on the HD3000 setup. It'll help a lot if i need to do that set up.

Ya, will give it a shot tonight.

Gave it a shot, no changes. I tried a known good 10.8.2 install with a normal boot and with -x. Both halted without KP at the time the login or graphical interface would fire up. I am returning the card at this point.

Gave it a shot, no changes. I tried a known good 10.8.2 install with a normal boot and with -x. Both halted without KP at the time the login or graphical interface would fire up. I am returning the card at this point.

That's really, really odd. Clearly there's some kind of check in place that doesn't recognize the GK106 GPUs.

That's really, really odd. Clearly there's some kind of check in place that doesn't recognize the GK106 GPUs.

Agreed, NVDAGK100HAL or something similarily named kext loads when the 660 is in. Checking that file it does have the device ID for 660 in it. But it doesn't appear that any other NV related kexts load, or at least none that I noticed in my cursory observation. Sadly I don't have the time or the drive to track this down. So, will leave that to others who do. Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back