Contribute
Register

HDD / SSD won't show up during installation process

Hi - If I may, I don't know if this will help or how much but I have sourced an EFI Folder as close as possible to your specs so that you can use it as a comparison or copy the entire EFI Folder to the EFI Partition of a spare USB Drive and try it as is to see if you can achieve better results.

You will need to clean the NvRAM to remove remnants of your previous trials then boot off this new EFI.
You will need to furnish the config.plist with your machine's data i.e S/N, ROM, SmUUID etc if proved successful.
I suspect you will need to tweak some settings to cater for your own particular preferences.

All OC files and kext are updated to latest versions.

Subject to your BIOS is set to the necessary requirements, you hopefully shouldn't have too many problems. Good luck.

Thank you for creating an EFI for my hardware. I will compare yours with mine to learn and the I try to figure out how to get up towards Catalina.

Hi - If I may, I don't know if this will help or how much but I have sourced an EFI Folder as close as possible to your specs so that you can use it as a comparison or copy the entire EFI Folder to the EFI Partition of a spare USB Drive and try it as is to see if you can achieve better results.

You will need to clean the NvRAM to remove remnants of your previous trials then boot off this new EFI.
You will need to furnish the config.plist with your machine's data i.e S/N, ROM, SmUUID etc if proved successful.
I suspect you will need to tweak some settings to cater for your own particular preferences.

All OC files and kext are updated to latest versions.

Subject to your BIOS is set to the necessary requirements, you hopefully shouldn't have too many problems. Good luck.
After many tries with and without different settings and modifications my problem remains the same. I still can't see all of my drives in the "disk utility" during Ventura Installation...

In Big Sur everything shows up correctly and I can see all of my SSDs/HDDs.

Any other solutions or tips that can help to solve my problem?

First thing to try is to change the Misc/Security/SecureBootModel setting in your config.plist from Default to "Disabled".

If that does not help then likely the clue may be in your first post. Logically if you attach a drive by USB to SATA adapter then your motherboard sees it as USB not SATA, so the problem will be Security - as above - or disk structure - i.e partition scheme.

I used an Asus Z490 motherboard a while back and it presented no problems.

How did you prepare the destination drive? Did you use Disk Utility from the Catalina installer menu?

:)

I checked the SecureBootModel and it's now set "Disabled" but nothing changed... any other solutions?

I checked the SecureBootModel and it's now set "Disabled" but nothing changed... any other solutions?

Not so far. The hardware in your profile shouldn't present any real problems.

Perhaps ZIP your complete EFI Folder and upload it here for us to check for you. (Remove your system serial number first for privacy reasons).

In Big Sur everything shows up correctly and I can see all of my SSDs/HDDs.
Can I ask who setup and installed Big Sur for you? As I see it, if it was you then Ventura shouldn't pose that much of a problem to install as there is not that much of a difference between the two versions apart from a few added apps and some modifications.

How are you formatting the Drive, is the Drive verified as undamaged i.e not faulty? Don't look for the difficult otherwise you'll be chasing your tail, have a think, if as you stated in BS everything is fine, then apply the same method you used there otherwise you'll make the process more complicated than it is.

Can I ask who setup and installed Big Sur for you? As I see it, if it was you then Ventura shouldn't pose that much of a problem to install as there is not that much of a difference between the two versions apart from a few added apps and some modifications.

How are you formatting the Drive, is the Drive verified as undamaged i.e not faulty? Don't look for the difficult otherwise you'll be chasing your tail, have a think, if as you stated in BS everything is fine, then apply the same method you used there otherwise you'll make the process more complicated than it is.

I installed Catalina and updated via the Install MacOs Big Sur Application up to Big Sur. I really don't understand why I am able to install Catalina but not Ventura... Maybe I don't know which kexts I really need or do I need any other drivers?

I formatted the Drive in "APFS and GUID" and I tried "MacOs Extended Journaled with GUID".

The point where I lose my mind is... why is Catalina and Big Sur connecting all my drives what ever format they have but Ventura installer won't see any of them... for me that makes absolutely no sense.

Not so far. The hardware in your profile shouldn't present any real problems.

Perhaps ZIP your complete EFI Folder and upload it here for us to check for you. (Remove your system serial number first for privacy reasons).

Okay here's my EFI that I'm currently running on Big Sur. I tried it with Ventura 13.0.1 and 13.2 but the same error with no SSD/HDD connected occurs. I also tried this EFI without the following files:
SSDT-HPET, SSDT-PCM, CtlnaAHCIPort.kext, DAGPM.kext, all Fake...kexts, NVMeFix.kext.
But no changes at all.

Maybe one of you can find my error because I tried everything with many different EFIs for Z490-E Gaming and created different EFIs by myself without any luck.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
Maybe one of you can find my error because I tried everything with many different EFIs for Z490-E Gaming and created different EFIs by myself without any luck.
This EFI Folder will never work with Ventura, as a matter of fact I am somewhat sceptical of your claim to running BS with it let alone anything else!!

I ran the EFI contents through 'Ovalidate' and there are so many errors (see the attached) hence the reason I said I am sceptical about its ability to run anything. See the attached and pay close attention to the errors, these must be fixed to achieve a successful Ventura install.

Ok once again I am sending you a vanilla EFI Folder which if your BIOS settings are correct, should/will insure a good install/Boot of Ventura. As usual do a test and report the results, don't forget to do the usual of cleaning the NvRAM before testing. Good luck.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 12.27.37.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 12.27.37.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 12.30.12.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 12.30.12.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 58
This EFI Folder will never work with Ventura, as a matter of fact I am somewhat sceptical of your claim to running BS with it let alone anything else!!

I ran the EFI contents through 'Ovalidate' and there are so many errors (see the attached) hence the reason I said I am sceptical about its ability to run anything. See the attached and pay close attention to the errors, these must be fixed to achieve a successful Ventura install.

Ok once again I am sending you a vanilla EFI Folder which if your BIOS settings are correct, should/will insure a good install/Boot of Ventura. As usual do a test and report the results, don't forget to do the usual of cleaning the NvRAM before testing. Good luck.
Thank you for sharing that EFI folder. I don‘t know what happens because booting Ventura with that vanilla EFI is not working. The attached image shows the result… and yes I cleaned the NVRAM.

In addition I tried to boot BS with your vanilla EFI and it restarts every time and I can‘t get into BS there.

I used the opencore sanitiy check to check my config.plist and it looked fine I guess.

Attachments

• 9302CF0D-7829-451B-B6F4-88224C98C232.jpeg
    9302CF0D-7829-451B-B6F4-88224C98C232.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Back