Contribute
Register

Help with Kernal Panic Ventura iMac 19.1

Hi trs96. In all cases, no.
Whatever the arcane explanation for this KP mess, it appears trashing the OS and rebuilding has restored the iMac.

The SATA 970 Evo drive is reliable. Ventura on the 970 Evo has been cleaned of residual virus app fragments according to AppCleaner, and similarly, trashing and rebuilding the external Samsung T7 has made that drive accessible and I am rebuilding a clean system onto it without resorting to migration assistant or Time Machine in order to create an OS without inadvertently importing junk. It will become the basis of my working OS when finished.

The remaining issue is the now external, SN770 which gives KP whenever it is chosen as a start-up disk. It too is destined for erasure and re-install.

I plan to reinstall the SN770 in the iMac again when I can get a response from WD forum on recommended adapter.

Amazing how a problem with a single incompatible part spreads to become a system wide KP.

This has been a very educational experience in terms of advice and comments.

I am most appreciative of your assistance trs 96 and the thoughts you provided utter disbelief. I may be a little more resourceful in managing any future KP after this experience. Thank you guys for your valuable support.

Last edited:
Update 23/12/2023:
Having eliminated the KP by cleaning and rebuilding iMac then re-formatting and installing a fresh edition of Ventura on the SN770 while it was attached as an external drive, I have now re-installed the SN770 NVMe as PCIe boot drive using a cheap short adapter from AliExpress.

Of the two adapters I posted earlier, the NFHK N-941 fitting was a fraction too long for the combined length of NVMe and adapter. I found the black No-Name adapter just fitted. I took the precaution of adding Kapton tape over the exposed wires of the adapter to ensure no shorting could occur between it and the metal shield.

Upon completion iMac booted perfectly into the SN770 and Black Magic speed is around 2960 read, 2825 write. Only time will tell if all remains trouble-free.

Again, many thanks to trs96 and Utter Disbelief for assistance in KP emergency.

Back