Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Help! I want to access my computer's DSDT using OpenCore 0.7.8. The instructions look like this:
UEFI DSDT Method.jpg

The problem is that I don't understand the instructions; also, this is an old instruction and OpenCore may have changed the method. My questions are:
1. If I use the first option, how exactly do I "select this option in OpenCore's picker?" Which parameter is edited, and what is the correct syntax?
2. I tried the second option as follows:
2a. Copied Sample.plist/Root/Misc/Tools/0 into my config.plist/Root/Misc/Tools. The result was a UEFI Shell icon appearing in my OpenCore window. Correct, I think. Part way there? Or do I need this?
2b. Created an entry in my config.plist/Root/Misc/Tools section as shown below. Here my ignorance is shown, I'm sure, in subsection 1. However, the result is an "acpidump" icon in the OpenCore window, so I got that far, at least.

DSDT Dump Attempt 1.jpg

3. However, clicking on the "acpidump" icon in the OpenCore window seems to do nothing. No ".dat" file appears in either the EFI/OC/Tools folder of my USB drive or that folder on my SSD.
3a. Is this because I'm doing this on my Install USB drive, and it has no DSDT? Should I be doing this on my Storage SSD's EFI folder on my computer?
3b. Or because I have screwed up my subsection 1 above? Any help here?

Any comments appreciated; I need the DSDT! And I have only MacOS, no Windows machine. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Help! I want to access my computer's DSDT using OpenCore 0.7.8. The instructions look like this:
View attachment 542300

Are you having problems with those instructions? I've not done it that way before, I'll admit.

I just created a Clover boot USB - you don't have to set it up for all your hardware - once at the boot selection menu, press F4 and all DSDT files are dumped to the CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder.

Reboot from OC as normal.:thumbup:

once at the boot selection menu, press F4 and all DSDT files are dumped to the CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder.
I've used that back when I used Clover, but would really like to avoid that and use OpenCore. My first question was whether this old procedure (back around OC 0.5.9 or so) still would work if I did it right. Second is if it still works, what am I doing right and/or wrong?

I've used that back when I used Clover, but would really like to avoid that and use OpenCore. My first question was whether this old procedure (back around OC 0.5.9 or so) still would work if I did it right. Second is if it still works, what am I doing right and/or wrong?

Ah, no. Now you have edited and added more information that wasn't there at first, when I originally viewed your post.

Sorry I can't help then.

Last edited:
Well... after some fooling around with the EFI Shell, I wound up with a listing of 256 DSDT files, each containing 265 Kbytes of data, but appearing along with the EFI folder on my USB flash drive, The first file was named dsdt.dat, the second dsdt1.dat, etc, etc, all the way to dsdt.255.dat. They all look identical, and they look like probably the DSDT of my computer duplicated 256 times. (I changed the suffixes of all from .dat to .aml, and looked at them with MaciASL.) Of course I might be looking at the DSDT of the installer on my InstallMojave USB drive... don't know.

I really don't want to just copy this modified EFI folder on the USB drive to my SSD without knowing if it is in fact correct. After all, the listing did not wind up where the instructions say it should go!

View attachment 542300

The problem is that I don't understand the instructions; also, this is an old instruction and OpenCore may have changed the method. My questions are:
1. If I use the first option, how exactly do I "select this option in OpenCore's picker?" Which parameter is edited, and what is the correct syntax?
2. I tried the second option as follows:
2a. Copied Sample.plist/Root/Misc/Tools/0 into my config.plist/Root/Misc/Tools. The result was a UEFI Shell icon appearing in my OpenCore window. Correct, I think. Part way there? Or do I need this?
2b. Created an entry in my config.plist/Root/Misc/Tools section as shown below. Here my ignorance is shown, I'm sure, in subsection 1. However, the result is an "acpidump" icon in the OpenCore window, so I got that far, at least.

View attachment 542302

3. However, clicking on the "acpidump" icon in the OpenCore window seems to do nothing. No ".dat" file appears in either the EFI/OC/Tools folder of my USB drive or that folder on my SSD.
3a. Is this because I'm doing this on my Install USB drive, and it has no DSDT? Should I be doing this on my Storage SSD's EFI folder on my computer?
3b. Or because I have screwed up my subsection 1 above? Any help here?

Any comments appreciated; I need the DSDT! And I have only MacOS, no Windows machine. Thanks for reading!
hackintool can generate your DSDT and relevant SSDT's with a click of a button

Ha, and I have that; I'll give it a try, thanks! I did find out that the procedure given in the "UEFI Shell" section of OpenCore guide (attached jpeg in my post #1 above) does sort of work. The only problem is that 256 copies of my DSDT show up instead of one, and they are input next to the EFI folder icon, instead of to the Tools area. They are indeed in .dat format, which does convert to .aml, and can be opened with MaciASL. But if Hackintool works too, that sounds much easier.

Yes, it does. :thumbup:

However, it doesn't add those useful labels to the SSDT names that Clover does, just numbers them in sequence. Neither does it break down the DSDT so finely. So not much different to the OP's experience in post #5. True, it does provide a complete DSDT file, and disassembled *.dsl templates too. So it is the same data, just not as easy to understand or differentiated.

:)

Last edited:
I didn't previously use Hackintool except to define USB ports and make "USBPorts.kext." Clearly I ned to learn more about it. It was easy to get the DSDT... think I'll forget struggling with OpenCore on that issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back