Contribute
Register

HP 8300 Elite w/ Intel i5-3470 Quad Core at Newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious if it would be possible to install a graphics card that required external power using one of these SATA to dual molex splitters, assuming the power requirements of the card were still compatible with the 320W power supply.
6" SATA 15-Pin Male to Dual 4-Pin Molex Female Y Splitter, Manhattan 308977 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LBROAA/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Or are there no graphics cards available that would be compatible with a 320W PSU and also require external power?

Thoughts?
Here's something I ran across recently. I haven't tried this and don't endorse it, simply putting it out for people that may want to try using their own ATX PSU in one of these 8300 CMT mini-towers. The cable is rather pricey on Ebay.com and has to be shipped from the UK to get one in the U.S. Not sure it meets all the specs needed by the HP motherboard. Use at your own risk.

And this might be even better since it converts two SATA connectors instead of just one to a 6-pin connector.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y91B80/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
I was really hoping to use the above adapters to get card like below working, though, for better 4K multi-monitor support. 90W power draw, so only an additional 15W would be needed through unused SATA connector(s). Recommended 350W power supply. Seems like it could work.
Hmmm.... ;)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...04&cm_re=msi_gtx950-2g-_-14-127-904-_-Product
Well, I finally got around to installing everything thanks to pastrychef's awesome guide, and so far it's been working great. I scared myself at first because I couldn't get any video to appear at all with the built in DP output, so I went ahead and tried with the GTX 950 installed. That worked no problem. I think there was some sort of compatibility issue with the built in DP output and my Dell monitors.

BTW, not sure why that MSI GTX 950 is so expensive now. When I got it from Newegg, it was $142 with a $30 rebate.

Last edited:
Any updates on this 8300 system yet ? Did you get the graphics card to work with the 2x sata power to 6 pin connector ?
Finally got around to it (I'm horrible about finding time for little projects).

Yes, the graphics card does seem to be working without any troubles with the 2x sata to 6 pin connector. The graphics card is HUGE and just fits in between all the other connectors and capacitors on the motherboard. It does completely block the 4x PCIE slot, so there's just a 1x slot left that I can use now (saving it in case I need a wifi/bt card).

I have dual displays working on it -- a 27" 4K and a 24" 1080p. I'm happy with this setup, but the 3 DP connections on this GTX 950 would allow me to add 1 or 2 more 4K displays if I want to in the future (after they drop even more in price).

So glad the 6-pin adapter is working (so far). Will save me the trouble of having to upgrade in the future :)

Last edited:
Broadcom BCM94360CS 802.11AC WLAN BT 4.0 PCI-E PC Desktop Card for MAC

Works vanilla with HP PC and OS-X. Just plug in the cable to a USB 2.0 header on your
motherboard ( which has two headers ) for Wifi-ac / bluetooth.
View attachment 209491
I've seen some of those pci-e cards have 3 antenna vs. 4. Is that because the one with 3 is missing a Bluetooth antenna or because it's only 2 stream 802.11ac and not 3 stream?

I've been debating getting one of those wifi/bt cards or instead getting an AC router that can be converted into a wireless bridge and then just plugging that into the onboard Ethernet. I could then buy a $10-$15 USB dongle to handle Bluetooth devices. Not sure which approach would give the best performance. Hmmmm.....

Thanks again!

Thanks for the links.

Due to the issue VioletDragon pointed out, I'll either repurpose a router as a wireless bridge and get a USB Bluetooth adapter, or I'll get a card like you posted with 4 antennas. The benefit of your solution is compatibility with handoff, continuity, air drop, etc. Just have to decide if that's worth the extra expense.

Thanks for the links.

Due to the issue VioletDragon pointed out, I'll either repurpose a router as a wireless bridge and get a USB Bluetooth adapter, or I'll get a card like you posted with 4 antennas. The benefit of your solution is compatibility with handoff, continuity, air drop, etc. Just have to decide if that's worth the extra expense.

You could buy a PCI-E x1 to Mini PCI-E WIFI adaptor and put a supported WIFI card in the adaptor you'd have more luck with that with sleep.

Yeah, Just use them in combination with a USB Bluetooth dongle. Like the IOgear.

You can do a DIY WIFI/Bluetooth card which will work no problems.

Broadcom BCM94360CS 802.11AC WLAN BT 4.0 PCI-E PC Desktop Card for MAC

Works vanilla with HP PC and OS-X. Just plug in the cable to a USB 2.0 header on your
motherboard ( which has two headers ) for Wifi-ac / bluetooth.

Would you be so kind to tell me if bluetooth reception is good?

Apple Watch unlock works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back