Contribute
Register

Intel i7 2700k vs. Intel i7 3770k or wait for Haswell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Hackintosh
CPU
Intel core i7 3770k
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi. I am looking to build my second hackintosh. I have been holding out for the new ivy bridge processors, and possibly a thunderbolt-equipped motherboard or video card. I was just wondering if I can get any info on how the Ivy Bridge i7 3770k will perform compared to the Sandy Bridge i7 2700k. They both have the same # of cores/threads (4/8) and are both clocked at 3.5 GHz. I know the 3770k will have Intel's new HD 4000 graphics, as compared to the HD 3000 graphics in the 2700k, but that doesn't really concern me since I plan on using a graphics card anyway. The other major difference (besides the new 22 nm architecture) is that the 3770k runs at 77 watts and the 2700k runs at 95 watts.

So, any thoughts? Does anyone out there have a strong opinion either way? Am I doing the right thing by waiting for the Ivy Bridge processors to be released? Would anyone recommend waiting another year+ for Haswell processors?

Your input is, as always, much appreciated.

Greetings from Japan,
How long wait for "your best PC part/component" , depends on "which item/factor is your most important ", I think so. Though I am enjoying a good hacintosh on my PC system ( X58, i7-970, OC 4GHz running), I am faced to the electric power reduction by my family person. Therefore I have to put the most priority for "less_consumed_electric_power" to my next PC system [ the Ivy Bridge 3770K ( maybe , on the Saver tooth Z77 ) - inside GPU core HD4000]. SO I plan to move from GTX480 to GTX680 on the point of "less_electric_power on graphic/CUDA operation ". For me. "to wait for Haswell" is TOO LONG.
I hope above explanation is helpful for your decision.

PS) The best way to reduce the electric power consuming, is "the shift to the new_iPad operation rather than using hacintosh " on the most worst situation. I plan to this worst way if really "the age of expensive electric power" will be arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back