Contribute
Register

Lion Won't Boot After Copying

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem. I'm just trying to figure out how you are restoring the drive if you

1) formatted your original drive
2) cannot boot into your clone

Are you booting into another hack or mac and restoring from there?

I did the cloning and restoring using my laptop, a retail macbook pro using a USB to SATA kit. I still have the disk image, and I've tried restoring multiple times, but that hasn't fared any different any of the times. I've got a separate windows 7 install on a separate drive in the same machine. But I can't imagine a tool that can do a restore to an HFS+ filesystem... But I've been proven wrong before.

CCC is assuming that you are restoring a Mac drive. You need to run MultiBeast and install Chimera on your restored drive. Remember to select your restored drive as the target, and not your MacBook Pro.

Can you run multibeast and target a drive that you didn't boot from? I didn't think that was possible... How can you do this? I guess it pays to try something before I ask questions. I'll give it a shot, pop the drive back in a post results in a bit.

Success! Well, sort of... I did get it working, but after running multi beast from a different machine, things didn't come right back like I was really hoping to. Apparently, the drive mappings in /Volumes didn't stay, and being that I'm on an SSD, my user directory has been mapped to an alternate SATA drive. Thus, after I started seeing that lovely tomato begin to boot my system, I got an error message saying that I couldn't be logged in for mysterious reasons.

After looking through in Single user mode, I renamed a few directories back to what they should have been. Booted back up, and voila! Everything, including my doc and icon placement on the desktop is back where it should be.

RTK, thanks for the help.

:thumbup: Glad you got it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back