Contribute
Register

List of Macs that can run macOS 14 Sonoma

fair question.
The cheapest. Thinking of buying a mobo, cpu and RAM used from ebay. It will be for 2-3 years so no need to spend much. Just keep up with macOS versions.
9th gen probably? can it go lower? i7 8th ..?

9th gen probably? can it go lower? i7 8th ..?
Either one should work. You can even use the UHD630 iGPU if you'd like to save more money. If so it's probably best to use a 2020 iMac SMBIOS. That will have the longest support. The 2018 Mac mini will likely get dropped next year.

If so it's probably best to use a 2020 iMac SMBIOS
I forgot about these! Thanks for the heads up.
I hope Apple will at least keep support for 6600 XT ... (oh how things have changed ... :rolleyes:)

What's the deal with Haswell hackintosh ? Can we spoof Coffee Lake and get on Sonoma ?

What's the deal with Haswell hackintosh ? Can we spoof Coffee Lake and get on Sonoma ?
If Haswell falls into the same category as Ivy Bridge, the read here.
If you got stuck on Ventura then ... follow the tips above (while thinking about us few who have been left behind since last year :p)

If Haswell falls into the same category as Ivy Bridge, the read here.
If you got stuck on Ventura then ... follow the tips above (while thinking about us few who have been left behind since last year )
Haswell has AVX2, so there is hope. I saw a post on insanelymac saying he installed Sonoma beta on Haskell. I am trying to get info.

I forgot about these! Thanks for the heads up.
I hope Apple will at least keep support for 6600 XT ... (oh how things have changed ... :rolleyes:)
When macOS completely abandons x86 in the future, all CPUs and GPUs related to Intel Macs will be all unsupported together.

When macOS completely abandons x86 in the future, all CPUs and GPUs related to Intel Macs will be all unsupported together.
If not with macOS 15 next year then quite likely in 2025 with macOS 16.

Haswell has AVX2, so there is hope. I saw a post on insanelymac saying he installed Sonoma beta on Haskell. I am trying to get info.
Holy .... you are right! 49xxX has AVX and 47xx has AVX2 :crazy:.
And real macs (the trashcan!!) have OpenCore Patcher....
my freakin macbook air 2015 runs ventura
And we X79ers can't even boot the abomination called win11 :sick:!
Give me a break! I am this close to diving deep into my credit card and buy me a mac studio.
i wish you all, all the best with the last versions of macOS on your custom macs.

I have updated my Haswell system to iMac19,1 SMBIOS. Everything is fine. Sonoma Beta is showing in update. I will wait for Sonoma 14.1, whenever it comes.

Back