Contribute
Register

Looking for an AMD 6000 series graphics card that is <31dB or can spin <700 RPM outside of 0 RPM Mode

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H-CF
CPU
i7 8700k
Graphics
5600 XT
It's gonna be a card between RX 6600 and RX 6900, haven't decided yet.

I was thinking about doing a build on Ventura but would also be okay with anything lower down to Catalina, with plans to update to Sonoma when there's Golden Builds for it in the forum.

(I haven't yet seen fans spin <1100 RPM and be quiet but some people claimed it was possible depending on other parameters so I added a dB rating too. But I think it probably comes down to fan speed, mostly.)

What about the 6600s by Gigabyte and Sapphire on the buyer's guide?

Additionally, people in another forum suggested to me XFX RX 6700 SWFT and AMD Radeon (reference) cards of the 6000 series or higher in response to this question so I searched for said XFX card and 6700s/6800s/6900s but didn't find a golden build for it.

Last edited:
update: I made the question easier to answer

Additionally, people in another forum suggested to me XFX RX 6700 SWFT and AMD Radeon (reference) cards of the 6000 series or higher in response to this question so I searched for said XFX card and 6700s/6800s/6900s but didn't find a golden build for it.
6700 is not supported

It's gonna be a card between RX 6600 and RX 6900, haven't decided yet.
Well, that's quite a range. You need to define your needs (not to mention budget) and decide between 6600 and 6800/6900.

As far as compatibility is concerned, the card's brand should be irrelevant. And User/Golden Builds are mostly about motherboard; any supported GPU should just fit.

Decibels do not make much sense for a GPU alone: This would rather apply to a whole build. I do not know where one could find comparisons for different GPUs in the same PC.
You have also not defined whether your noise target applies to normal work or to full load.
At full load, your best bet is a custom water loop.
Otherwise, look whether some manufacturer claims to have tweaked his cooling for noise rather than for extra fps when overclocking.

As far as alternative solutions to the "big dual/triple fan" design go, my experience is that single-slot blower-style designs are normally quiet. Radeon Pro WX4100 and WX5100 are never heard; WX7100 is similarly silent at low load and makes some low wind noise at full speed. Double-slot WX8200 is loud during boot (it starts at full speed) and then drops to a mild wind noise when regulation kicks in. These are Polaris and Vega cards.
Based on TDP, I would expect that a Radeon Pro W6600 would behave like a WX7100 and a Radeon Pro W6800 like a WX8200, but I do not own these Navi cards. (And, yes, a Radeon Pro W6600 costs almost as much as a RX 6800.)

Fractal Design Cases are all about silent PC builds, excluding the cases with tempered glass windows! They provide lots of noise deadening insulation in their cases, along with rubber gaskets to keep other devices/components running quietly.

The Fractal Design R7 is the current model to look at for a quiet and cool system case.

Also there are some development works in progress that should bring support for the RX 6700 & other Navi 22 dGPUs to macOS.

NootRX on Github is what you would need to look up. It is a Lilu.kext plugin that would be used in place of WhateverGreen.kext specifically for Navi 21, 22 & 23 AMD dGPU's.

Back