Contribute
Register

Low-profile AMD GPU's for Sonoma?

Interesting product, provided you can get it.

I wonder if the cooling on this card is really sufficient for a RX 6600?
Some comments posted on another web site:
"card is totally gimped full sized rx6600 can clock to 2400+mhz this is just 1200"
"Yeah since it was reduced to only 50w of power"

Some comments posted on another web site:
"card is totally gimped full sized rx6600 can clock to 2400+mhz this is just 1200"
"Yeah since it was reduced to only 50w of power"
I see. Massively downclocked so as to not generate too much heat.

Otherwise I don't see how such a cooling fan will be sufficient.

Seems like something one of the major brands should consider making: Visiontek? Sapphire? While using either the full sized RX6600 GPU, or the less powerful RX6600 laptop GPU, shoe-horned into a low-profile desktop PCIe card. Would likely need to be limited to only 75 Watts, in order to avoid the need for any added power connectors, beyond what the PCIe slot itself can supply.

XFX already offer the RX 6400 in low profile model, so why would any manufacturer mess with the RX 6600?

Just because macOS doesn’t support the RX 6400? I don’t think that is ever going to be on the cards.

We are more likely to get support for the RX 6400 through NootrdRed.kext. Especially when you consider that the 6000-series GPUs are no longer current. We are as likely to see the release of the 8000-series of GPUs from AMD before any company backtracks on the 6000-series.

There's now a Sparkle branded single slot, low-profile Intel A310 video card available for $99.99 on Amazon. Probably slower than an AMD RX6400, however. And: no Sonoma drivers, AFAIK.

None of the Intel GPUs are supported in macOS, so forget about using one in a Hack.

Back