Contribute
Register

Mac App Store access with NullEthernet.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! Thank you so much! :D

About of year of trying to find a solution (short of card swap/bios white listing) I have full Appstore and iMessage access with a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Touch (Hey, it was given to me for free and it's a great laptop at the price!).

Tested with a Panda Ultra Wireless N USB Adapter (RALink based) and also an Apple USB to Ethernet Adapter (which I naively thought was going to be the answer when I first stumbled across this problem)

One tip: If upon reboot, you see the new ethernet device, but still cannot access the Appstore/iMessage, do the following:

Remove all NICs (hit the "-") under System Preferences -> Networking and hit apply.

Delete the following two files:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Reboot and go back into System Preferences -> Networking and add your NICs (hit the "+"). At a minimum, you should have added your USB network adapter (wifi or wired) and "Ethernet "(which is the result of the Rehabman's righteous code)

Was so excited to get this working, I updated to 10.9.2....Now to go fix the problems I created doing that!

Hi!
I am using Macbook Air. But my Wireless card is broken, computer cannot detect card. so I used USB WIFI for internet connection now. As you know, I cannot access Mac App store using USB WIFI. So, I found solution NullEthernet.

I downloaded code from https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet
and made NullEthernet.kext without any change.
And then I install NullEthernet.kext file using Kext Wizard. And I patched DSDT file using MaciASL.(I used patch.txt file in your project) I saved as DSDT.aml in desktop. I tried to install DSDT.aml using MultiBeast UserDSDT free installation. Finally, The DSDT copied to /Extra/

I removed for network interface in System preference. reboot it.
However, after roboot, When I tried to add network interface. They just have Bluetooth DUN / VPN / PPoE / 6 to 4.

In terminal, When I typed kextstat, The NullEthernet.kext is not loaded.
Please give me a advice.
* PS : How can i do mac address randomize. I couldn't understand.

Thank you.

I am using Macbook Air. But my Wireless card is broken, computer cannot detect card. so I used USB WIFI for internet connection now. As you know, I cannot access Mac App store using USB WIFI. So, I found solution NullEthernet.

I downloaded code from https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet
and made NullEthernet.kext without any change.
And then I install NullEthernet.kext file using Kext Wizard. And I patched DSDT file using MaciASL.(I used patch.txt file in your project) I saved as DSDT.aml in desktop. I tried to install DSDT.aml using MultiBeast UserDSDT free installation. Finally, The DSDT copied to /Extra/

I removed for network interface in System preference. reboot it.
However, after roboot, When I tried to add network interface. They just have Bluetooth DUN / VPN / PPoE / 6 to 4.

In terminal, When I typed kextstat, The NullEthernet.kext is not loaded.
Please give me a advice.

Thank you.

Check that DSDT patched with RMNE is present in /Extra/dsdt.aml.

There is no need to involve Multibeast with DSDT. It is just a file. Just save it as /Extra/dsdt.aml, format: ACPI Machine Language Binary via MaciASL.

Also, no need to build NullEthernet.kext yourself (unless you want). I provide pre-built kext. Read the README for download locations.

Check that DSDT patched with RMNE is present in /Extra/dsdt.aml.

There is no need to involve Multibeast with DSDT. It is just a file. Just save it as /Extra/dsdt.aml, format: ACPI Machine Language Binary via MaciASL.

Also, no need to build NullEthernet.kext yourself (unless you want). I provide pre-built kext. Read the README for download locations.

Thank you for reply. I found RMNE in /Extra/DSDT.aml
as below.
----------------------------------------------

Device (RMNE)
{
Name (_ADR, Zero) // _ADR: Address
Name (_HID, "NULE0000") // _HID: Hardware ID
Name (MAC, Buffer (0x06)
{
0x11, 0x22, 0x33, 0x44, 0x55, 0x66
})
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
{
If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
{
Return (Buffer (One)
{
0x03
})
}

Return (Package (0x0A)
{
"built-in",
Buffer (One)
{
0x00
},

"IOName",
"ethernet",
"name",
Buffer (0x09)
{
"ethernet"
},

"model",
Buffer (0x15)
{
"RM-NullEthernet-1001"
},

"device_type",
Buffer (0x09)
{
"ethernet"
}
})
}
}
}

----------------------------------------------

What should check others? Thank you.

I am really sorry for basic questions. How can I do boot "-f".(I am trying to find, But I don't know keyword for searching ).

PS. I am using macbook air, not hackintosh. Is it not related?

Thank you.

When you said MacBookAir I thought you were saying you're using MacBookAir smbios on a hack.

You might be able to get this to work, but you'll need to customize the NullEthernetInjector.kext Info.plist to match on your existing WiFi device, and probably change the IOProbeScore to be higher than the native driver. That's assuming the device is still showing on the PCI bus. Is it?

There is no way to customize DSDT for a real Mac, unless you turn it into a hackintosh (eg. use Chameleon/Chimera/or Clover in legacy mode to boot it).

When you said MacBookAir I thought you were saying you're using MacBookAir smbios on a hack.

You might be able to get this to work, but you'll need to customize the NullEthernetInjector.kext Info.plist to match on your existing WiFi device, and probably change the IOProbeScore to be higher than the native driver. That's assuming the device is still showing on the PCI bus. Is it?

There is no way to customize DSDT for a real Mac, unless you turn it into a hackintosh (eg. use Chameleon/Chimera/or Clover in legacy mode to boot it).

Thank you for reply. My built-in wireless device is not showing on PCI bus. In this case, Is NullEthernetInjector.kext not work?

PS. I am using WIFI usb on my real mac for internet connection. I cannot access Mac app store :(
Thank you.

Thank you for reply. My built-in wireless device is not showing on PCI bus. In this case, Is NullEthernetInjector.kext not work?

It won't work in that case as you need a real "built-in" PCIe device to attach to. If it is there, but just not working (eg. drivers reject it) then that is different -- you could have NullEthernet.kext attach to the non-working device. But if the device doesn't show up on the bus, then there is nothing for it to attach to. And without a way to hack it into DSDT, you can't do it that way either.

PS. I am using WIFI usb on my real mac for internet connection. I cannot access Mac app store :(
Thank you.

The only way would be to hack the entire laptop (eg. install hackintosh bootloader, fully configure it, etc.)... not a bad option really but a bit of a task. A bit easier task than a real hackintosh, since all your devices/native DSDT are supported and doing the right thing (what Apple expects). In that case, you'd be able to patch DSDT with RMNE device and have NullEthernet attach to the fake device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back