Mac Pro 2.1 Hackintosh with 3D printed parts

Motherboard
MSI PRO Z690-A
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6600
Hi !

Today I want to show you my Mac Pro mod. First, I would like to say it is my first one and I'm new to the hackintosh comunity but I already like it so much. I feel like sharing my build could help someone and that's the main reason why I'm doing it. That would be a pleasure for me to answer you if you ask questions.

For this this projet, I had 2 main rules when I decided to make my own mod. I knew it was not going to be a classical Mac Pro mod, it where gonna be something that nobodies would have done. Maybe the only thing this project gave me is a lot more headache than every other mods but it worth it. I wanted the most original,pristine looking mac mod I could build because I like the case and I don't want to cut all the back of the case.

First rule - cutting the less possible. Because the more you cut, the more you can f*** up your project.
Second rule - Using the most 3D printed parts I can build so it iwll look nice and 3D printing is a safe zone. (That's a safe zone but it's not a fast process tho)

Back.JPG

Backcolse.JPG
Open.JPG
Openclose.JPG

IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0103.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg
IMG_0112.jpg

Theses are all the 3D printed parts that I have made for this project.

3D parts.png

It is also a hackintosh and there is the specs ;

- MacOS Big Sur
- i5 11400F
- 16Gb Ram @3200Mhz
- AsRock B560M-HDV
- MSI GTX 760 (Last supported with Big sur)
- 500Gb WD Sata nvme
- Corsair RM750
- 4 Noctuas redux fans with the cooler

Have a nice day!

Attachments

• Openclose.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:
That's a great looking Mac Pro, the 3D printed parts around the ports at the back are very tidy!. Good Job.

Hello, Is it possible to have the 3d files of your parts to print them me please

Hello, Is it possible to have the 3d files of your parts to print them me please
Hi ! Here are all the files.
It might look easier than it looks but I hope this can help you. :) Have a nice day

Attachments

• WeTransfer link.txt
    79 bytes · Views: 172
Hi ! Here are all the files.
It might look easier than it looks but I hope this can help you. :) Have a nice day
dang looks like I missed out on this file! Would you be willing to upload again? thank you

dang looks like I missed out on this file! Would you be willing to upload again? thank you
Hi, Yeah no problem.
If you are making this mod, let me know how it turned out, I'm just very curious. **My printer is calibrated, so these parts are exactly the dimensions they need to be.

Attachments

• MacPro_2.1_3D.zip
    166.5 KB · Views: 183
Nice build. On mine, which I did a few years ago, I wanted the same thing: as nice and original looking as possible, inside out. So, I have the model with one big air tunnel for the cpu. I installed a blueray burner drive up front which looks original, and uses the original Mac Pro flip front. Also, I used a 3d printed (a friend did that) frame for a small extra ssd disc, plus I use a Nvme M.2 on the motherboard. All wires are hidden inside the original Mac bottom plate and the wall up front. I bought an extra similar cabinet to get an extra complete lower full tunnel, from which I took the front part and fabricated a similar looking "start" of a tunnel for an extra big fan in the front of the middle tunnel. The small fan and housing for the original Mac gpu I couldn't use, as it was too restrictive for a fast cpu and more so a fast gpu. To aid some extra air flow, I installed two very big Noctua fans above each other front and one down rear. Uppermost mid, I installed a high flowing Noctua fan for the pwr, and I took the new PC pwr apart and soldered it all in to the original Mac Pro pwr cabinet, so it also uses the original power connector and original special copuntersunk 230 Volt cable. I also use the retainer with the two Mac fingerscrews for keeping the gpu in place at the rear panel. My gpu use a tripple rear plate (3 ports), so is pretty big. Very nice made by Apple in my humble view. My GPU also weighs in at 2 kilo, so the upper chassis of the lower tunnel, with the cut out I made, helps as a gpu lifting support arm. Nothing else is needed. And no unsightly arm as we normally see in pc's.
To further aid airflow, I cut a part of the top plastic lid out of the lower tunnel's top, oi the upside down GPU (BIG) can spread it's air downwards. In the lower tunnel, I have to big Noctua fans in/out and two similar on the cpu cooler (10900K) and big Noctua cpu cooler. This way I have 4 big fans moving air in the lower cpu tunnel, which also cools two RAM sticks (only tow sticks so they run faster (tnah 4 sticks), and aids the NvME M.2 stick and push the GPU downpresssed air out as well. This way, I make sure the GPU does not have to press out a lot of air in the middle tunnel.
All of the original click system is retained. I also dechifered the original Mac Pro front connector cable and functions and translated it into PC system, so all the original front buttons and connectors work as intended. I made my own special shielded cabling for that mini pcb to the connectors on the motherboard, so it would fit and I have zero errors on data transfer, something that you will not have if you buy cables.
I use Windows and it's seriously fast and dead stable and super easy to take apart and also to dust off.
The frame in the front of the middle tunnel I fabricated from another lower tunnel I described, I epoxied in place and it looks factory. All dimesions and roundings (curves) are kept top Mac Pro cabinet standard. I did not cut out the flat section between the pwr and the motherboard rear connectors, so I instead 3d printed a frame, a little bit like yours, that click into place, and it also meant I could retain the original Mac Pro sticker on the rear, barcodes etc. I just chose a material for the 3d printing, that resembles the same light grey Apple color. Had to do it a few times to get the right color. I use a 27" Mac Cinema monitor, which in all honesty is fast enough and have better specs that one would expecct, as they give average numbers, not peak numbers as normal pc monitors do ;), and all sound and extra functionality is retained from Mac to the pc build. I can control the Cinema via software in windows, for example brightness, sound etc. I can shift easily between this monitors sound and my Bang & Olufsen Beolab4 speakers in red on my desk. On the web I found the usual nice cabinet edge protectors for vacuum cleaning anti-ding, and the headphone holder to click on and off on the top front handle of the Mac Pro cabinet. I made the cut out of the top of the lower tunnel so, that I attatched an extra piece of the same Mac plastic from the other tunnel I bought, so that it covers an extra large cutout, if I need to get a faster gpu later on, like 4090 or similar. There is exactly space for that.
Also, when I soldered in the new pc pwr into the Mac cabinet, I turned it so, that it retains maximum airflow through the upper tunnel (3 in total, as you know). This way I don't suck hot air from the middle tunnel where the GPU warms things up, and into a pwr - bad idea. Instead I now direct cold air from the upper front, directly through the upper tunnel, over the pwr and out in the upper rear, without any mixing of air and without any change in air direction that slows excavation of hot air, which a normal pwr does - bad idea.
My cpu can run 6Ghz cold and gpu can overclock cold. But since it's really not needed, I don't do that any more. Not needed. But can do if need be. It's very important in my humble view, to get the best airflow in all three levels - tunnels. Apple did a good job and this is an improved version of that. I'd say MUCH improved, and it needs to be so, if one runs modern pc hardware. I need a fast gpu and cpu etc, so I had to think these matters over. Problem solved. I don't really have the need for hot swapping discs any more, so did not do that, although it's been prepared to do so, in the sense that I have the parts and can install the special connectors etc. With M.2 and extra ssd, it's really an old technique, that I don't see the need for. But smart it is.
This build can remain the same for a long time, as boards, cpu's, gpu's abnd pwr's remain compatible to this build.
But as I said, it is über important to get the max airflow in and out without any, or at least as few obstacles as possible. So in my build, I use 4 big fans, two big cpu fans and the 3 fans on the gpu. All Noctua high flow ones, apart from the gpu onboard fans. As usual very easy to autoregulate and manually regulate. Even in maximum flow mode, which I never use, it's still relatively silent, and in silent mode, normal mode and in improved mode, it's dead silent. From what I looked into, the Noctua fans are very well designed, and last long, while having many small technial features that improves airflow and airspeed. Other things may well come, and I will then just swap for that. It's about capacity, even if you normally don't use it. All are suspended and no ressonnances occur. I seriously dislike any pc cabinet also aluminium ones, and Apple did a huge very expensive job to design theirs, and it's well worth using. It's always elegant and works extremely well. Despite a huge market for cabinets and a likewise huge market for extras, I have not yet found a better solution. I'll stick to that for a long time. ;)
Thanks for sharing.
Kind regards,
Redfox.

Last edited:
Back