Register

Need help migrating to a different motherboard

Motherboard
Gigabyte B75M-D3H
CPU
G1610
Graphics
GTX 760
Hi there. I'll admit that this was set up years and years ago -- long enough that the original motherboard seems to have failed -- and I'm at a loss as to how to migrate to a different motherboard. I'm hoping someone can give me some explicit instructions as to how to proceed.

The summary is that my Yosemite system running on ASRock H97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard with Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor and Gigabyte WINDFORCE GeForce GTX 760 2 GB Video Card will not boot.

I tried clearing CMOS, replacing the CMOS battery, reseating cables RAM and CPU, and ultimately replaced the power supply, to no avail. In every case, I press the power button, various fans start running in the case, but the motherboard never makes it through POST i.e. even with a speaker hooked up, I don't get any beeps of any kind, no error codes, no final happy beep, nothing, no splash screen, pressing DEL repeatedly does nothing either.

In an effort to further debug the problem, I have a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard here, not sure of the CPU but it's something cheap with integrated graphics, probably Intel Celeron G1610 2.6 GHz Dual-Core Processor based on receipts, and I hooked up the new power supply, case power buttons, keyboard, and HDMI cable, along with the boot drive, and was able to get into the boot process. (Did not connect the dedicated graphics card.)

That said, after displaying the Yosemite name and the icon for the boot loader against a black background, it shows the Apple logo, in grey and white, with a bar moving below it, and after a couple of minutes, maybe at 40% completion, the bar disappears and I get something that looks like a stop sign, a grey circle with a slash through it with an octagon around it.

If I had to guess, it's likely that I'm missing drivers, or settings, or similar, for the new motherboard.

99% sure the old motherboard is just bad, it's ten years old, though if I'm missing something, I'm open to suggestions of things to try.

If someone who has gone through this experience could make suggestions to me as to how to proceed, I'm all ears.

I suspect I need to get an updated boot loader of some sort, and put that on the drive, along with updated configuration and/or updated drivers.

Thanks in advance, I've only ever built two machines like this, and it was a long time ago, I bet someone has gone through this sort of process before and can share their notes!

Oh, and with the old motherboard I did try disconnecting all the power cables for all the peripherals, and also tried it with and without the graphics card in the case, none of that made a difference either.

I've updated my hardware profile to the last working configuration -- the one that will not boot at all (no POST).

I referenced an alternative motherboard that I have -- I am not sure of the CPU -- that did start the boot process but ultimately stopped part way through.

Very much appreciate any help anyone can give.

I've updated my hardware profile to the last working configuration -- the one that will not boot at all (no POST).

I referenced an alternative motherboard that I have -- I am not sure of the CPU -- that did start the boot process but ultimately stopped part way through.

Very much appreciate any help anyone can give.
best to not use your other system as Celeron's are not supported, although if you can put in your i5, that would be better

possible you have a USB issue, but also re check your bios settings

Interesting to hear Celeron processors aren't supported -- that certainly would make it hard for the replacement motherboard to boot.

Unfortunately they are different sockets so I'll have to see if I have another processor I can put in this board.

Oh, and on the H97M that I've been running forever, it doesn't even POST i.e. I can't get into the BIOS to change any settings. I press the power button, the fans on the various things whir, and I never get the splash screen with the manufacturer name.

Interesting to hear Celeron processors aren't supported -- that certainly would make it hard for the replacement motherboard to boot.

Unfortunately they are different sockets so I'll have to see if I have another processor I can put in this board.
you can fake the CPU have a search for fakecpu clover as that may work as you are using a dedicated nvidia card, that will be fine
(celeron gpu is a big no no!)
Oh, and on the H97M that I've been running forever, it doesn't even POST i.e. I can't get into the BIOS to change any settings. I press the power button, the fans on the various things whir, and I never get the splash screen with the manufacturer name.
if the board has gone, then probably not much you can do

remove all but cpu and memory and test the board to see if it works

I suspect I can disable the integrated Celeron GPU in the BIOS, that'll likely be cleaner than doing something in the software configuration.

I guess I'll try this again with the separate GPU installed and the integrated GPU disabled. (I didn't even have the GPU installed on the previous attempt.)

I suspect I can disable the integrated Celeron GPU in the BIOS, that'll likely be cleaner than doing something in the software configuration.

I guess I'll try this again with the separate GPU installed and the integrated GPU disabled. (I didn't even have the GPU installed on the previous attempt.)
ok

just be sure to update your profile when you have a system that can power on :)

Back