Contribute
Register

New build? Questions about newest hardware compatibility and older MacOS compatibility.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH-F11+Clover
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GTX 1650 (not working)
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Apple
  4. Color Classic
  5. iBook
  6. iMac
  7. LC
  8. Performa
  9. Plus
  10. Portable
  11. Power Mac
  12. PowerBook
  13. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Hello everyone!!

I have not built a Hackintosh since 2012, and now my MB and components are very outdated. While it still performs it is lagging in CPU power and updates have stopped working. I was wondering if it is still practical or even viable to make a new build? When will the support for older Intel hardware cease to function with MacOS? I have had difficulties using Nvidia graphics cards because of the drivers, and see that AMD is now the supported GPU that is used.

My main question is will the older 32bit MacOS (Sonoma) work with a AMD card? I have some older software that will not work on the newer MacOS after that version.

When will Apple stop support for the Intel hardware before moving on exclusively to ARM processors? At that point I will just buck up and buy a new M2 or newer laptop and see if I have any trade in value on my MacBook Pro w/ TB.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you to the TonyMac community for the fantastic Hackintosh support over the years, I have enjoyed coming on this site and reading users posts and solutions.You all rock! :headbang:

My main question is will the older 32bit MacOS (Sonoma) work with a AMD card?
There's never been a 32 bit Sonoma. With Catalina all support for 32 bit programs and apps was dropped.
It has no influence on whether an AMD graphics card will work.
When will Apple stop support for the Intel hardware before moving on exclusively to ARM processors?
No one here knows that. It may be this June or next year or 2026. Make a guess.
My guess is in 2025 but I could be wrong.
I have had difficulties using Nvidia graphics cards because of the drivers, and see that AMD is now the supported GPU that is used.
You could use your HD4000 iGPU with a newish macOS like Big Sur and be able to run more modern programs on your current hardware. Then you can wait and see when Apple drops all Intel support.

Thank you for the quick response. I will be reading the link you posted regarding the Ivy bridge and OC install.

I still would would like to upgrade my hardware to a newer, more powerful processor, MB and ram. I was looking at a new Gigabyte Aorus Pro MB and i5 much like you are running. Can you run 12th or 13th gen Intel cpus?

The main page looks like native support stopped with 10th gen.

I have been looking at something like a Gigbyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX. I know that the BT and WiFi wont work natively, nor the on board graphics. I will buy a GPU and WiFi card to make things work.

I appreciate the input, give me a better understanding of if it is worth the time, money and effort. Or maybe just purchasing a AMD card and using my old hardware is the better route which is what it sounds like you are suggesting.

Thanks again TRS-96!

Can you run 12th or 13th gen Intel cpus?
Many people do. Take a look in User Builds and Golden Builds for guides and examples.

If I needed a new build (I don't) I would go with 12th gen and follow this guide.

Won't be cheap but will be many times more powerful than what you have now. You can always run Win11 on it two to three years after macOS drops Intel support. Note you could substitute the AMD RX6600 for the GPU that Casey features in the build.

If buying used doesn't bother you, the used Z690 Aero sells for just $150 on Amazon. You still get full return rights if it doesn't work properly. Is Gigabyte refurbished.

The best deal looks like this one, just has external box damage and the buyer returned it because of that.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Last edited:
You read my mind regarding Windows 11, although I don't necessarily like Windows and all the problems that come with it. That was one of the next questions I was going to ask about. Plus I do run Ubuntu, Mint and a few other Linux distros, so I like having a multiboot ability. I rather like having that flexibility. Money isn't an issue. I would prefer new components and I usually choose ones that aren't at the top of the line, as long as they will last more than 5-7 years. This Gigabyte board I have has lasted 12 years and still runs strong, just slower for the age.

You have helped enormously by pointing me in the right direction with links and suggestions. That is why I have always loved the hackintosh community, and TonyMac's forums!

Thanks again!

Back