Register

Radeon HD 6870 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
eelhead said:
What port are you using on the GPU?
Also which 6870?? As in who makes it?

Hi Eelhead,
I have tried it in the PCIe x8 -1 and -2 ports, as well as the PCIe x16 -1 and -2 ports.
It is a XFX Radeon HD 6870 card.

Thanks,
M8Y

No I meant what video port are you using?
You should have it in the recommended PCI slot of the motherboards manufacturer, most likely the PCI slot closest to the CPU.

The recommend by the manufacturer is to place it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; after that didn't work (and after trying different boot flag attempts) I moved it around to the other slots to see if those would work.

Yes, 2 DVI, 2 Mini and one HDMI. I was using the DVI port, and then the mini to see if there was a difference. Same result.

I wouldn't rule out an actual defect in the card. XFX is on the low end of manufacturers if I recall correctly, lots of cost cutting measures. If you have the receipt I would consider possibly swapping the card out for another, even if it is another XFX card, just to rule out a defective card.

That's what I thought. I went out and grabbed an Asus GTX550 Ti. I installed, and while it doesn't cut out, it doesn't go past the iBoot into SL startup. The computer shuts down and restarts up and now the cursor is just flashing on the left top of frame looking for the startup.

:banghead: WTF?

Problem Solved! Defective SATA cable to the hard disk. Replaced with a new one - back in business! :clap:

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back