CPU
Ryzen 9 5950X
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello. I bought Radeon RX Vega 64 on Sierra thinking all AMD cards were 'set it and forget it'. I had a GTX 1070 Ti before and a GTX 1080 Ti before. Both cards work fine with Nvidia drivers however I realized for Mojave there is no support. So I decided to buy AMD instead.

To my surprise this thing needs a driver but because it's supposed to be 'native', I can't download any AMD driver for Radeon RX Vega 64 on Sierra.

Can anybody please let me know if this has been done before?
What kext/driver/program do I need?

Try installing High Sierra 10.13.6 instead of Sierra. Better yet install Mojave.

So there is absolutely nothing I can do?

I will never ever ever have 3d acceleration on Sierra?

So there is absolutely nothing I can do?

I will never ever ever have 3d acceleration on Sierra?

Sierra had traces fo the Vega code (probably for testing) but you will need the 10000controllerkext and AMD5000kext for the drivers to work correctly. Is there a reason you can't upgrade to High Sierra? Using previous versions of kexts can work but I've never seen anyone use newer kexts in an old software.

Yes I am unable I have X99 and I am following a guide and it gets stuck on PCI Configuration. I DO NOT have time as I need to program something and want to have a usable/working computer TODAY. I can upgrade in the future on a weekend or something I started following a guide but man that guide will easily take me 2-3 days. I do not know if the hardware I have will work or maybe that guide only works for that mobo.

With that said back to the question.

Where do I download the updated
10000controllerkext and AMD5000kext

1) Is there a OS limitation that prevents users from running AMD Vega 64 on Sierra
2) Is it just a matter of drivers?

Thanks!!

You could try these kexts but it may blow out your Sierra build. If you want to take the risk and have a backup of Sierra you can test. Warning don't hold me or tonymacx86 responsible if it doesn't work or ruins your Sierra software. First make a folder and copy the System/Library/Extensions folder AMD kexts in case you need to replace them again after testing.

For testing: Place only these kexts on your desktop and run Kextbeast attached. Select System/Library/Extensions NOT Library/Extensions.

Attachments

• AMD Vega kexts HS.zip
    22.9 MB · Views: 294
I have a backup of my partition.
Can you please let me know if those files can be uploaded?
Let's give it the good college try! :)

Thanks. I have 2 copies using Carbon Copy Clover. Actually this hard drive was purchased to test/mess around with.

$ git status

On branch master

Changes not staged for commit:

(use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)

(use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

modified: AMDFramebuffer.kext/Contents/Info.plist

modified: AMDFramebuffer.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMDFramebuffer

modified: AMDFramebuffer.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources

modified: AMDFramebuffer.kext/Contents/version.plist

Untracked files:

(use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

AMD10000Controller.kext/

AMDRadeonX5000.kext/

AMDRadeonX5000GLDriver.bundle/

AMDRadeonX5000HWServices.kext/

AMDRadeonX5000MTLDriver.bundle/

AMDRadeonX5000Shared.bundle/

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

rebooting now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back