Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've just had to reset and reinstall macOS on my M2 Mac Mini.

Apple have changed the process massively. Previously you had to sign out of everything very carefully then re-install from the Installer in pretty much the same way we do with a Hackintosh (with added "activation" because of the T2 chip).

With the latest versions of Ventura and Monterey the process is roughly the same as resetting your iPhone. All done from Erase and Reset from the Settings menu. Once done you get the same "hello" screens.

Convergence?

Last edited:
When I tried it, I booted in to Recovery Mode and did everything from there. It's basically, initialize disk, install macOS, and done.

When I tried it, I booted in to Recovery Mode and did everything from there. It's basically, initialize disk, install macOS, and done.

Yeah, that’s how it was.

None of that required now. Just Erase and Reset from Settings.

On the updated Apple support page they do offer a link to the old method for previous versions of macOS that don’t have the new feature.

The older method link is “Can’t see this option?”

:)

Yeah, that’s how it was.

None of that required now. Just Erase and Reset from Settings.

On the updated Apple support page they do offer a link to the old method for previous versions of macOS that don’t have the new feature.

The older method link is “Can’t see this option?”

Wow! I didn't know about this new feature. I might try it out.

With the latest versions of Ventura and Monterey the process is roughly the same as resetting your iPhone. All done from Erase and Reset from the Settings menu. Once done you get the same "hello" screens.
I didn't see this procedure in Monterey's System Preferences pane. Where is the erase and reset located in Monterey?

I didn't see this procedure in Monterey's System Preferences pane. Where is the erase and reset located in Monterey?

Sorry, I’m on Ventura - Apple just state in the guidance it is Monterey as well.
My guess is you must be on the latest point update.

Sorry, I’m on Ventura - Apple just state in the guidance it is Monterey as well.
My guess is you must be on the latest point update.

I am. Let me know if you run across the way to do it in Monterey.

I am. Let me know if you run across the way to do it in Monterey.

macOS Monterey​

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.
  2. From the System Preferences menu in the menu bar, choose Erase All Content and Settings. Can't see this option?

Stolen from the link in post #3 :cool:

macOS Monterey​

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.
  2. From the System Preferences menu in the menu bar, choose Erase All Content and Settings. Can't see this option?

Stolen from the link in post #3 :cool:
From the Apple link:
Erase All Content and Settings is only available in macOS Monterey or later, and only on a Mac with Apple silicon or a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip.
I'm using my hackintosh, not an Apple Silicon. So, even though I have a SMBIOS of iMacPro1,1, the Sys Pref menu in the menu bar does not show "Erase All Content and Settings". Nuts!

Thanks for your help.

From the Apple link:

I'm using my hackintosh, not an Apple Silicon. So, even though I have a SMBIOS of iMacPro1,1, the Sys Pref menu in the menu bar does not show "Erase All Content and Settings". Nuts!

Thanks for your help.
There you got me...

Back