Contribute
Register

Sierra clean install ud3r-x58a does not see SSD on bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best to open config.plist in Clover Configurator (download and Install from http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/)
  • After launching CC mount your System disk's EFI by clicking "Mount EFI" from left panel of CC window>"Mount EFI"
  • "Check Partition" button at the bottom to verify your System Disk selection to Mount its EFI [If you have more disks attached to your Motherboard you need to get the real target]
  • Your Pass word required to proceed
  • Click then "Mount EFI partition" from bottom Right of CC window.
  • Locate "EFI" on desktop now
  • Click EFI>EFI>CLOVER>config.plist and RT click "Open with"... "Clover Configurator" NOT any other default editor
  • Click "Gui" menu from left panel
  • Check [ ] Legacy [toward top of the window among the crowded option check boxes]
  • Save the edited config.plist at its original location EFI>CLOVER >Config. plist replacing the previous unedited one.

I will do this as soon as I get home. I REALLY appreciate your help. This is my video editing machine for my business, so I'm very frustrated. Was even looking at getting a USB to SATA adapter or a different drive. Hoping this works. If everything works out I am going to make a detailed post with my experience to help others.

Best to open config.plist in Clover Configurator (download and Install from http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/)
  • After launching CC mount your System disk's EFI by clicking "Mount EFI" from left panel of CC window>"Mount EFI"
  • "Check Partition" button at the bottom to verify your System Disk selection to Mount its EFI [If you have more disks attached to your Motherboard you need to get the real target]
  • Your Pass word required to proceed
  • Click then "Mount EFI partition" from bottom Right of CC window.
  • Locate "EFI" on desktop now
  • Click EFI>EFI>CLOVER>config.plist and RT click "Open with"... "Clover Configurator" NOT any other default editor
  • Click "Gui" menu from left panel
  • Check [ ] Legacy [toward top of the window among the crowded option check boxes]
  • Save the edited config.plist at its original location EFI>CLOVER >Config. plist replacing the previous unedited one.

I configured a brand new Unibeast USB with your instructions. Booted from USB and still only see two device options:

Boot from EFI
Boot Mac OS X From USB.

I have attached a screenshot of the Clover boot screen and Clover Configurator. Maybe I should try PBR instead of PBRsata? Other drivers?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 7.36.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 7.36.34 PM.png
    211.3 KB · Views: 177
I had advised to do the editing in the "Gui" menu only . Your image shows you have gone to "Boot" menu and did unneeded changes without placing a check mark [=Tick mark] in the box of Legacy, which is located in "Gui" . Please see attached image of Clover Configurator opening the config.plist and going to Gui menu , locating the check box of Legacy and checking it.

Whatever you have done in Boot, you should undo.

Attachments

• ConfigPlist_CCC_Gui_Legacy checked 2016-11-14.png
    ConfigPlist_CCC_Gui_Legacy checked 2016-11-14.png
    248.4 KB · Views: 163
I had advised to do the editing in the "Gui" menu only . Your image shows you have gone to "Boot" menu and did unneeded changes without placing a check mark [=Tick mark] in the box of Legacy, which is located in "Gui" . Please see attached image of Clover Configurator opening the config.plist and going to Gui menu , locating the check box of Legacy and checking it.

Whatever you have done in Boot, you should undo.

You're right. I sent the wrong screen grab. Sorry about that! I did confirm that "Legacy" was selected in the GUI section. I even created a new USB to make sure. I'm attaching a shot of what my screen looks like after I boot from the USB, install Sierra then reboot from the USB.

Attachments

• IMG_4573.JPG
    IMG_4573.JPG
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 132
This Clover Boot menu shows only "two External Disks" , One of which you called "Install Sierra"
Can you post an image of your Motherboard's BIOS setup page listing all your hard disks?
Since I don't have your board or seen its BIOS setup page, I cannot say where exactly they show the hard disk attached to SATA ports on your BIOS Setup screen.

In some Gigabytes they are under Standard CMOS in others under Advanced BIOS Features. I am wondering why your HDD is not seen listed on your Clover Boot Screen when you said you had installed Sierra in Legacy mode and selected Legacy scan in Clover config.plist.

The only other reason I can think of are:
  • The HDD is not attached to the MoBo SATA Port or its SATA Power cable is fallen off the power socket
  • AHCI enabled option is NOT in the BIOS now
  • You have Disabled the Disk in BIOS setup
  • The Hard disk is damaged
I suggest you to RECHECK BIOS setup. Image from the BIOS Setup Screen is important for us to know. your SATA HDD

This Clover Boot menu shows only "two External Disks" , One of which you called "Install Sierra"
Can you post an image of your Motherboard's BIOS setup page listing all your hard disks?
Since I don't have your board or seen its BIOS setup page, I cannot say where exactly they show the hard disk attached to SATA ports on your BIOS Setup screen.

In some Gigabytes they are under Standard CMOS in others under Advanced BIOS Features. I am wondering why your HDD is not seen listed on your Clover Boot Screen when you said you had installed Sierra in Legacy mode and selected Legacy scan in Clover config.plist.

• The HDD is not attached to the MoBo SATA Port or its SATA Power cable is fallen off the power socket
I suggest you to RECHECK BIOS setup. Image from the BIOS Setup Screen is important for us to know. your SATA HDD

You got it. I'll grab some shots tonight. I'm sure I have AHCI set for everything, but I will post shots. I think I might have the drive plugged in the wrong port. I'm going to try all the ports tonight. The drive has power and does work. I was able to format and install Sierra on it from the USB.

I also read a few threads about formatting the USB using MBR, so I might try that with a different USB stick.

Thanks again for your help!

Tonight I plugged the SSD into every port. I was still unable to see the SSD as a boot option when I booted from the USB. I'm attaching my BIOS configuration screenshots as well as my current config.plist file. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

What about removing the BIOS battery? Am I missing anything?
Photo Nov 15, 6 42 12 PM.jpg Photo Nov 15, 6 42 27 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo Nov 15, 6 42 56 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 15, 6 42 56 PM.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 122
  • Photo Nov 15, 6 43 06 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 15, 6 43 06 PM.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 106
  • Photo Nov 15, 6 43 16 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 15, 6 43 16 PM.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
  • Photo Nov 15, 10 21 31 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 15, 10 21 31 PM.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 111
  • Photo Nov 15, 10 21 40 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 15, 10 21 40 PM.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 108
  • Photo Nov 15, 10 21 56 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 15, 10 21 56 PM.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 98
  • Photo Nov 15, 10 22 17 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 15, 10 22 17 PM.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 111
  • Photo Nov 15, 10 23 03 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 15, 10 23 03 PM.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 101
  • config.plist
    4.6 KB · Views: 168
Thank you for all those images. We are closer to the mystery of "missing SSD", I guess.
I have not had a chance to fully analyze all the uploaded images yet.
One glaring problem seen, and that could explain the cause of the "missing SATA SSD" is that
you Scierra System Disk "OCZ_Vertex" is in PCI Mode NOT SATA Mode!!!!!!

See attached edited images from your post and comaprison with my SSD in disk utility.
I will give a detailed post ASAP but this is enough for you to start taking corrective measures to attach the disk to SATA port for Clover to See it during Boot. Whether or not, you may have to re-partition, reformat and reinstall can be decided only after a reboot with the Interface changed from PCI to SATA and seeing if it will come to the Clover Boot Manager screen for successful boot.

Your USB Scierra_InstallerFlash Disk Looks OK .[Uploaded edited]

Attachments

• OCZ_VertexPCI.png
    OCZ_VertexPCI.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 151
  • MySandisk_Scierra_SATA.png
    MySandisk_Scierra_SATA.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 144
  • SanDisk_USB_FD.png
    SanDisk_USB_FD.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
Thank you for all those images. We are closer to the mystery of "missing SSD", I guess.
I have not had a chance to fully analyze all the uploaded images yet.
One glaring problem seen, and that could explain the cause of the "missing SATA SSD" is that
you Scierra System Disk "OCZ_Vertex" is in PCI Mode NOT SATA Mode!!!!!!

See attached edited images from your post and comaprison with my SSD in disk utility.
I will give a detailed post ASAP but this is enough for you to start taking corrective measures to attach the disk to SATA port for Clover to See it during Boot. Whether or not, you may have to re-partition, reformat and reinstall can be decided only after a reboot with the Interface changed from PCI to SATA and seeing if it will come to the Clover Boot Manager screen for successful boot.

Your USB Scierra_InstallerFlash Disk Looks OK .[Uploaded edited]

I should have mentioned the photo I took was when the drive was plugged into the GSATA (White ports), not SATA Port 0. I'll grab another shot with it plugged in to Port 0. I'm sure it was SATA when that was the case. Your help is greatly appreciated and I don't feel like this will fail with your help. Thanks so much.

Here is the drive plugged in to port 0.
IMG_4593.JPG
IMG_4594.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back