CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
R9 280X
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hey, so I just updated my hack from High Sierra to Catalina (wanted to do that before I jump to Big Sur) for the most part everything is working with no issues except when the OS boots it is very slow, especially at the end of the boot it slows way down, compared to High Sierra, and now my lacie external usb HD does not show up where as my Verbatim external usb HD does with no issues. just wondering if anyone might have an idea of how to fix. I'm still using Clover r5123.1 if that makes any difference, haven't jumped to OC, might do that when I'm ready to go to Big Sur.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.3 KB · Views: 6
hey, so I just updated my hack from High Sierra to Catalina (wanted to do that before I jump to Big Sur) for the most part everything is working with no issues except when the OS boots it is very slow, especially at the end of the boot it slows way down, compared to High Sierra, and now my lacie external usb HD does not show up where as my Verbatim external usb HD does with no issues. just wondering if anyone might have an idea of how to fix. I'm still using Clover r5123.1 if that makes any difference, haven't jumped to OC, might do that when I'm ready to go to Big Sur.

Hi there.

Maybe boot in verbose mode - you select the "-v" boot-argument or use the Clover menu option - which should give you a scrolling run-down of the boot process where it stalls for that time.

If this doesn't work then ensure all external devices are disconnected when you boot to see if the pause still occurs.

Are you using the same USB port for both the Lacie and Verbatum external drives? If not then the problem there is likely the USB mapping. So ...

... when you updated from High Sierra to Catalina did you change anything in your EFI? System-definition?

Have you done any port-mapping?

:)

Hey sorry it's been a month sense I've been able to actually do anything to try and fix my Hack. so just did a verbose mode boot and it comes up as [IGPU] Hash Data from Me never returned, status = 1
looks like the fix is to add -disablegfxfirmware to my boot arguments, going to try that.

No I am not using the same port for both external HDs, I have tried plugging them in to different ports and the lacie does not work on any of them where as the Verbatum works on all of them, it's weird.

I thing I added a new Kernal but that is about it. didn't really do anything other than that

and no I have not done any port-mapping that I can think of.

I have also noticed that my Apps window lags when i open it.

So yea the -disablegfxfirmware fixed the slow boot and the lag when I open the Apps window. but did not fix the external HD issue which is just weird to me because it worked just fine on High Sierra.

How is the LaCie USB drive formatted?
How is the Verbatim USB drive formatted?

Has the Lacie drive been formatted as APFS?
If yes, which version of macOS was used to format the drive?
If it was High Sierra, then you may need to make sure the ApfsDriverLoader.efi driver is loaded and not a specific apfs.efi driver.

Back