Contribute
Register

[Solved] Can't update from Big Sur to Monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.
What EFI did you use to get the installer going and start to installer? are you installing on an internal hard drive?
I'm trying to update my current Big Sur install to Monterey. Right now, I'm using the EFI folder attached here. After some cleaning, it's pretty simple, not many quirks needed. I was able to update Big Sur to the latest beta version without any issues using this same folder, but can't update to Monterey. I'm trying to update the system on an internal ssd (nvme), yes.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11.8 MB · Views: 96
First of all: thank you all.

The problem with this one is that it is designed for a different laptop. For example, I don't need ecenabler.kext (there's a new version), notouchid.kext, nor xcci-unsupported.kext. And the usbports.kext is mapped for your laptop model, the configuration will be different in mine. I can just delete those, and replace usbports (or just don't use it at all as I don't need to use it in my current build), but you also use some SSDTs I don't need, and have a couple of useless quirks enabled (applecpupmcfglock is for old processors...)

In the spur of the moment I believe the build I uploaded included a small kext test build I was working on, so my apologies if that EFI seemed a bit messy. That said not all of the kexts are 'useless'. For 'xhci-unsupported', sometimes during testing those kexts are what's required to get the system into a useable state.

Actually I do have a 'cleaner' version uploaded earlier onto my build's page (EFI 10.15 11 12.zip). This was the latest version I uploaded which includes the required Monterey boot-args. You will need to uncheck the SSDT-R7M460.aml and the LapicKernelPanic in order to boot with my EFI - the LapicKernelPanic is a HP-specific fix.

I have also had a look at your newest build just now. Seems you had a few things set incorrectly.
First you had set both the CPUTscSync and TscAdjustReset together - really they should be loaded either/or but not together (because they offer the same function). You also didn't put in the Monterey settings in the boot-arg which is -wegbeta -no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1. I have also disabled majority of the Bluetooth kexts because aside from the Airportbrcm and BlueToolFixup they won't work with Monterey. I have also added in the framebuffer patches for the UHD 620 - without those you'll get missing VRAM values (thus acceleration) with your IGPU.

Anyways try the 'Shinji3rd EFI 2' one first (it should boot). If the booting still plays up, you may have to disable VoodooI2C and VoodooPS2 temporarliy.

Attachments

• EFI 10.15 11 12.zip
    21.7 MB · Views: 78
  • Shinji3rd EFI 2.zip
    12.2 MB · Views: 93
First you had set both the CPUTscSync and TscAdjustReset together
Check minkernel and maxkernel options. It loads one OR the other depending on the system (CPUTscSync up to Big Sur, TscAdjustReset for Monterey and up), but never both.

-wegbeta -no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1
In latest version of Whatevergreen, wegbeta is not needed anymore. The other two are meant for different scenarios, and other users are not using them to update / boot into Monterey. Anyway, I tried all those bootargs together when you mentioned them before, to see if something would change, but nothing changed.

As for the HD 620 patches, Whatevergreen recognize it correctly and everything works in Big Sur. Are the patches needed for Monterey only? I'll test with the folder you provided me, and let you know. Thanks again for taking your time to look into this.

EDIT: Ok. Tried with Shinji3rd EFI 2. Same results, I starts the process in verbose and never gets to the installer. It just reboots in less than a minute.

Last edited:
Check minkernel and maxkernel options. It loads one OR the other depending on the system (CPUTscSync up to Big Sur, TscAdjustReset for Monterey and up), but never both.

In latest version of Whatevergreen, wegbeta is not needed anymore. The other two are meant for different scenarios, and other users are not using them to update / boot into Monterey. Anyway, I tried all those bootargs together when you mentioned them before, to see if something would change, but nothing changed.
Okay. Was not aware of wegbeta deprecation.

If you are experiencing issues, why not post a screenshot of what the KP is for us to check?

For the Monterey, I had also used the csr-active-config 77080000 values that was working with my current setup and also disabled SecureBoot. From what I understand, Monterey has been affecting Intel bluetooth in Z490 builds and may also affect it generally. You will have to add in the IntelBluetoothFirmware and IntelBluetoothInjector with maxed kernel value 20.9.9 in addition to the Bluetoolfixup to see if it works.

As I said earlier, also try disabling VoodooPS2 and I2C to see if it helps with the boot.

As for the HD 620 patches, Whatevergreen recognize it correctly and everything works in Big Sur. The patches are needed for Monterey only? I'll test with the folder you provided me, and let you know. Thanks again for taking your time to look into this.
Actually the extra patches for the HD 620 work also with Big Sur so you should add them in your main build.
Sure you're welcome.

I'm trying to update my current Big Sur install to Monterey. Right now, I'm using the EFI folder attached here. After some cleaning, it's pretty simple, not many quirks needed. I was able to update Big Sur to the latest beta version without any issues using this same folder, but can't update to Monterey. I'm trying to update the system on an internal ssd (nvme), yes.
for starters, try changing securebootmodel to disabled, DMGloading to Any, enable Watchdog disable ApplePanic, Set Hibernate Mode to NONE, enable 'LegacyEnable', Disable Bluetooth Injector sine you're using Bluetool.kekt, disable Third party drives, Enable RebuildAppleMemoryMap. Add xhciunsupported kext, make sure the kext has a plist file in show package contents folder. try this with your setup exactly as it is. let me know how that goes

As for the HD 620 patches, Whatevergreen recognize it correctly and everything works in Big Sur. Are the patches needed for Monterey only? I'll test with the folder you provided me, and let you know. Thanks again for taking your time to look into this.

EDIT: Ok. Tried with Shinji3rd EFI 2. Same results, I starts the process in verbose and never gets to the installer. It just reboots in less than a minute.
try using this config.plist. I didn't add any kext, just changed some settings in open core. try it and see if it works

Attachments

• config.plist
    38.2 KB · Views: 76
You will have to add in the IntelBluetoothFirmware and IntelBluetoothInjector with maxed kernel value
I don't use any of those, as I'm using the DW1560 instead of an Intel wifi/bt.

csr-active-config 77080000
I saw it in the EFI you sent. I'm keeping it like that.

also try disabling VoodooPS2 and I2C to see if it helps with the boot.
Will try that now.

If you are experiencing issues, why not post a screenshot of what the KP is for us to check?
It's always exactly the same. Check page 2, message 12 (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/cant-update-from-big-sur-to-monterey.314236/post-2262265)

try disabling VoodooPS2 and I2C
I used Shinji3rd EFI2 folder, enabled tscadjustreset (because you disabled both cputscsync and tscadjustreset and I can't boot without one of those), disabled all the voodoo kexts (ps2 and i2c). Same problem as always.

try using this config.plist.
make sure sip is ENABLED during install csr-00000000.
I used your config.plist with my EFI folder. SIP is enabled. Same problem. :(
NOTE: I also tried adding xhciunsupported.kext. No change.

I don't use any of those, as I'm using the DW1560 instead of an Intel wifi/bt.

I saw it in the EFI you sent. I'm keeping it like that.

Will try that now.

It's always exactly the same. Check page 2, message 12 (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/cant-update-from-big-sur-to-monterey.314236/post-2262265)
Okay I've had a look again at your EFI. Seems you didn't implement USB! No wonder it wasn't booting.
You had no USBInjectAll, SSDT-UIAC nor USBMap alternative set up. So I have added in the USBInjectAll and enabled XHCIPortLimit for you. Plus a few other ACPI settings. Try the ACPI settings I've set up with this new EFI.

Attachments

• Shinji3rd EFI 3.zip
    12.3 MB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back