Radeon 4890
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey Guys,

After getting my hackintosh all set up to the point where I leave it on for more than a day, I have been getting some issues with finder.

Once a day religiously, the finder will randomly crash. The computer will look normal, but if I try to open or close anything I get a spinning wheel of death. When I right click Finder it say "Not Responding." I usually have to hard reboot and everything goes back to normal.....until the next crash.

The one time I actually was able to get the computer to try and relaunch finder, I kept getting an error (I think it was -10810 or something) the said I couldn't open finder.

If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this please let me know. For the time being I am just going to have to shut down my computer when I am not physically on it.

Thanks!

~ Midsyde

Here are my specs:

Motherboard - EVGA P55V
Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB DDR2
Processor - Intel Core i7 860
RAM - OCZ Technology 4GB DDR3
OS - Mac OSX 10.6.4 installed using iBoot and MultiBeast with original Mac OSX upgrade disc

Re: Finder Crash

Hi Mate

My hackintosh is a P55M-UD2, 10.6.4 BADASS machine. The only thing that bugs me is I get Finder crashes too. Everything else is flawless including a 2008 Mac Pro wireless card I have installed. And its in a G5 case :cool:

Anyways my machine doesn't suffer the crashes sporadically like yours, in fact it will run fine for days at a time. However I can reproduce the crash any time by simply leaving a DVD or CD in the disc drive for longer than 15 minutes.

I can put a disc in and read it, use it for whatever, even rip dvds as long as I still access it and keep the drive spinning. I use RipIt to automate a lot of my dvd ripping. (I use the machine as a Plex box to hold films and tv series connected to my TV). RipIt obligingly spits out any discs when it has finished ripping them. However if I am out of the room when it finishes after a while it will suck the disc back in and it will re-mount and sit there (everything fine at this point). However if i don't return to the room pronto and eject the disc after a while Finder seems to *forget* the existence of my dvd drive. If i then attempt to eject the disc (either on desktop, with the eject button in menubar, or from within an app like RipIt) Finder will freeze. I can then Force quit Finder BUT I can NEVER reboot finder because I get the same error you do.

I then have to hard reboot.

I've researched this to a limited extent and I know that the same error is sometimes suffered on real Macs. I believe in my case it might be because the Samsung dvd drive is not playing nicely with OS X, in the future I aim to get a Pioneer.

Thanks for your reply!

After reading what you've posted I think that there has to be an application, external hard drive, or piece of hardware that is causing the crash for whatever reason.

Since I have 3 external hard drives plugged in, I am going to start there.

If anyone knows of a way to prevent that error please let us know!

Thanks!

~ Midsyde

Midsyde said:
RAM - OCZ Technology 4GB DDR3
Try underclocking your RAM to 1065 MHz. I had random freezes and errant Finder behavior with my OCZ RAM at 1600 MHz. I would also run Memtest86+ and Prime95 per MacMan's recommendation to verify that your RAM is working properly.

It could be that you have Put The Hard Drives To Sleep When Possible in System Preferences / Energy Saver. If so, you may get the occasional beachball :beachball: when trying to access the drive via Finder.

Scimitar - Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into the RAM, although I don't think that's the issue.

Tonymacx86 - I do not have "Put The Hard Drives To Sleep When Possible" on. I never use anything sleep related (even on my once living Mac). Nothing in the Energy Saver section is on. The only thing I use is a screen saver. If I want my screen to go black I just turn it off.

Thanks for the input guys!

~ Midsyde

So I think this may be the cause, although I am not sure how to interpret it. My computer has crashed twice this week. The second time I grabbed this from the Console. As soon as I typed my password in to access the computer and come out of screen saver, this code showed up.

Thanks Guys!

~ Midsyde

I am going to leave my computer and and check the console again after a crash to see if this is in fact the same coding I get after every crash.

Attachments

• Crash.jpg
    Crash.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 395

Update:

I ran the RAM test and everything passed. I don't think RAM has anything to do with the issue.

But tonight my computer crashed again (exactly 2 days later) and I looked the Console errors again. They appear to be the same each time. I attached it to this post. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

~ Midsyde

Attachments

• Crash2.jpg
    Crash2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 369

Midsyde said:
Update:

I ran the RAM test and everything passed. I don't think RAM has anything to do with the issue.

But tonight my computer crashed again (exactly 2 days later) and I looked the Console errors again. They appear to be the same each time. I attached it to this post. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

~ Midsyde
It's the Fast Track Pro

During the second crash the Fast Track Pro was off (I had a feeling it might be the cause). Must be an issue with the driver??

If so I will see if there is a different driver I can try that may play nicer.

Thanks MacMan!

~ Midsyde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back