Contribute
Register

[Solved] Sierra no longer booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had a working Sierra build with an old nvidia GPU (One in the 600 series) and I decided to upgrade to a 750ti for triple monitor support. I replaced the old card and the PC would not get past the bios splash screen with it installed so I tried the following:
Unplugging all external devices except the keyboard, move the ram stick to the second slot and back again, starting without a hard drive attatched and reseting the bios by removing the battery and replacing it.
None of that worked so after a Google search I found that I needed to upgrade the bios but to do that the PC needed to boot so I unplugged the new GPU and used integrated graphics to set the bios back to normal and plugged everything back in. This let me get to clover and I used nv_disable=1 to boot but halfway through I get a circle with a line through so I put the old GPU back in and set clover back up but I get the same result even in safe mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated since this PC has my GCSE coursework on it.

@Jsprling, please update your profile (personal details) with your build (Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

IMG_5757.JPG
@Jsprling, please update your profile (personal details) with your build (Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card).
Ok I have updated my profile, I managed to update my BIOS to the latest version successfully via a USB flash drive. The problem now is that whenever I start my computer I get an almost immediate kernel panic wether I use my old gpu or the new one. I attached a photo of the screen I get.

Last edited:
IMG_5759.JPG
Try the solution from the Can't perform kext scan: no kext summary topic.

If you use only one stick of RAM try moving it to a different slot.
Ok great thanks swapping the ram fixed the kernel panic but now I get a circle with a line through halfway through boot. I attached a screenshot of what it shows when using safe + verbose mode (it's not just my camera the text is actually all messed up.)

View attachment 233524
Ok great thanks swapping the ram fixed the kernel panic but now I get a circle with a line through halfway through boot. I attached a screenshot of what it shows when using safe + verbose mode (it's not just my camera the text is actually all messed up.)
Actually nevermind I fixed that and it's working fine except that the HDMI outputs on my gpu (750ti) dont output any video or get detected in macos so I have to use dvi and can't run triple monitors. Any solutions or should I start a new thread?

Actually nevermind I fixed that and it's working fine except that the HDMI outputs on my gpu (750ti) dont output any video or get detected in macos so I have to use dvi and can't run triple monitors. Any solutions or should I start a new thread?

Check the Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti (HDMI Not Working) topic for possible solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back