i3
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So after reading and procrastinating for the past months im ready to build my first Hackintosh. Its mostly just to get through till the end of my study in over a year and a half where I will be editing alot of HD footage. Ive tried to keep the budget down around 650 euros though i am willing to go further if need be. Still some room for movement over the cpu and mobo. It will basically just be used for Final Cut Pro X and AE work, no dual boot and no gaming etc... at all. What is important for me really is that the USB 3 ports function fully as 3.0, so with that in mind...

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz (Found it too hard to stretch the budget to a i7 though im open to it if i could really be convinced and i thought the K version would give me the option to overclock a bit later)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H iZ77 (I would of liked the UP5 TH for the thunderbolt options but again trying to keep within a budget but still have a good mobo. From all reports it seems like a good board where many have been able to get the USB 3.0 ports fully functioning) Any remarks here?

Graphics: None at the moment. I have read a few good reports that the HD4000 is quite suitable for final cut pro x etc... and i figure i could later throw in a GPU if its needed. Plus i do have a radeon 6870 in my PC that doesnt really get utilised. Any advice here?

SSD: SanDisk SSD 2.5", 120GB

RAM: Corsair 1x8GB, DDR3, PC12800

HD: Seagate Harddisk 3.5" 1TB, SATA600

Case: i was just thinking a simple Corsair Carbide 300R but If i could save here i would too.

PSU: Corsair 80Plus Bronze 600W I thought this seems quite ample for what i want

Wifi: TP-Link PCI-e Adapter TL-WDN4800

Can anyone see any obvious problem areas? or If anyone has any remarks or advice id love to hear it. Thanks!

Graphics:

Specifically for FCPX work, a lot of sources online recommend the GTX 570 series of boards.

Graphics:

Specifically for FCPX work, a lot of sources online recommend the GTX 570 series of boards.

dont tell him to get the gtx 570, is there support for it yet? last time i checked there wasn't, and everytime i ask the question no one replies...so dude dont get the gtx 570 unless it works get a gtx 6xx and the cuda diffrence is tiny between 5xx and 6xx you wouldnt even notice.

another thing, do you have another computer? i built a hackintosh for avid, finl cut x, adobe priemere and am regretting not going windows. these computers dont run as smooth as normal macs. I get better benchmarks when i run windows and dont allways get frusterating problems when i just wanna finish a damn project. alot of the dudes on here are pretty deadly with computers. if your good with them and like massive problems then yes build one.

another thing, do you have another computer? i built a hackintosh for avid, finl cut x, adobe priemere and am regretting not going windows. these computers dont run as smooth as normal macs. I get better benchmarks when i run windows and dont allways get frusterating problems when i just wanna finish a damn project. alot of the dudes on here are pretty deadly with computers. if your good with them and like massive problems then yes build one.

Damn, i must admit i was hoping for more positive responses :lol: to reassure myself its the right decision. Ive been doubting and going back and forwards for months whether to get a real Mac or go for the hackintosh and with trying to keep costs down and for its value for money its hard to beat a Hackintosh. I have enough experience and knowledge to build one, im just hoping once its built and running smoothly that it doesnt require too much ``upkeep``. Plus i really need final cut pro x access, I have a PC for all adobe programs, though it would be less powerful.

Damn, i must admit i was hoping for more positive responses :lol: to reassure myself its the right decision. Ive been doubting and going back and forwards for months whether to get a real Mac or go for the hackintosh and with trying to keep costs down and for its value for money its hard to beat a Hackintosh. I have enough experience and knowledge to build one, im just hoping once its built and running smoothly that it doesnt require too much ``upkeep``. Plus i really need final cut pro x access, I have a PC for all adobe programs, though it would be less powerful.

sorry, im really new to building computers. I dont know if there is lots of upkeep but i started building my hackintosh in September and am still having problems getting things going. I also installed unibeast over 50 times, literally, mostly cuse i find multibeast to be such a pain. some people on here are reporting really good results but i cant find answers all the time and its really tough for a nweb to figure it out. if your good with computers and understand all this you should be okey.

I have a gtx680 and i cant get it to work with final cut x anyway, final cut x works with hd4000. maybe it works with the gtx but iuno how to get it to work.

What? Gotta be kidding me. OK, initial setup is harder? Well... have you setup a NEW computer with your WIN7 copy? How many reboots and installs you need to do? How many downloads you need? How many patches, and I don't know what. Takes forever.

The point about having another Hackintosh is a good one. But if you follow the forums, follow the buying guides or customac guides, there is really little that can go wrong. But there is NO guarantee. And when it comes down to it, you can STILL run WIN7 on it later if you want. Risk? Nada!

I am getting a Gigabyte board too, but in the end, with the latest customac updates regarding motherboard revisions 1.1 that incorporate a new Realtek chip (8161 instead of 8151 which is supported), I chose for a mATX board. Now it does have a few slots less, but... how many PCI cards have you stuck in the slots lately? Well? Only a graphics card, in the pci-express slot, and for the rest I can only think of a Wifi/wlan card. Either off the shelve or home made. And then the mATX board is fine. So I went for the GA-B75m board, exact model is in the customac guide. It was cheaper, and really in the end it does what I want it to do and is also fully working as the n/w chip is not a new version yet. Also it has a DisplayPort (model depending...) which I am planning to use.... har har har...

And for a cheaper case, maybe an Enermax Vostro like my first build, or what I ordered now is the Bitfenix Shinobi white. Reasonably priced and the buttons on top inclu USB on top, which makes it a lot easier compared to the Enermax.

I got a ARCTIC Fusion 500W power supply for it, should be ultra quiet. Building it this weekend I hope.

Grtz

See my Thunderball build description; it uses HD4000 Integrated Graphics. If it doesn't work well with HD4000, get a 600 series nVidia graphics card. See tonymacx86 Buyers Guide for 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back