3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I installed El Capitan successfully (on the Asus H97M-PLUS) using the Clover Guide on here and everything seems good except for one thing: about once a week (I think it's every 12 boots - see below) the Mac SSD won't boot. I get the boot screen and apple logo but the progress bar goes all the way to the end and stops.

To get it all working again I have to reinstall Clover. When I reboot I get stuck at the ASUS logo and nothing works at all (can't even get into the BIOS). So then I disconnect the Mac SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) and it reboots into my other SSD running Windows 10 without any problems. After this I switch off and reconnect the Mac SSD. This time I can boot directly into El Capitan until it happens again.

While I was doing this I noticed in the BIOS under Boot Drives that there were at least 10 separate entries listed for the UEFI Mac SSD Partition. There was only one UEFI entry when I first set this up, so I didn't create these multiple entries. I'm wondering if maybe a new entry is being created every time it boots and when the listing reaches (the maximum?) 15 entries it can't create any more and stops booting?

I installed El Capitan successfully (on the Asus H97M-PLUS) using the Clover Guide on here and everything seems good except for one thing: about once a week (I think it's every 12 boots - see below) the Mac SSD won't boot. I get the boot screen and apple logo but the progress bar goes all the way to the end and stops.

To get it all working again I have to reinstall Clover. When I reboot I get stuck at the ASUS logo and nothing works at all (can't even get into the BIOS). So then I disconnect the Mac SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) and it reboots into my other SSD running Windows 10 without any problems. After this I switch off and reconnect the Mac SSD. This time I can boot directly into El Capitan until it happens again.

While I was doing this I noticed in the BIOS under Boot Drives that there were at least 10 separate entries listed for the UEFI Mac SSD Partition. There was only one UEFI entry when I first set this up, so I didn't create these multiple entries. I'm wondering if maybe a new entry is being created every time it boots and when the listing reaches (the maximum?) 15 entries it can't create any more and stops booting?

I've seen several reports about this. The bios appears to create 'ghost' entries in the list and they accumulate. You might need to email technical support at Asus; I've not seen a resolution for it so far.

OK, thanks. I've submitted a tech support request with Asus and will post the outcome.

OK, got a reply from Asus and they recommended that I reset the CMOS and update to the latest BIOS. I did both and I'm having the same problem.

Anything else you think might be worth trying?

The only way to clear the duplicate entries in the BIOS for me is to disconnect the Mac drive and reboot. Then shut down, reconnect the Mac drive and the duplicates are gone, but they start adding up again with each Mac boot.

and here as well by anachronaut...
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...os-boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.html

I've been running down this ghost-in-the-machine for over two years...

anachronaut is running a series9 - I'm running a series7 - same issues... anachronaut's bit of detective work totally rocks...

I was able to get rid of the duplicate entries in the BIOS and so far they haven't reappeared, but now I'm back to having the same boot issues without the duplicate entries. Verbose boot gives different errors (an error about the bluetooth, removed BT, then an error about the USB hub, unplugged and reconnected that, then an error about the NTFS partition, they all work fine once booted).

I've reinstalled all the Clover files to start afresh. It worked fine for a few boots then stopped booting again (tried with only the Mac SSD connected, no difference). So now I can only boot with the USB drive, that has never once failed to boot.

I've got an SSD as the Mac boot drive (with the EFI boot partition), another SSD for Windows 10, and a 500GB HD with 2 partitions (Mac and NTFS) and no EFI any more.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back