Graphics
"Batmobile" Radeon 5770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Just got my new Gigabyte HD 6870, installed it, and BAM! Three monitors in Lion, working out of the box. FINALLY!

Here's the card I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IF ... 01_details

You will need two (2) ACTIVE Mini-DP adapters: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00407 ... 00_details

I have my connections as follows:

Monitor 1: DVI > DVI (the top one on the card)
Monitor 2: DVI > Active Mini DP adapter > Mini DP
Monitor 3: DVI > Active Mini DP adapter > Mini DP

I didn't do anything in Lion after installation. Just booted up with 1 monitor via DVI to make sure I could boot, then once I was at my desktop, connected the 2nd and 3rd ones to the mini DP ports.

Hopefully I'm not tempting fate and this will keep running smoothly. I'll post updates here if anything happens. Good luck!

Can you post exactly what card you are using?

I'm looking to run three monitors off my hack, and i the dell monitors i have do have display ports. If this works OOB, I'd love to just be able to get a card and plug it in and go.

nemix said:
Can you post exactly what card you are using?

I'm looking to run three monitors off my hack, and i the dell monitors i have do have display ports. If this works OOB, I'd love to just be able to get a card and plug it in and go.

Yup, you just need GraphicsEnabler=Yes with 6870s.

I have just got my Sapphire 6870 Flex with three monitors to work. I have 3 LG IPS225V monitors (all at 1920x1080) and connected them as follows:

1 x Dual link DVI (the lower DVI connector) - into monitor 1
2 x MDP with Apple MDP-DVI adapters (Apple says these active adapters) into monitors 2 and 3

Nothing on the HDMI or single link DVI (i.e. upper) connectors. Various combinations of using the DVI and HDMI stopped various other displays from working.

I have the GA Z68XP-UD3 mobo and installed Lion 10.7.3 with Unibeast as per instructions. The only change I made was to boot the OS with GraphicsEnabler=No (I haven't even edited the plist yet: just typed the modification at the boot command line).

Note: the configuration seems quite sensitive to changes (and sequences). I unplugged the DVI and monitor 1 went into no-signal mode. When I plugged it back in, monitor 1 wouldn't come back. I plugged it into the upper DVI instead, which then blanked another MDP-connected monitor. Then I plugged monitor 1's DVI connected back into the lower connector and monitor 1 came back. But now monitor 1 is showing "snow" for 1-2 seconds every minute or so.

I will do some more experiments on rebooting and seeing if it comes back from a clean power-off in a working state.

Quick followup to previous post: I did a clean power-off startup and monitors 1 and 3 are the VGA ones that the BIOS posts to. I booted with GraphicsEnabler=No and it went cleanly into three displays. No sign of "snow" either.

For my next trick I shall attempt to persuade Windows 7 and Debian to work with the same connection arrangement.

More updates.. The display sleep doesn't work properly: monitor 3 doesn't go into sleep and is left on. My workaround is to disable sleep and put a screensaver on instead :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back