Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi again,

i changed the config but still the same problem, after i boot F12 OpenCore and start Install BigSur after the fourth restart the monitor turns black, i tried verbose mode and normal mode, now i see those magenta colored lines on the code or the apple logo screen.

On the first try i had the monitor connected via Display Port after i selected boot from USB Install OSX the monitor turns black on the first attempt. I changed to HDMI and now the install runs without hickups until fourth restart.
Could be a bad cable or the RX580 DP output could be dirty or damaged, could be related to your EFI too

Hi again,

i changed the config but still the same problem, after i boot F12 OpenCore and start Install BigSur after the fourth restart the monitor turns black, i tried verbose mode and normal mode, now i see those magenta colored lines on the code or the apple logo screen.

On the first try i had the monitor connected via Display Port after i selected boot from USB Install OSX the monitor turns black on the first attempt. I changed to HDMI and now the install runs without hickups until fourth restart.
Hi remember experiencing a similar problem many moons ago. I don't remember how the problem eventually went away, but here are some things to try:
  • Perform CMOS Reset then configure BIOS parameters
    • CMOS Reset is easy to do:
      • Shutdown the system
      • Flip power switch on PSU to OFF
      • Use a flathead screwdriver to short the two CMOS Reset pins on motherboard (refer to manual)
      • Flip PSU switch ON
      • Power on the system then configure BIOS parameters (do not omit this)
  • Then try installing macOS again
  • If the same problem occurs, we can then switch to Intel HDMI or DisplayPort on the rear IO panel
    • I can provide guidelines for this when we get to this point

Hi remember experiencing a similar problem many moons ago. I don't remember how the problem eventually went away, but here are some things to try:
  • Perform CMOS Reset then configure BIOS parameters
    • CMOS Reset is easy to do:
      • Shutdown the system
      • Flip power switch on PSU to OFF
      • Use a flathead screwdriver to short the two CMOS Reset pins on motherboard (refer to manual)
      • Flip PSU switch ON
      • Power on the system then configure BIOS parameters (do not omit this)
  • Then try installing macOS again
  • If the same problem occurs, we can then switch to Intel HDMI or DisplayPort on the rear IO panel
    • I can provide guidelines for this when we get to this point
OK. I'll try, when I more time to do it. Could the CMOS Rest affect my resent system?

Is it possible to use (4x32GB) RAM efficiently? My recent setup G.Skill TridentZ 32GB RGB Memory (4 x 8GB) Dual Channel DDR4 3200 Mhz

Last edited:
After successfully installing MacOS Monterey 12.6.9 and MacOS Ventura 13.5.2 on a WD SN750 500GB with the Z390 Designare, the motherboard has been put back in my main machine.

I have also taken a Kingston A2000 containing Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15.7 installations and installed it on the Designare. Booting Mojave and Catalina requires setting SecurityBootModel to Disabled rather than Default (otherwise there will be boot errors, I don't remember exactly but apparently is related to "Security Violation").

Updating Monterey and Ventura requires setting SecurityBootModel to Default. After that I was able to update to Monterey 12.7.3 and Ventura 13.6.4 successfully using Software Update.

So now I am able to run MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina 10.15.7 / Monterey 12.7.3 / Ventura 13.6.4 all using OpenCore 0.9.2 as bootloader on the Designare. I will also reinstall VMware Fusion 11.5.3 on Mojave for my Windows virtual machines. I am not going to install Sonoma as I don't need anything that requires the new OS.

I will also reinstall VMware Fusion 11.5.3 on Mojave for my Windows virtual machines. I am not going to install Sonoma as I don't need anything that requires the new OS.
Please educate me:
Why would you have Windows run through VMware Fusion as opposed to just straight-up booting Windows?

Please educate me:
Why would you have Windows run through VMware Fusion as opposed to just straight-up booting Windows?
There are other versions of Windows besides Windows 10 (and Windows 8.1 and Windows 7) and the rubbish Windows 11 that I hope I never have to deal with.

I want to be able to run and access older Windows systems like Windows XP and Windows 98 SE, and test for all kinds of things in old and current Windows systems. Virtual machines are the best tools for these purposes for me. One of my hobbies is really old games which in many cases won't even run at all in modern Windows. (I have no interest in modern games.) I also test run Windows 11 (in unsupported configurations) using virtual machines to have a first hand experience which is how I concluded that I would rather stay away from it for as long as possible.

Using virtual machines also means that I can have access to the host OS (which can be Windows or MacOS) and the guest OS (which in my case is mostly Windows but can also be Linux (or even MacOS when using VMware Fusion)) at the same time without rebooting. I can also run multiple guest OSs at the same time if I want to as my machines have sufficient RAM to allow for this.

These virtual machines have been built up over the years using VMware Workstation and VMware Fusion. Keeping access to these virtual machines is very important for me, and it is one of the reasons I am staying away from Apple Silicon so far.

Last edited:
After successfully installing MacOS Monterey 12.6.9 and MacOS Ventura 13.5.2 on a WD SN750 500GB with the Z390 Designare, the motherboard has been put back in my main machine.

I have also taken a Kingston A2000 containing Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15.7 installations and installed it on the Designare. Booting Mojave and Catalina requires setting SecurityBootModel to Disabled rather than Default (otherwise there will be boot errors, I don't remember exactly but apparently is related to "Security Violation").

Updating Monterey and Ventura requires setting SecurityBootModel to Default. After that I was able to update to Monterey 12.7.3 and Ventura 13.6.4 successfully using Software Update.

So now I am able to run MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina 10.15.7 / Monterey 12.7.3 / Ventura 13.6.4 all using OpenCore 0.9.2 as bootloader on the Designare. I will also reinstall VMware Fusion 11.5.3 on Mojave for my Windows virtual machines. I am not going to install Sonoma as I don't need anything that requires the new OS.
I took an old Intel 535 SATA SSD containing High Sierra 10.13.6 and tried to boot it via the same configuration as Mojave and Catalina under OpenCore 0.9.2 and succeeded. I also enabled the SATA I/O Error Fix patch (and of course enabled Hot Plug for the corresponding SATA port) and I can now access hard disks via the hard disk cage installed in my case under High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina.

So now I am able to run MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina 10.15.7 / Monterey 12.7.3 / Ventura 13.6.4 (SMBIOS iMacPro1,1) all using OpenCore 0.9.2 as bootloader on the Designare. I can continue to run VMware Fusion 11.5.3 on High Sierra (which was installed previously) for my Windows virtual machines.

The SATA SSD also contains a Sierra 10.12.6 installation but when I attempted to boot it via OpenCore it gave me a prohibited symbol (but I can still boot Sierra by using a USB stick with the old Clover 4428). Will continue to investigate when I have time.

Update : As I suspected, Sierra 10.12.6 failed to boot via OpenCore because I used iMacPro1,1 which is not supported by Sierra (but strangely it still works if I boot using old Clover 4428). I changed the SMBIOS to iMac18,3 and Sierra boots successfully with OpenCore 0.9.2.

Last edited:
** WARNING: macOS Sonoma 14.4 **

If you plan to install the Sonoma 14.4 public beta, please make a full bootable backup first. This version of macOS has been very troublesome in my experience, as follows:
  • Designare Z390 -- installation completes, but system crashes and reboots after login screen
  • Asus Z690 ROG STRIX mini-ITX -- installation fails and returns to 14.3
  • Asus X670E Gene (AMD Ryzen) -- installation fails and returns to 14.3

UPDATE:
Thanks to this post by @AmigaOS, we can install 14.4 after doing this:
  • Set SecureBootModel to Disabled (not default)
  • Disable all WiFi kexts if any
  • Disable all Bluetooth kexts if any
When installation is done we can re-enable SecureBootModel and the kexts, but AirportItlwm should remain disabled until a patch or new version is released!
I managed to install Sonoma 14.4 using the inter drivers found here:Intel wireless I know that they are an Alpha release, but for now they don't freeze my hackintosh.

Pro Audio people who rely on iLok, stay away also from Sonoma 14.4

I managed to install Sonoma 14.4 using the inter drivers found here:Intel wireless I know that they are an Alpha release, but for now they don't freeze my hackintosh.

My system keep crashes also with 2.3.0 version. No Wi-FI for now.

Back