Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 2/3, USB3, USB-C compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GB Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
Graphics
ATI 580rx
Mac
  1. iMac
How is support for Thunderbolt 2, Thunderbolt 3, USB3, and USB-C now?

I had a Hackintosh back in 2012, and at the time, firewire was troublesome, and I remember later on reading about problems with Thunderbolt. I was never sure if USB3 ever got sorted either.

How is support for Thunderbolt 2, Thunderbolt 3, USB3, and USB-C now?

I had a Hackintosh back in 2012, and at the time, firewire was troublesome, and I remember later on reading about problems with Thunderbolt. I was never sure if USB3 ever got sorted either.

Thunderbolt 2/3:
There has been a few people who have gotten Thunderbolt to work with hot plug, but for most, getting devices recognized still requires them to be plugged in at boot. I also read that NICs over Thunderbolt don't work right on hacks. Overall, I would say Thunderbolt on hacks is still kind of kludgy.

USB3:
USB3 (aka USB 3.1 gen 1) works very well assuming it is configured correctly. The biggest hurdle is the 15 port limit in macOS, but if you reduce your total port count to 15 or less, I am unaware of any issues.

USB-C:
USB-C is just a port. As long as you have USB2/USB3 working right, they can be in any port type. Whether it's USB A, B, or C shouldn't matter. You should follow the guide for USB power propery injection so that the USB ports are able to charge high power devices such as iPads.

Firewire:
Firewire works well as long as you use a Firewire PCI-e card with known good chipset. I believe the TI chipset is most desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back