Contribute
Register

[UPDATED] lxLifestream's P8Z68 Deluxe - i7-2600K - XFX 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: lxLifestream's P8Z68 Deluxe - i7-2600K - Radeon HD 6870

lxlifestream said:
xwing said:
Hi lxlifestream, I've got nearly the same build (except for Power supply and graphics card is a GTX 580), but for some unknown reason the Snow Leopard DVD refuses to move beyond the loading phase.

I've installed the Mac OS X-friendly bios from here -
http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=49340

thereafter tried a bunch of different boot flags with iBoot 3.2.0
-x
PCIRootUID=0 and PCIRootUID=1
darkwake=0
npci=0x2000

and combinations thereof, but always craps out on me and keeps getting stuck during boot after the console shows the following text (in many cases):
warning couldn't set recording source to microphone

Is there anything specific I should be doing that I'm probably not doing, from your note it sounds like you didn't have to mess around with anything.

Is that the last thing it says? Do me a favor, load it up, wait a good couple minutes, then take a picture and post it. I can help :)
It could always be your graphics card, i don't think OS X supports the 580 OOB, but nvidia just came out with new drivers to support the 580.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51853

Download link is in that thread.

Also... What did you install using multibeast for audio? You have the same Mobo right?
You should have only installed the ALC889, no voodoo or anything.
I've added the picture of the failure. The part where it gets cut off says something like:
Code:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0×27a979): “pmap_steal_memory”@/sourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/osfmk/vm/vm_resident.c:744

Hacktosh_error.png

Attachments

• Hacktosh_error.png
    Hacktosh_error.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 415

xwing said:
lxlifestream said:
xwing said:
Hi lxlifestream, I've got nearly the same build (except for Power supply and graphics card is a GTX 580), but for some unknown reason the Snow Leopard DVD refuses to move beyond the loading phase.

I've installed the Mac OS X-friendly bios from here -
http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=49340

thereafter tried a bunch of different boot flags with iBoot 3.2.0
-x
PCIRootUID=0 and PCIRootUID=1
darkwake=0
npci=0x2000

and combinations thereof, but always craps out on me and keeps getting stuck during boot after the console shows the following text (in many cases):
warning couldn't set recording source to microphone

Is there anything specific I should be doing that I'm probably not doing, from your note it sounds like you didn't have to mess around with anything.

Is that the last thing it says? Do me a favor, load it up, wait a good couple minutes, then take a picture and post it. I can help :)
It could always be your graphics card, i don't think OS X supports the 580 OOB, but nvidia just came out with new drivers to support the 580.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51853

Download link is in that thread.

Also... What did you install using multibeast for audio? You have the same Mobo right?
You should have only installed the ALC889, no voodoo or anything.
I've added the picture of the failure. The part where it gets cut off says something like:
Code:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0×27a979): “pmap_steal_memory”@/sourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/osfmk/vm/vm_resident.c:744

Hacktosh_error.png

Wait, what are you using exactly to boot?
Are you using iboot or what?
Tell me step by step what you did, and what board do you have?

Wait, what are you using exactly to boot?
Are you using iboot or what?
Tell me step by step what you did, and what board do you have?

Ok I'll try and summarize step by step -
1/ The System
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/5oyr

2/ Boot method
I am using iBoot 3.2.0 - recommended for 10.6.x (which is what I am trying)

3/ The BIOS
I am using the BIOS from here - for P8Z68 Deluxe 1155 socket
http://bios4asus.blogspot.in/2012/02/how-to-use_08.html
Haven't messed around with the BIOS settings - all stock frequencies, SMART enabled in bios, etc.

4/ The Process
  • Start System
    Insert iBoot 3.2.0 CD
    At the optical drive selection screen, eject iBoot and insert SL retail DVD
    Hit F5 (refresh the optical media list)
    Try boot flags PCIRootUID=0/1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No; Always -x (safe mode)
    I have also tried other flags like darkwake=0 and npci=0x2000
    Select Mac OS X SL entry/hit Enter
    Wait for the scrolling text as it goes through safe mode boot up
    This is the point at which I get the error referenced in my earlier post (see screenshot)

Thus I never get to the install MAC OS X screen. Maybe I'm screwing up maybe its my hardware, can't tell at this point.

Trying using rBoot instead.
I know iBoot worked for me, but i don't have a nvidia card either.
And rBoot i think has a more recent version of chimera, due to it being updated for use with 10.7.x as well.

Let me know how that works for you.

Your build caught my attention right away because I've long used Asus boards in my Windows and Unix (FreeBSD) builds and have been impressed with their reliability... and why switch horses. Of course Hackintosh is all about limiting choices to what is known to work and work well so I was prepared to go Gigabyte but am glad to see some Asus products as viable options.

I'm new to Hackintosh'in but not a new system builder... I have decades of PC and Unix experience but have some learnin' to do here as I jump into this - mostly learning the terminology and popular lingo. Can I ask a couple of newbie questions relating to your build?

• First, I note you've specified your MB isn't the Gen 3 version of the P8Z68 Deluxe; is there any specific reason for this other than you may have already owned it? My usual supplier has only the Gen 3 version in stock - can I go ahead with it? Any issues I should be aware of?
    [/*:m:2v0xwvgv]
  • Related to the first question, is there any reason why I shouldn't go for a P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 as opposed to the Deluxe? I'm not sure what I'm missing and wonder if you'd looked at the differences before going ahead with your build.
    [/*:m:2v0xwvgv]
  • Last, I see the Sony Optiarc specified frequently; my supplier doesn't have the 24x version in stock - are drives (Optical or HDD) finicky to get working on a Hackintosh or should I be able to use any modern good quality product? Any preferences I can look at other than the Optiarc?[/*:m:2v0xwvgv]

My objective is a powerful, stable, desktop that will be used for every day work and will also need to run Windows (virtualbox or whatever) to access two applications that aren't available on OS/X. Possibly the most demanding thing I'll be doing on it will be photo editing / raw file conversion, but I might also make it do some backup file service for the home lan. I'll probably go for either a i5 2500k or i7 2700k CPU and 16GB of ram. I like to build a pretty decent box and assume it'll be useful for 3 years plus in some form or another... a little longer these days it seems.

Thanks again for documenting your build, very helpful!

Mike
Vancouver BC

Looking deeper at this, I'm going to probably do a Gordo or Stork build provided the GA board I'm looking at can drive both the DisplayPort and DVI outputs.

On Windows I can drive two monitors off the integrated graphics but on OS/X the VGA port isn't supported from what I can tell; my two Dell 2412M monitors offer a DVI and DisplayPort but the Asus board has no DisplayPort IO. As I'm not planning on putting a graphics card in this box right away (eventually may migrate one from the kids game machine to this box, a GTX460 if I remember correctly) I think I'll go with a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 build instead, breaking a long string of Asus only builds.

If not... I'm coming back here with my tail between my legs!

Well... not sure what encrypted secret voodoo spell I'm not chanting while doing this, because I have nearly the same setup and can't get it to work. I'm on my 6th attempt to get back into the install and about ready to throw the whole thing into the forest.

2600k, Asus P8Z68-V Gen3, 1 4gb stick ram (for now), no vid card for now, nothing else...

I install with iboot, and retail SL dvd fine. I install the update, and before rebooting/shutting down install Multibeast. I've tried with the same settings as the OP, modified settings from other posters, and even the DSDT for my motherboard... No matter what I do I can't get back into the install. I can't even see what it's not liking since it just gives me a blank screen when I try to run safe mode verbose....

well, after pulling an all-nighter I can get into my OSX install.... but only when using iboot. I can get into it via iboot without any flags. However, with the regular bootloader I can't get into it regardless if I use safe boot or not. It gets stuck on a message about initializing pci. I will try using some of the other flags mentioned regarding PCI.
I'm also quite disappointed in how no one seems to have a good solution for the on board HD 3000 graphics. I think it would be almost easier installing with the 560ti 448.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back