Contribute
Register

[Updated] wildwillow's Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-OC - i7-4770K - HD4600+GT 640

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello wildwillow,

thank you very much for your advise.

I removed the kexts and the system disk remained on full speed. I am not sure what was going on there,
I suspect it was the TRIM.

I started reading into SSDT creation and will try it on the overclock at a later stage.

The BooterConfig=28 CsrActiveConfig=0x67 settings have no effect on the system when on 10.11.4. The SIP remains on:
SIP.jpg

I found the tip from post 9, but did not dig enough into the invisible folders. It works now.
Thank you very much!

An esthetic question:

During boot, I see a distorted apple logo with a loading bar, that changes later on into just the bar, but undistorted in the proper resolution of the system (2560x1440).
Is there a way to display the resolution correctly from the beginning, or is that not possible due to lack of loaded graphics drivers at that point?
I have set the resolution in GUI to 2560x1440.

I am very happy for the switch. Everything feels a bit faster, with all re-installed.

:beachball:

Attachments

• SIP.tiff
    75.3 KB · Views: 122
The BooterConfig=28 CsrActiveConfig=0x67 settings have no effect on the system when on 10.11.4. The SIP remains on:
View attachment 185227

Hey ColdCross, Take a look here for Explaining OS X El Capitan Security Changes - Workarounds and ... This may help you with installing XtraFinder. SIP should be disabled with CsrActiveConfig=0x67
as seen by this screen shot. If this doesn't help suggest using google to help you with XtraFinder.
CsrActiveConfig.png

During boot, I see a distorted apple logo with a loading bar, that changes later on into just the bar, but undistorted in the proper resolution of the system (2560x1440).
Is there a way to display the resolution correctly from the beginning, or is that not possible due to lack of loaded graphics drivers at that point?
I have set the resolution in GUI to 2560x1440.

I am very happy for the switch. Everything feels a bit faster, with all re-installed.

:beachball:

Give this a try, [Fix] Resolve boot screen garble documented by RehabMan, credit : lisai9093, cecekpawon.

Hey WW been awhile!

This build guide was awesome as was your help along the way in helping me build my system. Mine is pretty much identical to yours but I'm still on the Mavericks OS and I see there is an update in the store for El Capitan. I was wondering if there would be any problem updating to that OS...Would it cause things to not work or worse not boot up after?

Also before I did upgrade I wanted to make sure I could do a backup so that if something did go wrong I could just restore back to Mavericks. I know that to get into time machine that you are supposed to be able to hold command + R while booting and it should let you pick a restore point to go back. When I do this it just boots normally into the OS. Is it not possible to get in and do a recovery because of the software that we use to boot the OS or is there something that I'm missing?

Thanks for any help!

Hey WW been awhile!

This build guide was awesome as was your help along the way in helping me build my system. Mine is pretty much identical to yours but I'm still on the Mavericks OS and I see there is an update in the store for El Capitan. I was wondering if there would be any problem updating to that OS...Would it cause things to not work or worse not boot up after?

Hey Jeffro64, it has been a while.
A few things have changed since OS X Mavericks. First, Chimera hasn't been introduced for OS X El Capitan. So a boot loader move to Clover will be necessary. The tools that you were familiar with are still here, i.e, UniBeast and MultiBeast. They work in the same way but instead of installing Chimera its Clover, writing to a config.plist not org.chameleon.Boot.plist.
It will not be possible for you to upgrade straight to El Capitan with your current configuration, steps are required. A time machine backup or a clone of your existing installation drive will be best. Using your installer you'll be able to use the Recovery from Time Machine. I'd do a lot of testing making sure you're familiar at getting your system back up and running with these methods.

My advice would be to get yourself another installation drive. This way you can install a fresh application of OS X El Capitan (10.11 Installation ) and then migrate your User folder and Apps only, do not move all files over as it will bring all of your MultiBeast /S/L/E kexts with it and cause problems, more likely not even boot. This way you can then access all your folders and choose what you need from it. It is possible to install over Mavericks with Chimera and replace it with El Capitan with Clover, you'll need to do some reading and manual deletion of kexts and this will prevent your installation drive of Mavericks to boot.
See here http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-backup-and-remove-chimera-and-any-related-files.174317/

Also before I did upgrade I wanted to make sure I could do a backup so that if something did go wrong I could just restore back to Mavericks. I know that to get into time machine that you are supposed to be able to hold command + R while booting and it should let you pick a restore point to go back. When I do this it just boots normally into the OS. Is it not possible to get in and do a recovery because of the software that we use to boot the OS or is there something that I'm missing?

Thanks for any help!

You'll be able boot to the recovery partition with Clover. There is no recovery partition created when we were using Chimera. A few things to read considering file system changes. System Integrity Protection (SIP) has been added to protect system files/drivers.
Explaining OS X El Capitan Security Changes - Workarounds and ...
The The Basics forum explains a lot about the config.plist used by Clover.
Your 770 will work without any extra steps. Newer and even some older cards require the alternative web drivers supplied by Nvidia and updated with each release of OS X .1/2/3/4/5.

USB has changed in El Capitan too. [Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions | tonymacx86.com
Post#1058 has the MultiBeast steps to get our USB chipset working. Hope this helps and it should cover mostly what you'll need. I know there are a lot of changes, but really there isn't. At this stage the majority of the work is done and has been implemented into Clover and of course UniBeast and MultiBeast.

Thanks for that info WW!

Sounds like just installing on a fresh drive will be the way to go. I'll give it a go when I get back from work at the end of May and have time to read up on it. I think that I put the 660 Ti back in this machine and moved my 770 over to my newer Windows build but I'll check on that.

How about getting sound and HDMI working? I remember I had to jump through a few hoops to get those working right..Will it be the same process or has that been taken care of also with Clover, UniBeast and MultiBeast? The HDMI problem seems like it was getting full 1080p resolution if I remember..But I've slept since then LOL.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info WW!

Sounds like just installing on a fresh drive will be the way to go. I'll give it a go when I get back from work at the end of May and have time to read up on it.

How about getting sound and HDMI working? I remember I had to jump through a few hoops to get those working right..Will it be the same process or has that been taken care of also with Clover, UniBeast and MultiBeast?
You're welcome jeffro64.
You can leave the hoops in the garage. It won't be problem to get sound and HDMI audio working. toleda has released CloverHDMI which is a brilliant script that will detect your codec and install the relevant SSDT to your EFI partition, there is also CloverALC which is a separate script for onboard audio, this is also part of MultiBeast for El Capitan or standalone.
No need to re-install audio each update now. For HDMI audio there might be a connector edit involved but this can be done with Clover. It's called "Patching on the Fly", which means its done at boot time and no need to edit native kexts keeping the system kexts vanilla.
When you are back from work I'll help you get your system up and running with El Capitan.

You're welcome jeffro64.
You can leave the hoops in the garage. It won't be problem to get sound and HDMI audio working. toleda has released CloverHDMI which is a brilliant script that will detect your codec and install the relevant SSDT to your EFI partition, there is also CloverALC which is a separate script for onboard audio, this is also part of MultiBeast for El Capitan or standalone.
No need to re-install audio each update now. For HDMI audio there might be a connector edit involved but this can be done with Clover. It's called "Patching on the Fly", which means its done at boot time and no need to edit native kexts keeping the system kexts vanilla.
When you are back from work I'll help you get your system up and running with El Capitan.

Awesome thanks again bud!!

I updated to 10.11.5 from within the App Store, no issues.

Thank you wildwillow for providing me with your working EFI folder to ease the switch to Clover Bootloader and also for your continuing support of the system on this post. One could not wish for more.

I updated to 10.11.5 from within the App Store, no issues.

Thank you wildwillow for providing me with your working EFI folder to ease the switch to Clover Bootloader and also for your continuing support of the system on this post. One could not wish for more.
No problem ColdCross and you're welcome, we'll soon have a new OS to get running on the Z87X-OC. I'll be installing it on this system when it is publicly released.

Just to make sure, is this the upgrade from Yosemite and not a fresh install?

My build is the same as wildwillow and I absolutely love the build and have had zero problems.
GA-Z87X-OC
i7-4770K
HD4600
16GB ram

thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back