Contribute
Register

Vanilla Kernel and 10.6.7 with GA-P67A-UD5-B3 <GUIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
Q6400
Graphics
Nvidia > Need model name > See Forum Rules!
This is an old guide... it worked for the moment... there are now faster ways to do the same thing. This is a summary of what I do now:

----------------------------< New Summary of Install>-------------------------------------

Iboot 3.0.2 to Clean install 10.6.3
Update 10.6.7
Install Bridge Helper 2.1.0 (gets kernel 10.7.3)
Install Multibeast (UserDSDT... using new DSDT-GA-P67a-UD5-B3-F3 from the dsdt database)
Pacifist extract from Imac update mach_kernel, AppleAHCIPort.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext (gets kernel 10.7.4)
Install what you extracted
Reboot

-------------------------------------------------------------< OLD GUIDE >-------------------

Well I got a successful 10.6.7 install on a P67-UD5-B3

How to do it:

1) Get 10.6.6 working with the normal method Iboot, Multibeast 3.3, and BridgeHelper legacy
2) Install 10.6.7 Combo Update (normal version not MPB, Don't REBOOT)
3) Before reboot... Delete old /Extra/Extensions/*.Kext and /Extra/Extensions/Extensions.mkext
4) DSDT Auto Patcher, select Gigabyte GA-P67-UD5 (doesn't matter its not B3) this will leave a dsdt.aml on the desktop
5)MultiBeast 3.4 Select the Following
-User DSDT Install
-System Utilities - Rebuild Caches
-System Utilities - Repair Permisions
-Drivers & Bootloaders - Kexts & Enablers - Audio - Realtek ALC8xx - ALC8xxHDA
-Drivers & Bootloaders - Kexts & Enablers - Audio - Realtek ALC8xx - AppleHDA RollBack
-Drivers & Bootloaders - Kexts & Enablers - Audio - Realtek ALC8xx - Non-DSDT HDA Enabler - ALC889 (make sure only this one)
-Drivers & Bootloaders - Kexts & Enablers - Disk - IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
-Drivers & Bootloaders - Kexts & Enablers - Miscellaneous - FakeSMC
-Drivers & Bootloaders - Kexts & Enablers - Miscellaneous - IOUSBFamilyRollback
-Drivers & Bootloaders - Kexts & Enablers - Miscellaneous - NullCPUPowerManagement
-Drivers & Bootloaders - Kexts & Enablers - Miscellaneous - USB 3.0 - NEC/Renesas
-Drivers & Bootloaders - Kexts & Enablers - Network - Lnx2Mac RealtekRTL81x
-Drivers & Bootloaders - Bootloaders - Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - Sandy Bridge
6) Now reboot
7) Boot with iBoot CD
8) Install BridgeHelper 10.6.6 (old version - legacy kernel)
9) Edit the following in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386 busratio=29 PCIRootUID=1 -force64 -v</string>
10) Reboot without iBoot CD... you will be booting to 10.6.7 but using legacy 10.6.6 kernel
11) Install BrigeHelper 10.7.3 (new version - vanilla kernel)
12) Edit the following in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>PCIRootUID=1 -v</string>
13) Multibeast 3.4 select the following
- Customization - System Definitions - Macbook Pro
14) Edit the following in /Extra/smbios.plist (change 8,1 to 8,3)
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,3</string>
15) Reboot
16) Enter Bios Make sure your multiplier in bios is set UNDER 32x
17) Reboot
18) If you did everything right you should have a fully working 10.6.7 vanilla kernel setup.

I get 10097 points on Geekbench on 32x multiplier. I get 12722 points if I increase the turboboost to 43x. Notice, I still set Multiplier to 32, but turboboot ENABLED (not auto) and all the cores at 43x. The new ATI drivers were a no go for me. DVDplayer and Geekbench crash, as well as a lot of other weird stuff. My card is a XFX Single Slot HD 5770 1GB, and all the ports work (2 DVI and 1 DP, don't have an adapter to test HDMI) I had no problems with this card on legacy 10.6.6, and without the new drivers it is still perfect using Graphics Enabler = Yes. I know that steps 7-10 seem redundant, and you could skip directly to Vanilla Kernel, but for some reason if I don't do it this way it doesn't work, and I have tried several configs many many many times today, so I am just telling how it worked for me.

Everything is working:
64Bit Kernel Running
16gb Memory
Audio NO GLITCHES NO CRACKS
Gfx perfect fast no artifacts
All SATA ports, including Back ESATA (on boot, not hotswap) working.
Firewire detected (not tested)

Any questions or comments feel free to ask.

Re: Vanilla SB 10.6.7 with GA-P67A-UD5-B3 or HUGE SUCCESS <GUIDE

Overclocking to an Intel 2600k to 4.3 Ghz

Geekbench (32-bits) 13195

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/387751

CineBench 11.5 OpenGL 49.12 fps CPU 8.29 pts CPU Single Core 1.66 MP Ratio 4.99x

Attachments

• geekbench.jpg
    geekbench.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,474
  • cinebench.jpg
    cinebench.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,426

You don't need any flags in your Boot.plist, also you could just install retail, do the 10.6.7 update, then install the kernel from the MBP 10.6.7 update with pacifist, install your bootloader, add your kexts, and shave a lot of time off that install.

[edit]

next we need someone to help with a vanilla DSDT for this board to remove the audio kexts (that arent correct anyway) and keep everything out of S/L/E

Well... I only have two flags the -v because I like the scrolling letters at boot :D , and if I don't do PCIRootUID=1 it won't post the graphics card. Do you have it without the PCIRootUID flag? Fuma are you overclocking? What are your results?

Also I do agree my setup is long, and Pacifist should work. The problem I had is that when I went directly to the 10.7.3 kernel without doing the full steps above the graphic cards would not get recognized for some weird reason. It would get locked at the Blue Screen.

michote said:
Well... I only have two flags the -v because I like the scrolling letters at boot :D , and if I don't do PCIRootUID=1 it won't post the graphics card. Do you have it without the PCIRootUID flag? Fuma are you overclocking? What are your results?

yes i have no flags... but I'm using an older nvidia 8600 GT (passive cooled) card for now.

No, I'm not overclocking... for a while I had the cores locked down to 3.2 each, but now I'll try increasing them... and see how stable it is.

I got about 10488 with Geekbench 64.... not too impressive yet (the actual MBP 8,3 gets the same score).

[EDIT]
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/387763
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/chart/show/387763

I just got over 14100 bringing up the cores manually to 4.5, then started a stress test with Prime95... highest temp was about 62c before it leveled off, but shortly after it KP'd.... obviously everything inthe BIOS was on auto.... it prob didnt like the voltage. I'm not really here to throw another variable into the mix though. I prefer to get it rock stable and streamlined "vanilla" first, and then think about OC'ing down the road.

Fantastic! i got a ud4 on the way so i'm looking forward to some 10.6.7 action.

by the way, the turbo overclocking:
keeping multiplier locked at 32x and increasing turbo to 43 or higher, does that mean that the frequency for all cores goes to 4.3ghz when load is high? how is it different than setting multiplier to 43 and keeping turbo at auto?

What are you using to view CPU temps on OSX?

BTW @ 4.3 Prime95 is stable but then again I have a CoolIT ECO ALC Watercooling Unit

http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php/en/eco.html <--- This one, not one of the best, but good enough and cheap.

thanks man. and hey, i recognize that robot you have in your avatar. it's from that show lexx :lol:
i used to watch it back in the day

Thanks for the guide. What about sleep is that working?

I get a semi-sleep. It is not going full OFF.... fans and stuff still going on on the case... but power consumption goes down 45W. When I press the keys, I get instant ON. So I guess it is not full sleep, but something is powering down according to my UPS power meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back