Contribute
Register

Vendetta's G5 Build (In Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
minihack said:
A very thorough job V.

Must admit on my G5 mod.s I did not take such care over the PSU mod side, I did put a temp monitor in there too just to see how things were going though. As I wasn't running very powerful hardware in there I was happy just to have 2 fractal 60mm fans (but the lower part of my rear 120 fan also pulls air through) and they seemed to keep it all nice and cool even running at low speed. Just wondered though how you actually fixed your other two fans in there as they looked like they were just free standing?

I think your finished mod will really be something beautiful to behold. The time spent getting those case fans grey must have been pretty epic!

:thumbup:

Thanks minihack!

You're right, I have been trying to take a lot of care with all the small things in this mod. This is one of those things that I don't think even I will be able to appreciate until it all comes together as one unit. It shouldn't be too long now though, and I hope everyone likes the results.

To answer your question about the fans, they're simple glued on one edge on the bottom to hold them in place. They are tall enough that they make enough contact with the top of the enclosure that they are essentially being sandwiched in there. It's not so much so that it deforms the case or makes it difficult to close, it's just enough that there is enough contact to hold them still but also make it easy enough to close. I did it this way because I could easy pull the fans and figure out another solution if this doesn't work, but it was the simplest and cleanest method for the time being, and it has a great chance of working perfectly. Also, the fans are angled a little bit instead of being square to the PSU or the case. The reason for this is because I didn't want the air to be blown directly at the back of the power connector, but rather to each side of it. So, I angled the fans out a little bit so that the air could pass easily through each side of the opening.

Also, yes, a lot of paint fumes and time went into the case fans. :crazy:

polobear said:
Very nice mod.
Tried the same with one PSU and could not find fans quiet enough...
Either quiet, but not enough airflow, or not good enough to startup with really low voltage. the real bug is that if mounted in the case the airflow in the tunnel like psi cover left me with a pitch high sound i could not stand.
I finally just used a 120mm fan in the front, only partially blowing through the psu. Quiet and cool....

Honestly, these fans were not expensive at all. However, they had a ton of positive reviews, so I went with them. If they turn out to be too loud and obnoxious, I'll give the fan control a shot by turning them down. If that doesn't work, I can always search for new fans. So far in my tests I'm pleased, however.

Vendetta said:
To answer your question about the fans, they're simple glued on one edge on the bottom to hold them in place. They are tall enough that they make enough contact with the top of the enclosure that they are essentially being sandwiched in there.

Ah, okay I see. Do you think the sandwiching though will be causing a bit more noise from the PSU (mechanical vibration direct from fan case to metal?).

minihack said:
Vendetta said:
To answer your question about the fans, they're simple glued on one edge on the bottom to hold them in place. They are tall enough that they make enough contact with the top of the enclosure that they are essentially being sandwiched in there.

Ah, okay I see. Do you think the sandwiching though will be causing a bit more noise from the PSU (mechanical vibration direct from fan case to metal?).

Nope. I don't believe the fans are powerful enough, nor is the PSU chassis flimsy enough to cause such an issue. Typically this would be a concern, but in this situation it doesn't seem to be. Truth is that I won't know for certain until I get the PSU in the G5, but I think that it should be even more sturdy at that point. In most cases, when fans rattling their enclosure creates excess noise, you tend to hear the vibration, which can manifest in different ways, most noticeably buzzing (from my experience). In person, and in that video I believe, all that I heard from the assembly was the whir/purr of the fans. Luckily no buzzing or even bearing whine.

Now, if there is anything free floating or loose inside the PSU, the movement of the fans would make it more prominent for sure. I tried to take care to secure everything as to avoid this problem. So far so good.

Also, above all of that, I didn't really have much in the way of options in this circumstance. :D Ideally you'd surround the fans with some sort of padding, but there simply isn't room in this situation. I could have gone with smaller fans and then surrounded them, but I felt it was important to match the exhaust fans with the intake for proper airflow. Also, once you go smaller than 60mm, you tend to get into fans that are more specialized and don't have many reviews. Not to mention the performance to noise ratio declines quite steadily the smaller you go.

Anywho, let me know if you have any other questions or if I can clear anything else up. :thumbup:

Updated front page picture! Many props and thanks to my man complx for that. :headbang:

Vendetta said:
Updated front page picture! Many props and thanks to my man complx for that. :headbang:
:thumbup:

Dam i tought mi power mac G5 mod was ok but when i see yours I'm thinking to totally re do it :/ it really look awesome keep up the good work

I absolutely love that fan controller, do you happen to have the name for it and possibly where you got it from?

Jeffinslaw

Hi V. Been reading your thread, and I must say. I'm very impressed with the amount of detail you are putting in. :) Although I'm a bit iffy on keeping PART of the old logic board in there lol. ;)

I'm curious about something. Do you remember when you were test fitting the mb i/o shield, and you mentioned you would have to cut up the rear of the case because of the mb i/o shield conflicting with the fan casing? Do you think if you would have actually trimmed the mb i/o shield, that you may have had enough space to not cut up the rear of the case?

My goal is also going to try to keep things looking as stock as possible in the back, and one of the things I keep wondering about was clearance between the i/o shield and the fans if the i/o shield were to be cut as close as possible to the nearest motherboard port. My case should be arriving this week, so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. :cool:

Hey man,
Ive been checking out this thread pretty regularly and Im definitely impressed with your detail in going stock. Im an Architect, so attention to detail is the very essence of what Im looking for any time I do a project as well. I just picked up a G5 that Im going to be working on as well, but we're in the process of moving, so it's on hold for a bit. More time to just look around and learn from how others have done it, right? I was wondering though, why didn't you just remove the OCZ power socket and solder the cables right to the original mac socket? It very well may be an electrical issue, I was just curious about the rationale behind it. I was looking to do something similar myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back