Contribute
Register

Ventura with Skylake, RX 480 - how to get headless iGPU and dGPU working together?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X UD5
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX480
I just set up my Ventura system, using symbios iMac 18.3, I have i7-6700k but spoofed to Kabylake. GA Z170X UD5 board. Followed the OpenCore guide and config for Kabylake.

Now I am in PostInstall. I am trying to confirm 2 things: 1) that the RX 480 is properly working with all cores and 2) iGPU as headless is working

Regarding 1:

I can't tell if the dGPU is set up with all cores available. Under System Report I see

AMD Radeon RX 480:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon RX 480
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 8 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67df
Revision ID: 0x00c7
Metal Support: Metal 2

but I thought under System Report there should be a line Total Number of Cores.

Just want to be sure my 4K editing will be as smooth as possible.

Now for issue 2:

Not sure if this is related to any potential issues, but when running VDADecoderChecker I get error

VDADecoderCreate failed. err: -12473

An error was returned by the decoder layer. This may happen for example because of bitstream/data errors during a decode operation. This error may also be returned from VDADecoderCreate when hardware decoder resources are available on the system but currently in use by another process.

In Hackintool I see

VDA Decoder: Decoder Failed

Other info in Hackintool:

GPU Name: Intel HD Graphics 530

GPU Device ID: 0x19128086

Under UEFI->Reserved Memory->Comment I see HD3000: IGPU memory corruption errata

Under Device Properties I have PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) AAPL,ig-platform-id 03001259

I followed the OpenCore guide quite precisely, but just not sure if something nonetheless is not quite right. And I have read about whatevergreen and framebuffer patching but from what I udnerstand that doesn't apply in headless iGPU case.

I BIOS I wasn't sure if I need to disable iGPU. For now it is enabled.

In any case, if anyone has tips to ensure that GPU performance is maximized, including the availability in parallel of headless iGPU in FCP and other programs, please let me know.

thanks!

Have a look at Section 4-2 of this guide for some tips and advice :-

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
AMD Radeon RX 480:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon RX 480
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 8 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67df
Revision ID: 0x00c7
Metal Support: Metal 2
This is correct, this report never shows the number of 'core'/'shaders' present in the dGPU.

Under UEFI->Reserved Memory->Comment I see HD3000: IGPU memory corruption errata
Ignore or delete this entry and the other reserved memory entry. You don't have a HD3000 IGPU, and these entries have no bearing on your system.

Under Device Properties I have PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) AAPL,ig-platform-id 03001259
This is a headless framebuffer, but it is wrong for your Skylake system.
This is a headless framebuffer for a Kaby Lake IGPU.
The headless framebuffer for a Skylake HD 530 IGPU is <01001219>

I just set up my Ventura system, using symbios iMac 18.3, I have i7-6700k but spoofed to Kabylake.
To spoof the Skylake IGPU as a Kaby Lake IGPU you need to add the following entry to the IGPU's DeviceProperties:

Key Type Value
device-id DATA <00001259>

As I understood from reading the whatevergreen site

"
Spoof Skylake as Kaby Lake on macOS 13+

Make sure that WhateverGreen v1.6.0 or above is used. Then, it is necessary to fake device-id and choose an ig-platform-id from Kaby Lake that is closest to the Skylake model (e.g. HD 530 to HD 630). "

That is why I chose those particular values. Am I missing something? Also I have symbios 18.3.

I read here:

And there I see device-id 12590000 recommended, thought I have also read that in headless mode it isn't even necessary. But when I was leaving it out Hackintool wasn't showing VDA Decoder as fully supported.

Here is what Hackintool currently shows:

Intel Generation: Kaby Lake
Platform ID: 0x59120003
VDA Encoder: Fully Supported
GPU Name: Intel HD Graphics 630
GPU Device ID: 0x59128086

And OpenCore Configurator shows as attached.

Things seem ok...

thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 13.36.22.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 13.36.22.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back