Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I guess a lot of people already know this and I'm just late to the party, but after my regular, favourite, Internet Radio app stopped working I was looking for a replacement. There are commercial offerings and paid-for options on the App Store, but being charged to listen to free Internet Radio stations went against the grain. And I needed to be able to add custom streams/URLs.

VLC is already available in Intel and ARM versions for macOS and should be in all Mac/Hack users toolkits. The Music app is with us all the time.

VLC's streaming options are easy to find - just open the File menu and select Open Network - and you can build a playlist of Internet Radio stations by adding your URLs one-by-one and then saving the *.m3u playlist file. There are many sites that list individual Internet Radio channels and a right-click "Copy Link" on the Play button often gives you what you need.

vlc.jpg

I also learned I could edit the *.m3u playlist file with a text-editor to tidy it up and make the channel list look a lot neater.

Plist.jpg

What I hadn't realised before was I could just add the playlist to the Music app and all the channels would be available there too. I can also add Info/Artwork if I wish.

Music.jpg

With the Music App just "Open Stream URL..." from the File menu doesn't add a playable station that I can see.

Play.png

.. .as you can see here, the station I added from VLC's playlist, plays. The one URL added directly with the Music app, and not neatened-up by me, doesn't.

Any guidance out there gratefully received! :thumbup:

:)

Last edited:
If you are on your M1 Mac mini, try the radio.net iOS app (Get it from the Mac App Store).

Can't run it on Intel Macs or hacks...

If you are on your M1 Mac mini, try the radio.net iOS app (Get it from the Mac App Store).

Can't run it on Intel Macs or hacks...

Ah, good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. :thumbup:

Back