Contribute
Register

Win 10 on Mac Mini Mid 2010 Blank Screen installing VGA Driver if use GPT format

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2
CPU
i5 2320
Graphics
GT 720
I'm trying to install windows 10 64 bit on my 2010 Mac Mini. Once finished, I installed the NVIDIA VGA Driver by downloading it on the NVIDIA website page. but after I installed it, there was a black screen. and no matter how many times I turn on my mac Mini, it remains the same.

I tried reinstalling Windows 10 again, then I used the VGA driver from the Mac High Sierra Boot Camp download.

I thought, maybe the driver was different from the series I was looking for on the NVIDIA website, but in reality, if I used the driver downloaded via boot camp, it couldn't be run via setup, and I was forced to install the driver via Windows Device Manager. And it turns out the result is the same. Blank Screen again.

So now I want to try installing Windows 10 via my External DVD Drive. because I have used the internal DVD to install the HDD, so I have to try using the external DVD first.

Actually, I have installed Windows 7 64 Bit and Windows 10 Bit before, and I didn't use USB as the installer media. and both succeeded. I installed Windows by taking over all the HDD/SSD. In essence, I got rid of MacOS, I just wanted to know whether it had to be partitioned into two disks before Windows could be installed or whether it could control all the disks.

To format the disk, I went to the Refair your computer menu in Setup install windows, then I clicked Advaced options, and chose Command Prompt as the execution tool. by using the command in the DISKPAT Command Prompt.

by typing:

diskpart (enter)
list disk (enter)
select disk 0 (enter, disk used for System on my computer)
clean (enter)

type again:

list disk (enter)
select disk 0 (enter)
create partition primary (enter)
list partition (enter)
select partition 1 (enter)
active (enter)
format fs=ntfs label=windows quick (enter)
assign (enter)

and exit the command prompt window.

then click Turn off your PC

restart the mac mini, and select USB disk EFI boot

oh.. I forgot, that I installed Windows 10 64 Bit which is black screen. Please install it using a USB drive, by using the unebootin application.
and when I installed it, Windows asked for a GPT disk format, so when I continued to create a disk using the installation menu from Windows.

and the difference between installing using a DVD and USB lies in the monitor screen space. If you use USB the screen will be Full with 1080 resolution, but if you use DVD it will look small. visible on the bezell of the frame.

So, if you want to install Windows 7 or Windows 10, you have to use a DVD drive. It sounds old-fashioned, but that's all that works for installing a VGA driver. and you also need to pay attention, the disk format must be MBR, otherwise GPT will not work on Mac Mini 2010, I don't know if this also applies to devices above it or not.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 7.png
    7.png
    745.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 5.png
    5.png
    333.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.png
    4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
I'm trying to install windows 10 64 bit on my 2010 Mac Mini. Once finished, I installed the NVIDIA VGA Driver by downloading it on the NVIDIA website page. but after I installed it, there was a black screen. and no matter how many times I turn on my mac Mini, it remains the same.

I tried reinstalling Windows 10 again, then I used the VGA driver from the Mac High Sierra Boot Camp download.

I thought, maybe the driver was different from the series I was looking for on the NVIDIA website, but in reality, if I used the driver downloaded via boot camp, it couldn't be run via setup, and I was forced to install the driver via Windows Device Manager. And it turns out the result is the same. Blank Screen again.

So now I want to try installing Windows 10 via my External DVD Drive. because I have used the internal DVD to install the HDD, so I have to try using the external DVD first.

Actually, I have installed Windows 7 64 Bit and Windows 10 Bit before, and I didn't use USB as the installer media. and both succeeded. I installed Windows by taking over all the HDD/SSD. In essence, I got rid of MacOS, I just wanted to know whether it had to be partitioned into two disks before Windows could be installed or whether it could control all the disks.

To format the disk, I went to the Refair your computer menu in Setup install windows, then I clicked Advaced options, and chose Command Prompt as the execution tool. by using the command in the DISKPAT Command Prompt.

by typing:

diskpart (enter)
list disk (enter)
select disk 0 (enter, disk used for System on my computer)
clean (enter)

type again:

list disk (enter)
select disk 0 (enter)
create partition primary (enter)
list partition (enter)
select partition 1 (enter)
active (enter)
format fs=ntfs label=windows quick (enter)
assign (enter)

and exit the command prompt window.

then click Turn off your PC

restart the mac mini, and select USB disk EFI boot

oh.. I forgot, that I installed Windows 10 64 Bit which is black screen. Please install it using a USB drive, by using the unebootin application.
and when I installed it, Windows asked for a GPT disk format, so when I continued to create a disk using the installation menu from Windows.

and the difference between installing using a DVD and USB lies in the monitor screen space. If you use USB the screen will be Full with 1080 resolution, but if you use DVD it will look small. visible on the bezell of the frame.

So, if you want to install Windows 7 or Windows 10, you have to use a DVD drive. It sounds old-fashioned, but that's all that works for installing a VGA driver. and you also need to pay attention, the disk format must be MBR, otherwise GPT will not work on Mac Mini 2010, I don't know if this also applies to devices above it or not.

Hi there.

I suspect you already know the following, but ...

The latest version of Windows this old Mini supports officially is Windows 7 - 64bit.

Bootcamp for High Sierra should contain a viable driver for your Geforce 320M graphics.

I would need to check if the Nvidia web-drivers contained code for such an old GPU.

:)

The problem that arises is not actually the NVIDIA graphics driver download file, but if I install Windows via bootable USB the result is a screen. because I have tested reinstalling again using a DVD Drive, installing the nvidia graphics driver was very successful without any problems, because I just wanted the graphics driver to be updated to the version for Windows 10 64 bit.

The problem that arises is not actually the NVIDIA graphics driver download file, but if I install Windows via bootable USB the result is a screen. because I have tested reinstalling again using a DVD Drive, installing the nvidia graphics driver was very successful without any problems, because I just wanted the graphics driver to be updated to the version for Windows 10 64 bit.

Sorry, I thought you said you had a black screen and that was the problem. What I said still stands. Is core2duo compatible? 320M?

Sorry, I thought you said you had a black screen and that was the problem. What I said still stands. Is core2duo compatible? 320M?
I don't understand about that, the thing that makes me strange is, why when I install Windows 10 64 bit, if I format the disk with GPT or EFI format, it becomes problematic to install the VGA driver, if I install Windows 10 with MBR format it doesn't a problem occurred. Regarding whether it supports Core2 Duo and Nvidia 320M or not, as long as I get the download file from the developer's website and it says it supports Windows 10 64 bit, I think that's an honest answer. You can check it on the Nvidia website.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240211-235131_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240211-235131_Chrome.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
How about installing Win7 64 bit first, get all the drivers installed then upgrade to Win10 64 bit ?

Not sure if this is the problem or not. Apple says that 2010 mini has no support for Windows past 8.1.

I think maybe just for boot-camp. because I just tried to install Windows 10 64 bit, it's possible, as long as it doesn't install via Flash Drive. I used an external DVD in installing Windows by formatting the disk to MBR instead of GPT. This is why older devices may not be supported by Windows 8.1 and above. For other drivers, I downloaded them via Higt Sierra boot-camp. even though he only gave me the Windows 7 driver. for graphics via the official website.

How about installing Win7 64 bit first, get all the drivers installed then upgrade to Win10 64 bit ?
Actuall, I still want to use Windows 7, but now lot of support is no longer supported, making me have to switch windows 10. And microsoft plans to withdraw support for windows 10 in 2025.

Last edited:
And microsoft plans to withdraw support for windows 10 in 2025.
This just for the OS security patches. Chrome browser will still offer updates for Win10 users for many years after 2025. If you run security software for Win10 like Malwarebytes it will be no problem to keep using it many years after 2025.

Used 2012 Mac minis are very low cost these days. Buy one of those and run Win10 on it. Should be very easy to do.

Screen Shot 20.jpg

Last edited:
Back