i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Here's the highlights of the MS developer event.

MS Build three weeks ago showed off new AI features to be added to Windows 11. Looks like some significant changes coming to Windows 11. It will be a lot more than just Windows 10 with some new polish on the UI. To me it looks like this is just a way to kill off Windows 10 Cortana and replace "her" with something more useful to Windows users. Windows Copilot. Sam Tucker goes even farther back and has simply renamed it "ClippyGPT."

Last edited:
@c-o-pr You'll be happy to know that Clippy really is back in the new 2023 AI infused version of Windows 11.

Satya Nadella claims Copilot will make every Windows user a "power user." From what I've seen of the baby boom and older generation that struggles just with basic tasks on a WinPC, not very likely.

Last edited:
MSFT already regards the PC as a thought-delivery device.

The new AI will complete a cycle by doing the thinking for the renter of the appliance, while maintaining the necessary illusion that the renter is powerfully directing his own activity.
Why do I use the term "renter?" For 40 years, these devices have become conduits for the extraction of intellectual rent. Anyone will be wise to note that the devices do not belong to you in any true sense of ownership. When you start them, you see the message "Welcome". Imagine if whenever you came home and opened your front-door, there was a company factotum standing before you saying "Welcome" and expecting you to shake his hand before you can enter the house you think is yours. This is the objective reality of these devices.

I might suppose that none of this is lost on anyone here... The whole point of hackintosh is obviously an attempt by free individuals to mediate the inexorable pull of their toil in the fertile fields of the world-wide-web into profits due the manor houses of Silicon Valley finance. Apple is a little more polite about the coercion because they plan to more completely integrate their serfs into the plantation via intellectual share-cropping. Apple has always been open about this: It's the whole point of the 1984 commercial!

In this way, MSFT's AI agenda is actually laughable, because it proudly regards the customer as a child to be guided by a skewmorphic mascot: Clippy will ensure your viability as a labor resource by harmonizing your speech with the other bots who will be conducting your life. Sure you could learn to talk like a bot yourself, but you might as well let their bot do it for you.

It's generally overlooked that once self-driving vehicles are perfected, where they passenger chooses to go will become irrelevant: you will go where the car takes you, and letting the car determine your destination will become an ordinary expectation. This is exactly what's needed to fully direct a population towards the productive ends of its owners. And if you are charmed and entertained along the way, so much the better for them! A good slave never has cause to question his servitude.

The great danger of AI is not that it will gain sentience and rise up to prefer its own needs, the danger is its use by people in further enslavement of each other, of which there is 500 years of industrial tradition.

At least here, there's still some questioning, which I consider a hopeful sign.

It's generally overlooked that once self-driving vehicles are perfected, where they passenger chooses to go will become irrelevant: you will go where the car takes you, and letting the car determine your destination will become an ordinary expectation. This is exactly what's needed to fully direct a population towards the productive ends of its owners. And if you are charmed and entertained along the way, so much the better for them! A good slave never has cause to question his servitude.

Reminded me of Philip K Dick's novel "Flow my tears the Policeman said".

:)

AI Has Poisoned Its Well

Microsoft is plugging AI tools into their flagship Office Suite software. Writing well is a skill that few possess today, and these companies are creating an environment where even fewer people will bother to learn and practice professional writing.

Oversimple, but appropriate concerns.

But there's nothing new here either, intellectual door has always been open the inherent problems of the intellectual passageway.

Idle Words | Why Not Mars

From ref in article above, this really deserves a second look:

Also:

Idle Words| Web Design: The First 100 Years

Last edited:
From what I've seen of the baby boom and older generation that struggles just with basic tasks on a WinPC, not very likely.
I resemble that remark.

It all depends on how much the individual used a computer. If only to browse the web and look at email, the user will never be a power user of any kind. If the user was heavily into systems admin and support, and/or actually used the Office programs (Word, Powerpoint, Access, etc.) in their daily work, then they might become a "power user" if they were close to being one already. For most of the baby boom and older generation there will be no opportunity to become a Windows 11 power user because we are all retired!! For those who are working 'til they are over 70, they might become one if they really work at it, but probably not. By that age (and I know 'cause I am that age), you get set in your habits and learning something totally new like that probably won't happen. Teams still had not taken hold where I worked when I retired and when you held a meeting it was in person in a conference room - no net meetings for us.

Reminded me of Philip K Dick's novel "Flow my tears the Policeman said".

:)
Another sci-fi fan! Wish you were close enough to take thirty+ Uhaul boxes of f&sf paperbacks from over 50 years of collecting them. I hate to throw away books but I can't find anyone who will take them as a donation! They are the last of my brother's estate that I have to do something with.

Another sci-fi fan! Wish you were close enough to take thirty+ Uhaul boxes of f&sf paperbacks from over 50 years of collecting them. I hate to throw away books but I can't find anyone who will take them as a donation! They are the last of my brother's estate that I have to do something with.

Ha! Well mine are mostly in boxes in the garage since we moved house and "downsized"!

All published books I could get of Poul Anderson - a lot sourced from the US. A lot of Asimov, Harry Harrison, etc. Started when I was 15 or so. :)

Same over here re books. Charity Shops turn their noses up, and trying to sell online is pointless because of postage charges. In bulk, the same.

AI (artificial intelligence) are the latest "buzzwords" that (almost) every Nasdaq listed corporation wants to claim they will be using to make their company more profitable. Nvidia is profiting greatly by selling GPUs for data centers that make publicly accessible, ChatGPT possible. Google at their latest presentation (Google I/O '23) talked about primarily AI through the majority of their keynote.

Apple didn't mention AI or VR once during WWDC's keynote presentation. It was mainly focused on the new Vision Pro headset which is mostly AR focused. They use terms like machine learning but that's about it. MKBHD explains more about why he thinks they're avoiding even mentioning AI publicly.

Last edited:
BTW if you're wondering how much interest there is in the new Vision Pro headset, look at the views for MKB's video on that. 16 million views when he averages about 3 million views for most videos he posts on YT.

Screen Shot 21.jpg

Back