Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell
CPU
i7
Graphics
GTX2080
Hi all,

Wondering if you can let me know if it's possible to get Catalina installed on my Dell XPS 8940?
  • 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700 processor
  • Windows 10 Home
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6
  • 16GB, 1x16GB, DDR4, 2933MHz
  • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive + 2TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
I have tried a couple of times with Clover but am getting stalled at the apple screen - any ideas?

Thanks!

Was afraid so, thanks for the quick response!

hmmm tried that as well, but still hangs at the apple logo after selecting Install Catalina from the Clover boot screen.

its possible, i have one and its working great after a bit of work - (with a few caveats)

i havent tried to get internal graphics working because i added a radeon rx560 and try as i might, i cant get the onboard audio working (i am using a usb focusrite interface for sound now and that is great) - the network card that comes with it needs to be replaced with a mac os compatible one if you want wifi/bluetooth (which i did)

catalina works but i decided to move up to big sur

That’s awesome to hear, and thanks for posting! I’ve been waiting for some good news. I’ve tried numerous times (both opencore and clover) with many hours invested and no success. I’ll checkout the rx560, am almost certain the onboard video / RTX2060 are the culprits causing all the grief. Curious though, you installed Big Sur via opencore?

That’s awesome to hear, and thanks for posting! I’ve been waiting for some good news. I’ve tried numerous times (both opencore and clover) with many hours invested and no success. I’ll checkout the rx560, am almost certain the onboard video / RTX2060 are the culprits causing all the grief. Curious though, you installed Big Sur via opencore?
yep - fresh install using open core guide for comet lake

yep - fresh install using open core guide for comet lake
Hmm I think we have different PC’s. Sourced an RX560 and doesn’t work on my XPS8940. Totally different BIOS than the the legacy bios on XPS8930. Will see what other card I can come up with that’s gonna work

Hmm I think we have different PC’s. Sourced an RX560 and doesn’t work on my XPS8940. Totally different BIOS than the the legacy bios on XPS8930. Will see what other card I can come up with that’s gonna work
i have an msi card. i believe xfx cards should be avoided

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back